Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Yep and after all of the above, things started to get bad! Never no mind Sharky, just damn the lot to hell and walk on. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2014, 10:15:12 AM
I can feel the Black Dog sniffing at my crotch and getting ready to jump up at me. I'm trying to bring the God damned thing to heel but it's bloody persistent and I'm bloody tired.
Bloody minor impediments everywhere I look. Still - chin up, eh?

Must be something about the time of year. I've also been aware of the Black Dog hovering on the periphery this last week or so. Things which have been ongoing for donkey's years but haven't bothered me one bit are suddenly seeming like good reasons for deep, black despair.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Courage, lads.  Kick that mangy mutt in the goolies, then give him one or two extra for me. 

I can't quite decide if I've been lucky or not in this respect this year.  I've had way fewer depressive episodes than usual, and shorter, but the major one I did have, back in late July/August, was probably the most intense and scary I've had in some years.  I don't envy anyone that sensation of inexorably rising darkness, but as always you must tell yourselves that the things it tells you aren't true, and it will pass.  It's all just bollocks, and you'll know that when you're through the other side.  I know all too well that doesn't make it one jot easier to endure, but it's the plain truth.

Like Jim says, keep swimming.

The Legendary Shark

Aye, you're right. This tide has ebbed and flowed before and now it's sink or swim time again, that's all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

The installation of a new woodburner prompts anticipation of warm, cosy nights in front of a wood fire. Instead, the installers ding a gas pipe, shut off the gas and tell us they've called a plumber to fix it before fucking off for the day. The plumber never turns up, leaving us without heating or hot water overnight. Oh, the irony.

(Edit: Or, indeed, this morning. At least the shower's electric. Fasting blood tests, too, so nothing but water for breakfast for me. Bah.)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

Is playing "All You Need Is Love" at brain-meltingly high volume to your landlords who are having a massive domestic unnecessarily antagonistic?

We shall find out.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Not at all. When other people's noise intrudes into your personal space, the only reasonable response is to remind said people that you can also be intrusively loud.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

The stink from the downstairs flat has now started setting off the smoke alarms in the hall at random times, but on the bright side, I know the smoke detectors in the halls work - which is not to be underestimated as a plus when you live above drunkies who set fire to things at all hours.

BTW - if I stop posting here for more than a month, assume I have died in a fire.

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 November, 2014, 07:45:58 AM
Why...are they setting fire to items INSIDE?!

In his drinking days my brother used to stagger in in the wee hours, stick a pan of baked beans on the gas and promptly pass out at the kitchen table, so that the fire alarm became a dear friend.

shaolin_monkey

My long weekend of moving house and unpacking at the other end was hampered by passing a kidney stone.

So - who wants to know what a chunk of gravel inching down your urethra feels like? :D

Dandontdare

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 November, 2014, 11:16:04 AM
My long weekend of moving house and unpacking at the other end was hampered by passing a kidney stone.

So - who wants to know what a chunk of gravel inching down your urethra feels like? :D

Ouch - this happened to my flatmate at uni - we heard a blood curdling scream and found him passed out with the pain in the bathroom, so I don't envy you SM

I had a huge molar removed yesterday and the bugger did NOT want to come. Although I was anaesthetised, the tugging and wrenching was horrible and now I've got an aching jaw and a(nother) weird soggy gap in my mouth.

Professor Bear

Passing a kidney stone is (no pun intended) a piece of piss - it's their side-effects that are freaky, like pissing blood for days, or feeling like a small corner of your abdomen is having a baby.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2014, 07:51:23 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 November, 2014, 07:45:58 AM
Why...are they setting fire to items INSIDE?!

In his drinking days my brother used to stagger in in the wee hours, stick a pan of baked beans on the gas and promptly pass out at the kitchen table, so that the fire alarm became a dear friend.

I used to live with someone who would do that, and one day came down to a fire-gutted kitchen that no-one in the house knew anything about until they'd got up that morning.  Good times.
This is more or less what is happening downstairs, I think, though their frying pan seems to be another co-conspirator, as does their fireplace, which manages to blow soot and smoke into my living room despite my having the chimney blocked years ago and an electric fire installed.  My one consolation is that when they eventually do kill me, I probably won't know anything about it.