Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I would prefer to see some more from the back catelogue Rebellion owns appearing, rather than recent 2000AD stuff. For example more stuff from Tornado, like maybe the Mind of Wolfie Smith.

I do appreciate that might taken time e.g. to track down decent source material and it can't be stuff that they would rather put in a GN or stuff that is expensive to clean up.

Richard

NOT The Mind of Wolfie Smith please.

But otherwise, yes -- although there is nothing wrong with them doing a mix of stuff from 2000AD and stuff from other comics. Not every Megazine was reading the prog over five years ago.

WhizzBang

I'm firmly in the opposite camp. I think I am unlikely to be interested in anything non-2000ad that isn't written by Pat Mills or John Wagner. I haven't read any of the floppy material before.

Richard

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 October, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 14 October, 2017, 04:09:02 PMprobably because a new series of it will be starting soon and people may need a refresher?
There is? Must have fallen out of my brain. Well, in that case: good.

Pretty sure I'd have remembered that if I'd seen an announcement somewhere -  good news - let's hope this bodes well for Edgingtonverse tales continuing after being in limbo for  years...

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 14 October, 2017, 04:41:11 PM

But otherwise, yes -- although there is nothing wrong with them doing a mix of stuff from 2000AD and stuff from other comics. Not every Megazine was reading the prog over five years ago.

What's wrong with the Mind of Wolfie Smith? I have only read the 2000AD stuff, so would be curious to see what it was like in Tornado.

But if Blackhawk is anything to go by, then it's probably no great shakes. But having said that I would still be interested to see it, if only from a comics history point of view.

Richard

Wolfie Smith was boring. It made Tharg's list of the 16 worst strips to appear in 2000AD.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 October, 2017, 07:35:02 PM
Quote from: Richard on 14 October, 2017, 04:41:11 PM

What's wrong with the Mind of Wolfie Smith? I have only read the 2000AD stuff, so would be curious to see what it was like in Tornado

Yep I'm up for that. Yes its far from perfect but I get on with it well enough, especially the last story.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 14 October, 2017, 08:34:11 PM
Wolfie Smith was boring. It made Tharg's list of the 16 worst strips to appear in 2000AD.

Was that during the nineties, in the midst of the insult-everything-that-went-before phase while not offering much decent material to replace it (including the infamous - "comics are just disposable entertainment, don't look for any deeper meaning or subtext, if you're mature enough to want anything more, then stop reading now" reply to a reader's letter)?

davidbishop

Quote from: sheridan on 15 October, 2017, 03:06:08 PM
Quote from: Richard on 14 October, 2017, 08:34:11 PM

Was that during the nineties, in the midst of the insult-everything-that-went-before phase while not offering much decent material to replace it (including the infamous - "comics are just disposable entertainment, don't look for any deeper meaning or subtext, if you're mature enough to want anything more, then stop reading now" reply to a reader's letter)?

Blimey! What prog was that in?

JayzusB.Christ

Are you sure? Sounds more like the brief manifesto of the Grark Millarson team during the Big Dave / Babe Race 2000 era.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgerufian

Well i enjoyed Wagners Walk in this months megazine so more of the same please!

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 October, 2017, 07:46:09 PM
Are you sure? Sounds more like the brief manifesto of the Grark Millarson team during the Big Dave / Babe Race 2000 era.

I completely missed that there had been replies to my mini-rant - it would have been around that time, yes.  I can't remember the exact wording of the reply, but I was left wondering if this was the same comic that had played host to Halo Jones, et al, and whether I, as an adult who looks for more complex themes than you find in adolescent superhero fantasy, should be reading the progs any more.

Professor Bear

I wouldn't take the sentiment as a personal insult so much as a rebuttle to BIFF POW COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS.  Morrison seems like he's always been aware of what comics are capable of, and whatever you think of Millar, he's never made any bones about hating the trend in comics for pursuing "legitimacy."

Quote from: judgerufian on 02 January, 2018, 08:41:33 PM

I'm certainly up for more non-2000ad/Meg floppy material, as this is a good opportunity to get some of it back out there - and possibly even serve as a primer to relaunch some stories, given how limited the options for such things are these days.  If nothing else, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Jinty stuff, which often covered sci-fi territory.

gurnard

Quote from: judgerufian on 02 January, 2018, 08:41:33 PM

Yeah I really enjoyed this too but it just stopped didn't it. The story did not finish. Was it ever finished or was it cut when merging with 2thou?