Main Menu

You know you're an auld bugger when...

Started by auxlen, 05 November, 2015, 06:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

... you start to talk about the Cold War and have to stop for 5 minutes to explain what communism is.

... you quote Blackadder / Red Dwarf / Monty Python and they look at you clueless.

.. a minor conflict you served during is part of a GCSE history textbook.

TordelBack

... When you see a lone person on the street loudly extolling the virtues of labradoodles over cavachons into thin air as they stride purposefully along  your first reaction is to assume that they are a few stamps short of a free latte.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 November, 2015, 07:05:05 PM
... When you see a lone person on the street loudly extolling the virtues of labradoodles over cavachons into thin air as they stride purposefully along  your first reaction is to assume that they are a few stamps short of a free latte.

It's far from lattes we were raised, old chap.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Old Tankie

You have to get up 3 or 4 times a night to have a piss!

O Lucky Stevie!

...when you have to explain to a sci fi fan who either Chris Foss or Harrison were.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tjm86

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 10 November, 2015, 12:28:12 AM
...when you have to explain to a sci fi fan who either Chris Foss or Harrison were.

I would say that if they don't know the answer then they are not true fans!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 November, 2015, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 November, 2015, 05:41:35 PM
I had tickets to Nirvana, but didn't go because a) I didn't like them that much and was only really going to keep a mate company, and perhaps more importantly b) Kurt died the day the concert was meant to be on.
I worry that we are the same person. Though I think my Nirvana ticket was a couple of days after and I really wanted to as I like Nirvana but more importantly Sebadoh were supporting.
I had a ticket to see Nirvana at the QMU in Glasgow in 1991. It's wasn't a big venue and, between the tour being announced and it actually happening, Smells Like Teen Spirit had happened. Supply could no longer match demand.

That afternoon, a former schoolfriend unexpectedly came through to Glasgow with the notion of having a few pints. Long story short: by 6pm he'd left me sleeping in my bathroom in my halls of residence and gone back out for more pints with the guys I was supposed to be going to the gig with (they were just starting.) A couple of them were apparently lucky to get into the gig and not one of the clowns had the common sense to take my ticket and use it or even try and sell it!

And you know you're an auld bugger when... your analogies reference technology that nobody under the age of thirty has ever seen in real life.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

...when you discuss the soundtrack to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and they say 'what's Raiders of the Lost Ark?'

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 November, 2015, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 November, 2015, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 November, 2015, 05:41:35 PM
I had tickets to Nirvana, but didn't go because a) I didn't like them that much and was only really going to keep a mate company, and perhaps more importantly b) Kurt died the day the concert was meant to be on.
I worry that we are the same person. Though I think my Nirvana ticket was a couple of days after and I really wanted to as I like Nirvana but more importantly Sebadoh were supporting.
I had a ticket to see Nirvana at the QMU in Glasgow in 1991. It's wasn't a big venue and, between the tour being announced and it actually happening, Smells Like Teen Spirit had happened. Supply could no longer match demand.

That afternoon, a former schoolfriend unexpectedly came through to Glasgow with the notion of having a few pints. Long story short: by 6pm he'd left me sleeping in my bathroom in my halls of residence and gone back out for more pints with the guys I was supposed to be going to the gig with (they were just starting.) A couple of them were apparently lucky to get into the gig and not one of the clowns had the common sense to take my ticket and use it or even try and sell it!

And you know you're an auld bugger when... your analogies reference technology that nobody under the age of thirty has ever seen in real life.

I still have my unused Nirvana ticket  :(

I cant remember the last gig I was at. Not because of all the lovely, lovely drugs but because it was so long ago.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Prodigal2

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 November, 2015, 07:05:05 PM

Genuine LOL. Stealing that.

sheridan

Quote from: auxlen on 06 November, 2015, 05:10:34 PM
QuoteYou are still compelled to notice women in very short skirts but your first thought is "jayzus girls, you'll catch your death",

whenever i see heavily pierced/tattoed/unusual colour haired young ladies i always think . 'Lord, what did your daddy do to you?'

Not sure I understand this one.  I have plenty of friends with piercings, tattoos and dyed hair and I'm not aware of their 'daddies doing anything to them'?

The Legendary Shark

You switch on the computer with every intention of getting some writing done but spend an hour deciding on a new desktop wallpaper before ending up here blithering at people.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 November, 2015, 05:30:59 AM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 10 November, 2015, 12:28:12 AM

I would say that if they don't know the answer then they are not true fans!
Especially as both have 2000AD connections...

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 11 November, 2015, 02:11:21 PM
QuoteYou are still compelled to notice women in very short skirts but your first thought is "jayzus girls, you'll catch your death",

whenever i see heavily pierced/tattoed/unusual colour haired young ladies i always think . 'Lord, what did your daddy do to you?'

Not sure I understand this one.  I have plenty of friends with piercings, tattoos and dyed hair and I'm not aware of their 'daddies doing anything to them'?

I took it to be a reference to Lisbeth from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 11 November, 2015, 02:11:21 PM

You're never too old for piercings, dyed hair and tats... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6436327/Retired-bank-manager-sets-record-for-most-body-piercings.html
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"