Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 July, 2010, 06:07:21 PM
I had real problems with mice for a couple of years.

However, for the last four or so years I've used rockwool to guard against mice, with 100% results. You get it in B&Q alongside the sandpaper. It's horrible stuff - like thousands of wire filaments. This digs into mice and cuts their gums, so they eff off. Wear thick gardening gloves when you use it - and tear it into strips, then pack it in the holes.

You need to block all holes - if a mouse is used to coming to one place and finds its way blocked then it will look for other access points. As I was told: "if you found your kitchen door was blocked, you wouldn't look for another kitchen would you?"

Bear in mind, though, that you need to kill every mouse already inside. There's a stat somewhere that says for every mouse you see, there are around five others.

Thanks for the advice about Rockwool as it makes perfect sense and i have plenty of experience with Rockwool.

Of course this problem causes a chain reaction with more annoyances.One being the pipe clip close to the floor is broken causing the water pipe to make a clunking sound when its turned on and of course this is going to be a pain in the arse to fix.How did it break anyway ??

And of course now just as soon as i open my mouth and say i wont replace the machine because there is nothing wrong with it now after doing another wash last night the fucking door will not open for no apparent reason so my clothes are once again stuck inside the machine.This could be a problem and whichever way its going to cost money.

The universe is perverse sometimes because if you say something or talk about something it happens because its like tempting fate but this always happens with negative things and hardly ever with positive things.

I might try reversing this idea and start saying out loud positive things and how they will never happen to see if it tricks the universal cosmic forces into making them happen.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

I've been convinced I was getting tinnitus as I was hearing an annoying high pitched tone (long squeaking) in my left ear. The I got to think, it started only a few days ago and I got a new computer at the weekend, plus the squeak is only when I'm sitting next to the computer (it is on my lefthand side). So I narrowed it down - it squeaks when it is made to work hard (like playing Quake - one of the tests I've been using) and weirdly when I scroll down a page by grabbing the scroll bar (but not when using the mouse wheel).

Some searching found this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/254618-10-making-squealing-noise-mouse-scrolling-help

Fiddling around with some suggestions didn't help (smooth scrolling is difficult to switch off in Vista) but I managed to find a way to turn off the internal speaker and bingo!!

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000725.htm

Wasted hours on it though and spent days being annoyed and wondering if my hearing was going (can't blame it as I've done some terrible things to it but still...).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Roger Godpleton

My brother's computer was right there and I didn't hijack his facebook.  ::)
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

nev

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 01 August, 2010, 08:33:04 PM
My brother's computer was right there and I didn't hijack his facebook.  ::)
You missed the chance for hilarious status based hijinks. You're losing your touch.

Peter Wolf

My stupid neighbours decided it was alright to play really loud classical music at 3.00 in the morning so i had to put a stop to it.When i knocked really loud on the door some foreign idiot wouldnt open the door and she was yabbering away in some foreign language so i had to raise my voice and tell her to turn it down and after 3 more attempts at this and with more knocking on the door she finally got the message.

>:(

COMMANDO FORCES

Rog69

An elderly friend of my mothers had ordered a new bed and I went over to take her old one apart and get it down stairs so it could be collected.

After I had it all in bits I noticed what I thought was a small sea shell lying on the floor where the bed had been, I bent over and picked it up only to realise that it wasn't a sea shell at all, it was a whole big toe nail complete with bit's of fleshy matter stuck to it  :sick:

Dunk!

I preordered a slew of GNs from Amazon, paced out for delivery over June-Sept, which have now, due to delays and wrong issue dates being given, decided to turn up all at once.

My bank account is funned for the month and my teetering backlog of books grows.
"Trust we"

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm going back to work tomorrow after a week and a day off.

ANd I didn't do anything I planned to.
Lock up your spoons!

Peter Wolf

Tonight the neighbours have gone out and a digital alarm clock was going off at full volume.Their windows were open upstairs and luckily i had a ladder available and so i was able to climb into their upstairs bedroom and turn it off which has done wonders for my stress levels.

:D

I, Cosh

My queries are running very slowly due to poorly thought out indexing. However, I'm now up to 52 consecutive wins on Freecell.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

I went for a long walk wearing new shoes that had yet to be broken in. I had a blister with blood in it by the time I got back.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

nev

I drank too much coffee and anticipate I shall be awake for quite some time.

The Legendary Shark

I think I'm starting to get arthritis in the elbow I broke when I was a kid.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]