Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Stuck at unscheduled Saturday work JUST long enough to miss the third family outing to Force Awakens. Bit longer and I'd have been able to charge enough to make it worthwhile, bit shorter and I'd have made it to the film. Bah and double bah.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Tordelback on 16 January, 2016, 03:19:32 PM
Stuck at unscheduled Saturday work JUST long enough to miss the third family outing to Force Awakens. Bit longer and I'd have been able to charge enough to make it worthwhile, bit shorter and I'd have made it to the film. Bah and double bah.

There is always the DVD and you missed screaming kids,moaning unhappy teens and exasperated adults who had to shell out a small fortune for this must see family experience.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Something Fishy

I really want to see that again.

I am signed off at the moment which does afford some time to do it but I'm signed off for my eyes meaning I can't easily travel to see it and can't see it well anyway (I've only seen it with one eye thus far).

I shall have to await the Blue Ray I think.

richerthanyou

The C.E.O of our parent company came around for a visit the other day. And he was reading something that I had written (not knowing it was me who did it) earlier in the month. And then he came out with "perhaps someone should have proof read this first"

How did 500+ people not notice this and tell me sooner?? Out of everything he could have looked at, he reads the one thing I did with a single spelling mistake and notices it!

So much for a bonus then
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

TordelBack

Fault of whoever should have proofread it, not you - no-one can effectively proof their own work.

Spikes

Planning a trip soon-ish to that there London.

Now with the dates that we can make, it'll mean either; Missing the Cosmonauts exhibition (Science Museum), but catching Bagpuss and the Clangers (V&A), or catching the Cosmonauts, but missing Bagpuss.....

The Legendary Shark

Heh, such are the problems in the overdeveloped world!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Quote from: richerthanyou on 16 January, 2016, 11:50:32 PM
The C.E.O of our parent company came around for a visit the other day. And he was reading something that I had written (not knowing it was me who did it) earlier in the month. And then he came out with "perhaps someone should have proof read this first"

How did 500+ people not notice this and tell me sooner?? Out of everything he could have looked at, he reads the one thing I did with a single spelling mistake and notices it!

So much for a bonus then

Did he need to say it like that though?  Does not come across well there at all.

TordelBack

Quote from: Something Fishy on 17 January, 2016, 01:34:16 PM
Did he need to say it like that though?  Does not come across well there at all.

Some management types just need to be seen saying something negative in public to demonstrate their innate superiority over their minions, little realising that what it actually illustrates are poor quality control systems that they themselves are responsible for.  We've all worked with them. Some of us even are them.

As an aside, one of my most bittersweet memories is presenting my father with my just-submitted  postgrad thesis, which had taken me three endless years of expense, sweat and latterly torment, all nicely bound in two black leather volumes with gold lettering and all that balls.  He opened it at a random page, scanned a single paragraph and said: "well you'll need to change this: there's a typo right there".

Spikes

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2016, 11:36:36 AM
Heh, such are the problems in the overdeveloped world!

I know!
Someone ought to tell all those trying to get into Western Europe that it's not all fun and games here..  ;)

Hawkmumbler

Was away with dive friends last night, came home to find no one had closed the guinea pigs hutch (they have free roam of the garden). Found one of the poor sods frozen solid down the side of the green house. Cried quite a bit about it TBH, they wheren't even mine really but I fed them and looked after them for 5 years. I feel like I should have locked them up before going out.  :'(

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 17 January, 2016, 06:19:26 PM
Ah man, that's crappy.
Well, yeah.

Having since inspected the corpse, he was decapitated. Chances are a cat caught him down their early hours and acted instinctivly, as none of him was consumed. As it was, it was probably very quick. Small mercy, I guess. Poor bugger.

Theblazeuk

richerthanyou

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)