Main Menu

Prog 2273 - The Coldest War

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 March, 2022, 09:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: The Corinthian on 16 March, 2022, 06:18:17 PM

Is that a 'Zenith' reference in Fiends of the Eastern Front?

It would be interesting if it was, or it might just be a reference to Himmler and the Nazi Occultists, but you never know if Masterman / Maximan Serum gets banded about

Such a Great Cover by Tiernen Trevallion, as much as I liked his colour work, I think it's the greyscale where he excels and this is looking wonderful so far in the prog

norton canes

Yeah it's a great, intriguing cover from TT, looks almost like the interface for a point-and-click adventure game.

Inside, Fiends' first episode begins with a great opening couple of pages before becoming a bit bogged down. The men from the ministry are understandably perplexed by how a horde of karakurt spiders entered the plane's cockpit but don't seem surprised that they subsequently devoured the pilot, despite no indication that species is able to consume human flesh. Anyway this 'protect queen and country from dark forces' is all a bit Absalom, dare I say?

'The Citadel' is about the best read this week, if for no other reason that I'm fascinated to see just how grim and horrible it can get. Another puzzling instalment of Kingmaker, and I don't even want to think what that green slug thing has been up to. Proteus Vex maintains its high standard. Are some of these ongoing stories getting more instalments now? PV hits part twelve and Kingmaker obviously will have at least eleven. A move to give the stories more time to develop, à la Brink? Or a measure to reduce the amount of new strips? Anyone?

Finally in Brink itself the Abnett droid gently raises the heat, bringing the mixture to a foreboding simmer...

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 18 March, 2022, 11:53:20 AM
.....Are some of these ongoing stories getting more instalments now? PV hits part twelve and Kingmaker obviously will have at least eleven. A move to give the stories more time to develop, à la Brink? Or a measure to reduce the amount of new strips? Anyone?

I actually like it that strips are not bound by the default 10,12 episodes but give it more episodes to develop. The Out was 14 episodes and it looks like Vex will be at least 13 (14 if you count the 10 pages in the xmas prog)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 16 March, 2022, 09:37:17 AM
And all of Lawless in the Meg.

The prog's first page of Fiends and the Lawless in the Meg has now been fixed
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

Quote from: norton canes on 18 March, 2022, 11:53:20 AM

Fiends' ...this 'protect queen and country from dark forces' is all a bit Absalom, dare I say?

Now that would be some very interesting linage...

M.I.K.

I'm wondering if there could be a [spoiler]Dracula File[/spoiler] tie-in on the horizon.

Magnetica

Great Prog for me.

Loving Kingmaker and Brink the most. I don't get the "Brink" is too slow comment that seems to crop up from time to time. I think the comparison with the The Wire someone made last week was spot on.
Also the developments in Kingmaker over the last couple of weeks are intriguing and take the strip in an interesting direction.

Proteus Vex is good as ever.

I'm enjoying The Citadel and Fiends had a good, solid opening episode.

Barrington Boots

Pretty much just got my copy so only a quick review this week.

Kingmaker was for me the most interesting, if not the most satisfying - it's become clear that the series I thought this was going to be isn't happening and it looks like we're moving onto something much bigger. I still feel this series has a bit of a rushed feel to it but I've faith in the creative team so let's see what happens next. I think this series might be the best thing I have seen from Leigh Gallagher in the Prog and that's up against some strong competition.
I don't think Dredd is too out of character (for Apoc War Dredd) this week and I'm really enjoying reading this ruthless little tale. Dan Cornwell is knocking it out of the park on the art.
Vex is superb as ever, whilst after the spiders, Fiends feels like all setup and Brink continues it's ominous build.
Absolutely loving the cover this week, eyecatching and full of interesting little detail.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Great cover, loving it.

Dredd a cracking episode, not sure how this changes everything as the strapline for the series promised, but in Big W we trust!

Fiends is of to a flying start, intrigue and Cold War shenanigans, can't see the Greenie droid allowing his  Absalom Uncivil Service to be used, but you never know.

Protex Blue charging along, looks like a big show down on the cards.

Brink will need a reread for me, it always does so much better when read en mass.

Kingmaker just doesn't do it for me, so skippity skip. 

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Is that Charlie Brown and Pigpen I see in that pile of bodies in the final Dredd panel?
DDT did a job on me