Main Menu

PROG 1319

Started by Tiplodocus, 26 November, 2002, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Two progs into my subscription and I'm still not getting Thrillpower above average.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

DREDD: Great little tale - well done Mr Rennie. I'm glad  you never felt the need to bolt-on some pyrotechnic action to the story.  Gibson art seemed a bit sparse.

RED SEAS:  Enjoying this adventure - nice bit of action and about time DANCER did something vaguely heroic. I'm glad to say that I don't know where this is going.

ASYLUM:  Good running gag with the Reverend's mutilation livens up an otherwise dull fight sequence.  This climactic fight seems to have been going on for ages.  

FUTURE SHOCK:  One twist (the sister) was predictable, the second twist (the pads are bombs) needed rereading to get and then I thought "So what?"  The President was a pratt who trusted the Captain so why didn't the Captain just abandon ship and leave him to crash into a sun or something?  Didn't like the half comic tone and didn't like the obligatory ending where everything blows up.  And where was the subtext?  The character identification?  Liked the art though!

SINISTER/DEXTER:  Mr Abnett really is taking the piss now.  Last week we had characters saying "Oh no, I keep saying crap puns".  This week we have characters saying "Space Pirates, they are crap aren't they".  Are we meant to be amazed by the clever post modern mocking of the genre? It's been done to death.  

I have no objections to Mr Abnett writing good adventure stories but SIN/DEX stating that the readers will accept any old crap and his slagging off of Comic Fans in this month's meg make me despair.  Use your comedy to kick up at targets above you not below you on the pecking order. And never make the assumption that putting blokes in a dress is intrinsically funny.

What's next? "Old people, they smell of piss!", "Train Spotters, they are sad aren't they?" "Ginger haired people aren't very nice to look at are they?"  SIN/DEX have to climb up a giant aliens bum?

(In my Humble Opinion, of course).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JimBob

"Ginger haired people aren't very nice to look at are they?"

right, outside now.

Jim

Say it loud "I'm ginge and proud!"

paulvonscott

Hi Mr Tips you racist scum.

I largely agree with you, I liked Red Seas, not too dissimilar to something you'd find in an old british comics, steaming arses notwithstanding.  needs more meat, but its pretty enjoyable.

Not convinced by the future shock, but the art was genuinely creative, loved the securtiy droids.

Dredd was pretty good in a sub-wagnerian way.

The rest - blah...

Lets all look at a future prog and think of betleguese.

Tiplodocus

I'll assume you actually realise that I was decrying such dreadful "isms" that some people pass off as humour.  Sorry if this wasn't clear.

JimBob, on an entirely different note; what is the weight of your truncheon (sorry, Manadnock PR 28 XTS baton or whatever you call it?)

Queen Firey-Bou

But Mr humble Tips,

Big hairy Blokes in frocks IS intrinsically funny, Why won't you boys believe me about this one? , and amazonian space pirate laydees are rather smelly & don't shave armpits. simple facts. And Ginger's do look crap when theyve got fangs & a ketchup thing going on.

Slippery PD

Yes but hasnt it been done before in the Rocky Horror Picture show????   i find SinDex possibly the worst strip of this year and definately unfunny.  The word purile springs to mind!!  They should have a very long rest.......  But please more Davis art.

Rest of the prog just feels like its treading water.  

I like red seas - can t beat a bit of swashing yer buckle

Gordon seems to have Dredd nailed down to T, in a non action story that was just about right.

The Future Shock, didnt work for me.
Asylum, was OK.  The are is good, but it seems to have something missing.....

Yer Slippo

JimBob

Yeah i was joking.
The truncheon we use here is called the Asp it's really quite light and extends to about 12". The British Transport Police use the yank side handle battons and they're a lot heavier, Why?

Queen Firey-Bou

damn i seem to be in the minority regarding purile giggling. but yes davis's art ..fantastic.

Adrian Bamforth

I've always had a theory I call The Breslaw Effect - you just know a sitcom has run out of proper jokes when the familiar characters suddenly appear in an hilarious costume or the men dress as women for no good reason. Take my word for it, it happened in series 8 of Red Dwarf, series 7 of Friends, about 5 years ago on Only Fools and Horses (hilarious Batman & Robin episode) and again last Christmas, and who can forget episode 2 of "Allo Allo"?

ADE  

Tiplodocus

JIMBOB,

truncheon weight - I'm trying to guess the weight of Dredd's daystick - I think I'll go for about 3/4 of a kilo.

cheers
Mr Tips.

Ade,
your dress theory is spot on (and your "epiosde 2 of Allo Allo" made me laugh out loud).

JimBob

I imagine it'ld be really light, I've seen some riot equipment which looks fearsome but is light as a feather. incidently their designed now to have a shock effect on your system with specific nerve groupings targeted rather than as a bludgeon. If your hit in the right place you collapse almost straight away.

petemaskreplica

So it's what you do with it that counts :)

Dredd & Red Seas were great (Trout must be well chuffed with the appearance of an evil mutant fish)

Asylum & Future Shock had nice art, not so great plot

SinDex? I can't be bothered.

Trout

"Trout must be well chuffed with the appearance of an evil mutant fish"

Not only has my name been in the Meg, but now My Auntie Annie has had a bit-part in Red Seas!

IMO: Red Seas is good, Asylum is okay and the Future Shock wasn't too bad but below average. I though they'd stopped the Future Shocks?

Dredd was enjoyable, well-written stuff, but GORDON RENNIE! What were you thinking? A Dredd tale illustrated by the Great Gibson and you didn't think to put a sexy woman in it? You fool!

Finally, SinDex can only be described as an abomination in the eyes of God. Let's have blank paper instead, so we can draw our own comic strips.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

I think His Royal Highnessessessesssessess blank paper suggestion is the best I've seen in ages.

Is it just me or have the recent progs stopped inspiring such healthy debate as they used to? Or are the ones inthe shops later than usual and nobody has read it yet?

2000AD Online

still waiting for the grandmaster of termight popping up in asylum shouting be pure be vigilent beware...