Main Menu

Prog 2247 - Sick Building Syndrome

Started by Freddychopper, 28 August, 2021, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddychopper

Starting it off with the awesome Percival cover art & Dredd inside:

Freddychopper

And the printed version:

Quite a contrast to last week's Prog but always up for a spooky story  :)

MumboJimbo

3 new thrills? It's a QJOP! (Quasi-Jumping On Prog)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 28 August, 2021, 08:57:39 PM
3 new thrills? It's a QJOP! (Quasi-Jumping On Prog)

Its more like filling the gaps before a relaunch BUT Tharg is getting better at this and he's filling it with decent stuff.

Dredd is magnificent - Kenneth Neimand seems to be finding another beat for his drum, which is just what he needed to do. This one is creepy as hell and therefore Nick Percival's art is perfect for it.

Skip Tracer has another good episode - okay so 'Don't you ever... say... her... name." gets its standard hard man movie cliche in  - but aside from that its very good.

Dexter has another great episode as Ray and Finny come face to face and we get a surprise return.

Both these thrills are cranking up the... well thrills as they head toward their ends before 2250 (i assume).

3riller - The Mask of Laverna - rattles though some set up in an effective manner that just forgets to give us a hook to really care. Its interesting I'm just no bought in just having been interesting by a lot of events, not characters yet.

Jaegir in its opener gives us all the character we need and man is Jaegir's going down an even darker path and at the end... well is this going to be the very zenith of 'daddy issues'? Who knows yet but its a grimly entertaining journey finding out.

When I looked through this prior to reading I got a little heavy hearted it just screamed pre-jump on Prog filler... then I read it and it screamed thriller. Good stuff Tharg.

The Corinthian

Given that they're both back in the strip at the same time is there any reason why it's not yet being called 'Sinister Dexter' again.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Corinthian on 29 August, 2021, 11:47:35 AM
Given that they're both back in the strip at the same time is there any reason why it's not yet being called 'Sinister Dexter' again.

I thought it seemed fairly clear that Sinister was dead, and this is basically his technologically-reanimated corpse. (Which isn't to say they won't deprogramme him by the end and return to the usual shenanigans, but at the current stage in the story, it's still Dexter's strip, I feel.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

Am I mmisremebering the Sinsiter focuses episodes are called "SInister" and vice versa?  Presumably, once reunited the title will return..

More Neimand?  Neice! 

Richard

The strip is only called Sinister Dexter when they're partners. When they're adversaries it's called something else (see Downlode Tales).

Barrington Boots

Post bank-holiday, post-Regened Prog review. Tbh this one, on the whole, didn't sparkle for me.

Dredd - it's a set up episode and feels like a bit of an ordinary start, but has potential to be cool: I'm puzzled by Dredd telling the other judge to disregard spooky stories of the haunted block when he himself spends a load of time fighting all sorts of supernatural stuff.. I'm not a fan of Nick Percivals art myself as I find it feels a bit static, but that's very much a personal thing and I can't deny the craft at work here.

Skip Tracer it's cliche-fest sadly, but there are some terrific panels here using Nimrod's cyber-eye: the one at the top of page 3 is great! Really enjoyed this episode visually.

Dexter same as before really, all interest has been sucked out of this especially with one protagonist (antagonist now, I suppose) now unkillable. Some lovely kinetic violence in the art on the final page however.

3riller - Sets the story up and it's ready to kick off. I remember enjoying the previous Thriller with Delphi but can't actually remember much about it so I need to go back and reread that, I think. Cool art from Steven Austin - I'd actually quite like to see this in black and white.

Jaegir Delighted to see this back and things certainly seem to have taken a darker turn. The Nordland looks superbly dour and the Norts themselves remain all impressively ugly, and I liked the holographic conversation / flashback giving us the backstory. Atalia going full on baddie seems soul-crushingly inevitable - I'd read a strip about Klaur and Reesa having adventures if it came to it though. This is a grim story and I am really into it: the downside being I'm assuming we're only getting three episodes, if 2250 is a jumping on Prog, or am I wrong?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 31 August, 2021, 11:07:23 AM
Jaegir ....the downside being I'm assuming we're only getting three episodes, if 2250 is a jumping on Prog, or am I wrong?

Yes 2250 is a jump-on but it ight not be the case that Jaegir is only 3 episodes it might even end in 2250. Lasyt year's jump-on-prog contained the third part of the Sin/Dex story. I really like Jaegir so hopefully we can have more than less
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Well, here are with the start of a mini run into the 2250 event. The new stories do give the prog a fresher feel, whereas the previous run just felt a little it was missing something.

Dredd – Good start to the new story and the right artist is providing the visuals, nice and creepy. I would love to see Nick doing a regen story.

Skip – Action full episode as Nolan and Nimrod fights it out and soon baby Nolan will come to the rescue. Great art by Marshall

Dexter – As Sinister's hunt for "revenge" continues the story heats up with an interesting end to this episode.

The Mask of Laverna – Another thriller that has a return, this one has an interesting premises.

Jaegir –  A dark twisted start to the new arc and Coleby is on song, great start. I would really like a more prolonged run of Jaegir and hopefully this story will be ignition to it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

No more Skip Tracer please.

I love Nick Percival's art. Always happy to see Ken Niemand in the prog too.

The Corinthian

There's an odd colouring error on page 3 of 'The Path of Kali', where the GI (Rosario?) is given normal human skin tones for her first appearance. Rogue Trooper's been around for 40 years now, you'd think everyone would know they're blue by now.

I am going to be mildly annoyed if it turns out Jaegir is only 3-4 episodes after sitting through what feels like 89 weeks of Skip Tracer.

broodblik

broodblik

Quote from: The Corinthian on 01 September, 2021, 01:34:50 PM
I am going to be mildly annoyed if it turns out Jaegir is only 3-4 episodes after sitting through what feels like 89 weeks of Skip Tracer.

I do not want to burst your bubble but Jaegir looks like a 3 part story. Prog 2250 features 7 "new" stories