Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 January, 2016, 11:15:26 AM
Why on Earth would you change your bank account rather than just cancelling the direct debit and/or getting your bank to treat it as a fraudulent transaction?
^^ This.
Seems like an awful lot of arsing about for a minor problem.
(Although my advice on this may be suspect as I flatly refuse to have a bank account...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

richerthanyou

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 January, 2016, 11:15:26 AM
Why on Earth would you change your bank account rather than just cancelling the direct debit and/or getting your bank to treat it as a fraudulent transaction?

I gave the bank a chance to fix it and there response was lets wait and see what happens. Costing me $50. Which I highly doubt I will be getting the full amount back. There is bound to be a fee for the fraud checking thing.

The bank told me it would all go away by now. It didn't. The bank lied to me. I think that is my irrational train of thought and now I have bank trust issues.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

The Legendary Shark

All banks lie. If you really need a bank, better the devil you know.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Commonplace with gyms but also ISPs and probably many others.
You cancel the DD ASAP and if they denied this earlier, you may be refunded. Refunds happen despite your demonisation of banks.

Also "richerthanyou" ?-)

JamesC

Fungus

Clearly, I just found it nicely apt given the impediment...

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

von Boom

I was given a late gift of Game of Thrones series 1 blu ray. Turns out my player is too old and won't play the discs. Bugger.

Something Fishy

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 January, 2016, 06:28:59 PM
All banks lie. If you really need a bank, better the devil you know.

True that, though I did change this year to a U.K. Based building society after getting really fed up with the way hsbc go about things.

Spikes

Might be worth going back and re-reading the small print, richerthanyou - the one time I signed up to a gym, it was stated that it took three months notice to cancel.
By that I mean, if It was a yearly contract, started on Jan 1st, you had to give them notice around October time for it to cancel in time. A friend of mind didn't - he assumed it ran out after the year, and that would be that. Rude awakening when he continued to have the money debited out of his account. 

The Legendary Shark

It's not a contract unless it's signed by both parties, otherwise it's just an agreement. Agreements have less force than contracts and can be cancelled at any time. Most "contracts" these days are no such thing - they're simply agreements signed by one party.
Even if they were contracts, contracts contain two basic but essential requirements: they must be voluntary and contain reasonable expectations.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Batman's Superior Cousin

Some money was wedged into the front passenger, and I managed to reclaim all, but 50p, which dropped further into the seat. :(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

On Sunday I lay bruised on an icy back-road watching my Yamaha Majesty slide majestically away on its side with me no longer on it.   I had owned it for approximately 5 hours. 

(P.S.  Batman's Superior Cousin; I hope the front passenger gave you consent before you started unwedging that money.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 January, 2016, 12:09:00 AM
On Sunday I lay bruised on an icy back-road watching my Yamaha Majesty slide majestically away on its side with me no longer on it.   I had owned it for approximately 5 hours. 

(P.S.  Batman's Superior Cousin; I hope the front passenger gave you consent before you started unwedging that money.)

Hope you're feeling better! I was about to say it's good you only suffered bruises (although a check up in case of cracked bones couldn't hurt. My arm/hand is still a bit dodgy from a fall a year back. I never went to the doctor as I was sure it was just bruised) but bad bruises can be pretty nasty all by themselves.

Yeah, and a different pain concerning that new bike. Ouch.

richerthanyou

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 January, 2016, 02:01:01 AM
Hope you're feeling better! I was about to say it's good you only suffered bruises (although a check up in case of cracked bones couldn't hurt. My arm/hand is still a bit dodgy from a fall a year back. I never went to the doctor as I was sure it was just bruised) but bad bruises can be pretty nasty all by themselves.

Yeah, and a different pain concerning that new scooter. Ouch.

FTFY
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)