Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Halo Jones vs. Shakara Rd 5 Heat 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 August, 2022, 06:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

I mean these two, at first glance at least, are at opposite ends of the thrill spectrum! They have more in common than you might think at first glance... but still it's a bit of a head scratcher to compare these two!

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Halo Jones: Timehouse; Numbercruncher; Mind of Wolfie Smith
Shakara: Stainless Steel Rat; Helium; Ichabod Azrael

Halo Jones - more info

VS

Shakara - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 6th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

davidbishop

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yep, Halo wins this for me despite Shakara being a modern classic.

SBT

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Oh wow - what I said on the other vote this morning... VERY interesting start, but early voting can be deceptive so I'll not get too excited yet...

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Aaron A Aardvark

Timothy

IndigoPrime

Well, we all know Halo Jones is going to win this. And it is a really strong strip, which did some important things for 2000 AD. Most notably, it gave the Prog a rare female lead, and provided a strip largely devoid of machismo. Even when it dipped into war, it did so in a manner that had the blackest of black humour – like the moon war in Dredd but taken to a dark and horrifying extreme. I'm fine with how it ended (well, IMO), and never thought it needed another six or so books.

Shakara gave the Prog a kick up the arse in a different way. Visually, it's stunning and striking. Wiping out humans from the off was entertaining and different. But also, what initially looked like a one-note Nemesis knock-off quickly evolved into something that could sit alongside the best of that strip – and in terms of consistency bettered it in all sorts of ways. Honestly, it probably nudges ahead in terms of the book I'd rescue from certain doom if one was destined to be shot by an arrow or something.

So: Shakara, by a nose. Heck, a sliver of a nose.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith