Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Better, no. Funnier, maybe. Worth another round, at any rate...

Barkeep! Another mac-mac for my vampiric safety inspector friend!

*hic*

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Well, youtube has banned adblockers and  I had never realized how aggressively user unfriendly that shite heap of a website is. The enshitification of the internet continues apace.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

I thought I was getting away with it by responding to feedback, nah, no adblockers here chum.
Got down to my penultimate strike before I realised that wasn't working, indeed, without third party modifications its become a festering pile of hyper aggressive marketisation.
Miserable.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 31 October, 2023, 05:01:40 PMWell, youtube has banned adblockers and  I had never realized how aggressively user unfriendly that shite heap of a website is. The enshitification of the internet continues apace.

Ah - I wonder if that's a region-specific rollout. My adblocker is still functioning here on my US-PC. (And I need it - Youtube has way too many ads, and we use Youtube content in the classroom, as well.)

My ipad at home tends to fail miserably at ad-blocking YouTube - it fritzes out with a never-ending wheel-spin o' doom, but eventually shows a Skip Ads button (which has to be pressed twice).

If they roll out weaponry against ad-blocking, I can see myself downloading the videos and building up an ad-free library (for classroom work).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

YouTube tends to delete a lot of the videos I want to watch, which I find both inconvenient and disgraceful. 

Okay, that sounds bad, like Prince Andrew Bad, but it's not like that. Honest.

Once the money moves in, the choice moves out. They want us to pay for our own censorship. What a twisted world of kaleidoscopic fairground mirrors the internet has become at the tentacletips of Big Business.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

YouTube used to have this fantastic "bubble search" function years ago, but I cannot find anyone who remembers it. Starting to think I imagined it.

Oh and someone told me that uBlock still works on YouTube, but don't take my word for it

Definitely Not Mister Pops

So today was my first day on the office since youtube changed its policies, and it was through the cyclopean monitor of my workplace machine I glimpsed the  mundane dystopiary of latestage capitalism. But...

My personal computer set up can still keep the mange ridden inbred degenerate runt of capitalist marketing at bay.

...feckin "e" key still doesn't work though...

You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Hawkmumbler

Interior decorating is hard! Promised myself wouldn't default to IKEA for the essentials, ended up doing so because 1) I'm a lazy bum and 2) As nice as it is to bum about vintage and antique emporiums for the thing that's grabs you fuck me is it expensive.

Also, what inspired colour scheme did I end up settling on?

Black! BLACK!

JohnW

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 November, 2023, 09:28:10 AMInterior decorating is hard!
My own furniture is flatpack interspersed with oddments that my grandparents probably bought in the fifties.
The flatpack illustrates not so much the principle of 'Buy cheap, buy twice', as 'Buy cheap, handle gently, and pray it holds together until some purely notional ship comes in'.
But black? No, sir. Black is too classay for this boy's tastes. Wood-effect formica all the way, baby.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Angry Vince

Have been using a VPN on my home computer, recently this has caused Google to think I'm a bot.
So then every time I search for something, I'd have to tick the 'not a robot' box* and then go through the 3x3 click on a bus/stairs/car/motorbike** nonsense repeatedly until it lets me through.
One time I counted thirty attempts at clicking on the stupid pictures and it still wouldn't let me through.
I fixed it by typing in 'bing.com' whenever it happened and using Bing*** instead.
After about a week, Google stopped asking for recaptchas.

*While hiding my avatar
**The drokking recapta pictures always give me existential nervousness - is the motorbike rider part of the motorbike? Is the shadow part of the bus? Only god and Google know and neither one is fracking telling.
***Bing is, for all intents and purposes, a complete dive bar toilet bowl of a search engine. Most times, I'd be better off asking my mum.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 November, 2023, 09:28:10 AMInterior decorating is hard! Promised myself wouldn't default to IKEA for the essentials, ended up doing so because 1) I'm a lazy bum and 2) As nice as it is to bum about vintage and antique emporiums for the thing that's grabs you fuck me is it expensive.

Also, what inspired colour scheme did I end up settling on?

Black! BLACK!

90% of the contents of my home came from charity shops. Furniture, clothes, utensils, crockery and many, many ornaments. Everything else I built myself (though my 80-year-old dad helped hugely, fair play to him.)

Having said that, my home is a one-room wooden cabin, apart from the bathroom and the mezzanine platform bit I sleep in. My friend built it for me and I did the interior, copying from 'cabin ambience' videos on YouTube. It's small but a lot bigger than the boat I lived in, and I fecking love it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Today, four days late, I got my pay packet for the last calendar month. There was £300 in it. I was overjoyed, a £50 pay rise, at last, after all those months of asking. I thanked my boss and told her how big a difference this would make.

But she'd miscounted. Thanked me for my honesty.

And asked for the money back.

This freedom lark can be a right pain in the plumbs (pun intended), sometimes.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]