Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Because I've been running round all day trying to get my christmas cards printed and been defeated at every single turn.

After the stuff I ordered online turned out to be unsuitable (too thick), I finally got the correct type of paper I needed (after traipsing round various shops etc) then I finally get to the library to begin photocopying them, only for a member of staff (who absolutely reeked of skunk-weed btw) told me I wasn't allowed to run my own paper through the machine as it couldn't take anything heavier than 80gsm - this is despite me having done the exact same thing multiple times before, and the photocopier explicitly having a setting for 100gsm+ heavyweight paper. But there was no arguing with him. So now I'm stuck with loads and loads of useless card and a design that took me ages to think up and draw that will no longer work as it relied on being photocopied.

So, so frustrating when something that's supposed to be fun ends up becoming a (expensive) time-consuming nightmare.

shaolin_monkey

Could you not find a print shop nearby and ask them to do it using your materials at a wee discount?

radiator

Yeah looks like my only option now, but I've had terrible experiences with those places in the past - the last time I went to one ended with the employee chasing me down the street shouting abuse at me (I stormed out as he was being incredibly patronising, unhelpful and rude).

Tiplodocus

Accidentally ended up reading some old posts from over 10 years ago.

I'm sure that at the time, you lot all knew I was posting like a prick but I've only just realised now. Hopefully I don't post like that any more. Apologies to all involved.

Cripes, I hope in ten years time I don't look at my current posts and feel the same (the thought that I've become nicer, notwithstanding).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin Zeal

shaolin_monkey

I got up at my usual time to be in work for 8am. I forgot I wasn't supposed to start today until 9am. I did myself out of an extra hour in bed. AAAARGH!!!

Trout

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 December, 2013, 05:30:55 PM

I'm sure that at the time, you lot all knew I was posting like a prick but I've only just realised now. Hopefully I don't post like that any more. Apologies to all involved.

Cripes, I hope in ten years time I don't look at my current posts and feel the same (the thought that I've become nicer, notwithstanding).

All hail me.  :-X

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: radiator on 03 December, 2013, 05:40:36 PM
Because I've been running round all day trying to get my christmas cards printed and been defeated at every single turn.

After the stuff I ordered online turned out to be unsuitable (too thick), I finally got the correct type of paper I needed (after traipsing round various shops etc) then I finally get to the library to begin photocopying them, only for a member of staff (who absolutely reeked of skunk-weed btw) told me I wasn't allowed to run my own paper through the machine as it couldn't take anything heavier than 80gsm - this is despite me having done the exact same thing multiple times before, and the photocopier explicitly having a setting for 100gsm+ heavyweight paper. But there was no arguing with him. So now I'm stuck with loads and loads of useless card and a design that took me ages to think up and draw that will no longer work as it relied on being photocopied.

So, so frustrating when something that's supposed to be fun ends up becoming a (expensive) time-consuming nightmare.

Ah well as my previous complaints here have shown... Liberians and common sense are mutually incompatible.

Although I would never dare to use my own paper in their copiers.... Obvious that it wouldn't be allowed.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 December, 2013, 05:30:55 PM

Examples man examples!!  :o
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 07 December, 2013, 03:42:51 PMLiberians and common sense are mutually incompatible.

Stop with your xenophobic rants!   ;)

Accepting that was a typo, I can only deduce that you've been reading Colin's shelving thread, and agree.

More seriously, a concern over the weight of paper in a printer is hardly unreasonable. I feel Radiator's frustration keenly, but I'd probably err on the side of caution myself, having spent one too many evenings up to the elbows Herriot-fashion in the guts of an office printer.  Trying to re-align rollers by touch might be Lobster Random's idea of fun, but it ain't mine.

GrinningChimera

It's 26 degrees today. So I have to decide between spending the day in my underpants, or having the doors open. And no, you can't have both. Tried it once. I went past the front door and there were some kids selling chocolate for a school fundraiser.

Not a good thing for anyone involved.

Rog69

Despite us having a kid free weekend next week, my wife has inexplicably decided to start the pre-Christmas toy cull this weekend with them still in the house.

I'm staying up here in my man cave, it's like world war 3 down there.

Hawkmumbler

Going in for my 'interview' as part of the process so I can claim jonseekers while I volunteer and look for a proper job. Not looking forward to having to sit amongst the Kylelites but it must be done. ::)

TordelBack

Here's a First World problem if ever there was one: every year on this specific day my wife's entire family gets on the phone in sequence and demands to know what the kids want for Christmas, which is of course very nice of them. 

Every year I outline their interests, and the kinds of things they might appreciate in that area (e.g. my son really loves sea swimming, but hasn't really got any gear; my daughter loves Lego, especially the stuff with animals etc. etc.).  This is never enough.  Ten minutes later they'll be back on the phone, wanting to know something specific, and where to get it.  Fine, I wrack my brains, flick through the Argos catalogue, come up with something specific for everyone from everyone. An hour later they've found the item, and they either don't like it and/or it's too expensive, can I tell them something else?  I suggest something generic instead, a set of markers, an annual or a jigsaw maybe?  No, no they still want to know something specific and they have to know now, because this is the only day they'll be shopping. 

The usual resolution is that I agree to buy something myself to an agreed budget and drop it over to them, which I suspect was the plan all along.

What I actually want to do is say: "maybe if you spent any time at all with the kids you'd be able to work some of this crap out for yourselves". 

It's not a bloody Wedding Gift list.  As if the kids care what they get anyway - they're little kids, they just like getting presents.  I've seen them wrapped up for hours on end with a roll of wallpaper and a box of crayons: which precise fecking version of Tinkerbell to get for under 15 euro just doesn't come into it.  What they'd really like is for you to get them a game or toy and play with it with them.

I know, I know, I should be grateful that they care.  I just have problems equating shopping with caring.

Rog69

We have similar problems with our families so the past couple of years we did out kids an Amazon wishlist each and we just direct people there if they can't sort it out for themselves.

It can cause issues with the eldsters but it stops most of the family badgering us for ideas and means that we can prevent my Mother In Law buying the hugest thing in the shop and us struggling to find space for it.