Main Menu

2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018

Started by Tomwe, 19 June, 2018, 09:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I enjoyed the special. These specials are always a combination of hits and misses. Some cases it is the story, the art or even the specific character.

The only real exception was the Tyranny Rex strip. I did not help that I do not really like the character but overall this just did not work for me.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 June, 2018, 03:43:37 PM
TYRANNY REX - Katy Rex (really?) delivers a pretty boring story, with Leana Kangas's sketchy art doing nothing to improve it.

I wondered about that name too.  As for the story, it was okay but style-wise seemed more like Sinister Dexter than Tyranny Rex.

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 20 June, 2018, 12:51:41 PM
I'm pleased that the Sci-Fi Special has returned, I remember an all female cast way back (in 1990?) although Tyranny Rex really has changed so much, I'm not sure it's the same Tyranny Rex that used to be in 2000AD - it must be a clone ey?

I think you're thinking of 1989: Judge Anderson/Corey, Tyranny Rex, Moon Runners, Zippy Couriers and Maze Dumoir

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 20 June, 2018, 03:58:44 PM
Needless to say, I have nothing against female comic creators*

*bought a great one today-

Didn't realise female comic creators were for sale these days?

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 20 June, 2018, 09:11:34 PM
What Tordelback said, thats pretty much my review in a nutshell.

One question: is the Judge Death tale set in Gotham?

Yep - though I'm sure if it was written in the story it would have taken a few years of negotiations between corporate lawyers of Rebellion and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc...

Woolly

Quote from: sheridan on 21 June, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 20 June, 2018, 09:11:34 PM
What Tordelback said, thats pretty much my review in a nutshell.

One question: is the Judge Death tale set in Gotham?

Yep - though I'm sure if it was written in the story it would have taken a few years of negotiations between corporate lawyers of Rebellion and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc...

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.
Sneaky Rebellion!

Leigh S

I saw a comment (here or elsewhere) that it wasnt very 2000ad, but I think it upholds the feel of a Sci-Fi special very well, and the bits that "don't feel 2000AD" are not always the worse for that.

Storywise, I think the Dredd , Rogue and Anderson stories feel VERY 2000AD - good ideas for the most part well exectured ( there are a couple of odd moments in the Dredd where it isnt clear what is going on (the end of the first page and the top of the final page). Scriptwise, a few of the stories (Dredd/Tyranny/De Marco feel like they all needed a page to help with the set up or resolution, but that's about the worst I can say - some strong concepts in there, which is more than half the battle.

I always felt De Marco was badly served by the strips that came after Doomsday -  this is the kind of thing we should have had.

The art is maybe more of a mixed bag - I enjoyed Babb Tarr's Dredd art more than I thought I would from the previews but think it would have worked much better with an on model (or at least off Stallone model) Dredd.

Sam Beck's Rogue art is a bit stuff and perhaps more problematically very clean - needs more chem clouds!

Top marks for Emma Vieceli's Anderson art, which has a bit of Willsher about it to my eye.

Overall, this is certainly a perfectly good Sci-Fi special as well as being a successful venture in it's owwn right, or maybe being a perfectly good sci-fi special is what makes it a successful venture?  It certainly proves there is value in looking outside of the usual suspects

Richard

I wasn't expecting to like the Hockey Sticks story (the Terror Tale) but it was hilarious and brilliant.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Leigh S on 21 June, 2018, 10:13:13 PM
I saw a comment (here or elsewhere) that it wasnt very 2000ad, but I think it upholds the feel of a Sci-Fi special very well, and the bits that "don't feel 2000AD" are not always the worse for that.

I said something along those lines.

And I can see what you are getting at but for me it's just too far removed.

Like buying oranges and receiving cat litter.

Apestrife

Bit different, but I quite liked it overall. Especially Dredd, Death and DeMarco.

I think Beeby writes a good fun Dredd. "Excessive affection. Outbreaks of hugging." :D

Richard

Emma Vieceli's art on Anderson is outstanding. Her style reminds me of David Roach. Would be very happy to see more from her.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 22 June, 2018, 03:26:19 PM
Emma Vieceli's art on Anderson is outstanding. Her style reminds me of David Roach. Would be very happy to see more from her.

Yeah, and she takes on a hell of a lot of established visual elements in this strip for a first timer, and succeeds with 90% of it: only Orlok felt a wee bit off to me.  I'm really enjoying this development of Anderson as a multi-writer strip, after years of thinking it as 'Grant only', and to be honest, believing the character was entirely played out. 

Richard

Was there a Sci-Fi Special last year, or did we get Misty & Scream! instead?

broodblik

Quote from: Richard on 22 June, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
Was there a Sci-Fi Special last year, or did we get Misty & Scream! instead?

No special last year only the Scream & Misty Special
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.