Main Menu

Prog 2292 - United Front

Started by broodblik, 27 July, 2022, 04:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Cover by Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Well it is difficult to review prog when 3 out of 5 stories is literally wordless (speech bubbles has been shot to bits by Dredd). I believe this is a digital only problem it is on the App and the downloadable progs as well from the webstore.

The Corinthian

Quote from: broodblik on 27 July, 2022, 04:08:59 AM
Well it is difficult to review prog when 3 out of 5 stories is literally wordless (speech bubbles has been shot to bits by Dredd). I believe this is a digital only problem it is on the App and the downloadable progs as well from the webstore.

Tbf, it made 'Skip Tracer' a bit easier to get through.

Jim_Campbell

Yep. Both the CBZ and PDF versions. Duly reported to the Powers That Be...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Aaron A Aardvark

Quote from: The Corinthian on 27 July, 2022, 08:35:33 AM

Tbf, it made 'Skip Tracer' a bit easier to get through.
Sad but true?  The deadly dull dialogue was my biggest problem with it.

Proudhuff

Great cover and great Dredd, the time-flipping is slightly annoying artwork also top notch.
Skipped Skip and Sin/Dex both well by their sell-by imho.
Blink finally gets moving, but still only talking heads. While a quality Jaegir bookends the prog nicely.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

ow! Just noticed that subtle 2K roof logo on the cover, excellent!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2022, 09:07:56 AM

Yep. Both the CBZ and PDF versions. Duly reported to the Powers That Be...

Both the CBZ and PDF from the webstore has been fixed but not the version on the iPad

Barrington Boots

Great cover this week, I love the placement of the logo.

Dredd I'm digging the way this is being told with what I assume is the very gradual reveal of plots within plots although part of me would prefer that we just got straight to the action. Art is terrific although I'm finding the depcition of Brit-cit to be a bit lacking in futuristic flair.
Skip Tracer This is pretty terrible. The [spoiler]little guys sacrifice[/spoiler] lacks any impact whatsoever - I know he's a long running character, but I know next to nothing about him. The dialogue feels very hackneyed and the story lacks any kind of tension.
Dexter Solid stuff, this has been one of the better Dexter solo tales. I suspect the real gun sharks will arrive soon and kick things up a notch.
Brink I've sort of flipped over from enjoying the slow build into finding this run too long and tbh am losing a bit of patience. I'm sure this will be excellent on a re-read.
Jaegir Although a little disappointed the battle happened off-screen, this is excellent, my top thrill this week. The story is running incredibly fast. Another special note for the art here which is glorious.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

A smoking hot cover with some great logo layouts with a good prog underneath (with one exception you do not get bonus points for guessing which one). 

Dredd – A very good episode of Dredd as Rob stirs up the intrigue with a nice blend of politics. This feels like it should be 10 parts but let's see how it raps up in 2 more episodes.

Skip – Half-way to the finish line. It reads much better without the speech bubbles.

Sin/Dex – Well everything got turned up-side down as the story change direction. Dexter's trick has now backfired. Good episode interesting how this part will end.

Brink – Well this one is little bit difficult to read without the speech bubbles. The plot is moving forward and hopefully the truth will be revealed or maybe Dan has some sneaky way to pull us off track.

Jaegir – Just awesome, great art great story. My top thrill in the prog.

Woolly

Quote from: broodblik on 27 July, 2022, 04:06:30 AM
Cover by Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague

Aside from Wagner and Grant, this has to be the greatest pairing of droids in the Prog's history.
Everything they do is phenomenal!

Southstreeter

The time shifting in Dredd is annoying. Coming to the prog fresh each week, how am I meant to know exactly how '20 days after hack' relates to the 'present' or indeed other scenes we saw last week. I shouldn't have to flick between progs to figure out what's going on when. The story is great otherwise, I just don't think we need this.

And can someone remind me who Domino is. I know we've seen her before. Is she a sov agent or something?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Southstreeter on 27 July, 2022, 08:31:37 PM
The time shifting in Dredd is annoying. Coming to the prog fresh each week, how am I meant to know exactly how '20 days after hack' relates to the 'present' or indeed other scenes we saw last week. I shouldn't have to flick between progs to figure out what's going on when. The story is great otherwise, I just don't think we need this.

And can someone remind me who Domino is. I know we've seen her before. Is she a sov agent or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifecta_(Judge_Dredd_story)

QuoteSpurrier had created a Black Ops Division in his Dredd strips: a morally dubious outfit who were raised to worship the city as the "God-City" and carry out their work unthinkingly. Dredd had run afoul of their operative Domino Blank-One.

References - 2000 AD prog 1482 and Judge Dredd Megazine #245
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

IndigoPrime

I could copy and paste Mr Boots's comment, since I feel largely the same. Dredd, Jaegir and Dexter (surprisingly) the highlights for me, Brink is stretching my patience to the brink (but I'm certainly will read very nicely when binged), and Skip Tracer bringing up the rear and feeling a bit empty. (Given that we're now on, what, series seven, folks must like it, though?)

Dredd > Dexter > Jaegir > Brink > Skip Tracer