Spoilers > Prog

Prog 2246 Regened - It's a Monster

<< < (2/15) > >>

Richard:
I thought Mayflies worked perfectly well as a self-contained story. Maybe it will be part of a continuing series, but it works well on its own. It was my favourite strip in the prog.

Barrington Boots:
Second Saturday Prog where I'm away for the weekend - stinking luck! As ever I'm aware that a man in his 40s reviewing a comic meant mainly for children is not easy, but I've been reading a load of The Phoenix and talking to children I'm related to about comics they like, so here we go.

Start with the cover - I liked it. It's bold and striking. My copy came with two covers, one all ripped up and mangled and then another pristine one stapled over it. Bonus! (of sorts)

Cadet Dredd - Felt quite safe and ordinary - looked nice, and am I the only one who thought Dredd had a touch of the Johnny Aplha about him with his green stripey top and yellow shoulderpad? Dredd seems to be consistently among the weakest strips in the Regend Progs: it feels like the concept is shoehorned in for the character rather than a more organic idea. IPs point about him connecting with the child readership I think is also a good one. Dredd here is neither a badass cop nor a cool child. I know when I gave a prevuous Regened to my brothers kids they couldn't have been less interested in him.

Mayflies - I may be at odds with the rest of the board here but didn't like this. I like the concept, and I think it's got definite legs, but the story seemed to cram a lot in with not much of it being action / exciting, and I couldn't remember who anyone was without reading the previous strip (which was months ago) - a Bash Street Kids style 'character heads and names' title wouldn't have gone amiss here. Definitely feels like this is part 2 of a longer run, with the gaps bewtween episodes hurting it: it also felt like a setup episode, when the previous episode was also a setup episode...? Finally as much as I am a huge fan of Coleby's art and enjoyed it here, I'm really not sure it's suited to an all-ages prog as literally everything I see kids reading has a very different style to it. Feels like this story has a ton of potential but needs a fine tune.

'Splorers - Definitely the best thing here IMO. Straightforward plot, absolutely gorgeous art, it's silly / funny / exciting / gross, which I think are all things children like in comics, and it's got enough nerd jokes in it to also make it readable for an adult, so it's got that all-ages thing going on. I think SG had run it's course but as a followup this could run for a while. Lovely stuff.

Future Shock - Art here was really, really good and felt in line with stuff I've read in The Phoenix etc. Not much of a Twist here but I think, if targeting an all-age audience, a more straightforward scifi tale is better. Good work here.

Chopper - The story didn't do anything for me but I did feel the art, again, was a good fit for the all ages prog. Chopper isn't cool / anarchic enough here to really stand out as a character here: add in the baggage of him being poorly used after his epic death and it felt unwelcome to see him back - I'd rather this was done with a new character, like a future Dennis the Menace, with more craziness / lawbreaking going on and less hearkening back to an IP kids won't care about.

Next week - Jaegir! This is AWESOME.

IndigoPrime:

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 23 August, 2021, 10:04:31 AM ---who thought Dredd had a touch of the Johnny Aplha about him with his green stripey top and yellow shoulderpad
--- End quote ---
I figured that was an intentional nod. His undercover name was John. (Also, with the face changes being done that far back, god knows what happened before all the crims saw Dredd’s face during the infamous “censored” incident way back!)

--- Quote ---IPs point about him connecting with the child readership I think is also a good one. Dredd here is neither a badass cop nor a cool child.
--- End quote ---
He’s fundamentally a spoilsport, and it’s quite curious that this issue is championing Chopper at the end, who Dredd would immediately jail regardless of his intentions. It feels very “do the right thing, kids”, in a manner that just doesn’t sit right with me. If nothing else, it just feels very safe and cookie cutter. Compare that to, say, Full Tilt Boogie, which seemed comparatively fresh, interesting and different.

--- Quote ---Mayflies - … I'm really not sure it's suited to an all-ages prog as literally everything I see kids reading has a very different style to it.
--- End quote ---
Although being notably grimmer, it’s not a million miles away from some of the action fare in The Phoenix (Trailblazers; Legacy), but the lack of frequency robs it of momentum. That said, even in two episodes it manages to be more interesting than most versions of Rogue Trooper, so that’s something.

Boots: totally agree with everything you say on Chopper. Again, there must be an editorial line here or something. Chopper felt very gentle. But perhaps an anarchic character who always gets one over on the Judges could be fun. That said, I’d sooner see new IP/worlds, given that they seem the most successful things so far from this run of mags for younglings.

Tomontherun94:
Out of all the things I wouldn't expect in 2000AD, a reference to the end credits song from an obscure (but excellent) Aliens DS game is pretty high up there

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 August, 2021, 10:43:31 AM ---

--- Quote ---Mayflies - … I'm really not sure it's suited to an all-ages prog as literally everything I see kids reading has a very different style to it.
--- End quote ---
Although being notably grimmer, it’s not a million miles away from some of the action fare in The Phoenix (Trailblazers; Legacy), but the lack of frequency robs it of momentum. That said, even in two episodes it manages to be more interesting than most versions of Rogue Trooper, so that’s something.

--- End quote ---

That's true about Trailblazers, I more meant the art being of a different style.. I couldn't see Coleby's art as drawn here working in something like the Phoenix despite how much I personally might like it. I reckon Mayflies would be a lot more appealing to all-ages readers if it was drawn by someline like Neill Cameron (although it is, as you say, a grimmer setting!)
There's a lot of assumption here on my part though tbf.

On the Dreddworld side, I do like the idea of a young perp always annoying Dredd and getting away with it, or some Grimly Feendish style bungler whose plans go wrong every issue but he just about escapes. Problem with both of these is it would make Dredd / the Justice Dept look a bit hapless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version