Main Menu

The Killing v Portrait of a Mutant - Bolt-01 Cup - SEMI-FINAL 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 October, 2021, 06:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

My reasoning is sort of the opposite - if you had to remove one story from existence, which would it be? The Stront universe could remain entirely unaffected by removing "The Killing", but without Portrait, you dont have the New Britain background for Johnny's character - no Kreelman, no McNulty, no Torso from Newcastle.  You lose the motivating drive behind Alpha's quest to right wrongs.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 15 October, 2021, 06:41:04 AM
I was on the train heading home from work today and found myself thinking about Strontium Dog, then this comp and my vote for Portrait (how weird is that...but what else is there to think about when starting blankly out a window to avoid making eye contact with the stranger facing you from two feet away). Anywho, I've decided if I could only read one of these stories ever again it would be the Killing. Not sure I can change my vote,  but there you have it.

Magnetica

Huey2

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well my ability to predict these tourneys has always been shakey and in my head I had a nailed on final for this one. There were a couple of outliers that I though might nudge in but in reality I struggled to see a final other than Rage and Portrait, two cornerstones of Johnny's story. I love Portrait its not only a great Johnny Alpha story, sort of Johnny mets a Battle story, its also an astonishingly powerful origin story and frankly just a suerb story. It introduces so much to the world.

At the end of the day though

The Killing

Is pure, high octane fun. Its raw entertainment and I think (see above what do I know!) that's what has earnt it, its place in the final, surprise place... well to me...

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

Funt Solo

But The Killing doesn't even have any *thwup* guns, fer chrissakes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Bissler

This one was a bit like "which limb would you prefer to lose?" I had missed this vote but, for what it's worth, while Portrait is an incredible origins story, The Killing would have edged it for me by the tiniest of margins.

AlexF

BIG surprise! But following the Tourney from the start you could always see a lot of love for the Killing, and it is surely the best of the 'purely fun' Stront stories. And in that vein, it's made for a worthier final, having a comdey battling it out with a revenge-tragedy.