Main Menu

Prog 2088 - Portal Enemies

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2018, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

This business about spoilers...I'm a bit confused.

This whole section is under the heading 'Spoilers'. People write their thoughts here after they've read the prog to express what they liked and didn't like about it.

Obviously people can read it before they read the prog but I assume that people expect spoilers from the heading and the nature of an amateur/fan review (as apposed to a professional tv/film/theatre critic's review) but read anyway...

I'm interested as my post contained a spoiler, but the main reason I posted was to say how much I loved what I referred to. I could have alluded to it rather than explicitly referring to it but I didn't think it was necessary...interested for future posts..

Andy Lambert

Absolutely adored Judge Dredd this week - stunning art from Weston, and that panel of Dredd brandishing that big gun saying "Sharks" - just perfect! The story was great fun, and felt like a real throwback to the hey day of the mid 80s. If the story was indeed published during that time, I can totally see Ron Smith on art duties.
Classic Dredd - loved it!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Geoff on 04 July, 2018, 07:40:11 PM
This business about spoilers...I'm a bit confused.

I know what you mean, but folks will potter past and I always think its nice to put spoiler tags on any signifcent events / reveals as a courtesy rather than a necessity. As Proudhuff says this was a reveal teased nicely before hand and I should have been a little more considerate.

broodblik

Most cases everyone is quite considerate regarding spoilers. I only get the prog on Wednesday and I will always read the site reviews and previews beforehand. So I know that sometimes someone will let the cat out the bag and I am fine with it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 July, 2018, 01:13:22 PM
Huff- I was going to make that a spolier- but frankly if you read the thread before the prog- then it's your own fault if you get a spoil.

It's a fair point.  The only thing worth remembering though is that they will show up in the 'recent posts' thread as well.  If folks are perusing the various different posts there then they might unintentionally see stuff from the spoiler thread.  Not sure if there is a more effective solution than using spoiler tags to be on the safe side?   :-*

broodblik

I just noticed that Durham Red is back to part six or is this only for the digital version of the prog ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

It's in the print version too.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: norton canes on 04 July, 2018, 03:26:54 PMDo artists generally have insurance for this sort of thing?
Here's hoping, but I doubt most do. I only took out insurance of this sort myself last year, after a bout of something that could have seen me laid up for a while. Fortunately, I was OK, but it made me think that having some income rather than nothing would be a very good thing.

As for the Prog, I liked the cover, thought Dredd was a decent opener, thought Skip Tracer was fine, remain baffled by what's going on in The Order, hope Red returns soon, and that Deadworld continues for years.

Bad City Blue

Chris Weston's art is amazing, great to have him back. Next week's cover by him is arsom as well.

Skip Tracer just became a dull mess for me. Thankfully it finishes next issue but will return in Prog 2100. Drokk!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

broodblik

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 05 July, 2018, 02:06:18 PM
Skip Tracer just became a dull mess for me. Thankfully it finishes next issue but will return in Prog 2100. Drokk!

Skip Tracer seams like one of those stories where people either love or hate it. I believe that with a new strip we should give it some time to establish itself. I do like Johnny Alpha, Slaine and the more establish characters but I still want to read something new as well.  Brink for example is something that never came running out of the blocks and was always a slow burner. Now before everyone get out their pitch forks and try to burn me at the stake, I am not comparing the two I am just trying to say just imagine Brink was canned because it was to slow for some readers.

Dandontdare

I've been waiting for Skip Tracer to pull the rug out and provide a classic 2000ad twist to elevate it above the standard sci-fi tropes ... but it hasn't. Lovely opening to Dredd, fabulous artwork. The Order is totally bonkers in the best possible way. Durham Red is fine - can't put my finger on exactly why it isn't quite gripping me as it should. Deadworld is the best thing that's been in the prog for years and I've been loving every page of every instalment.

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 05 July, 2018, 03:31:45 PM
Skip Tracer seams like one of those stories where people either love or hate it ... Brink for example is something that never came running out of the blocks ... I am not comparing the two ...

Steve Ross described Skip Tracer as Brink if it had run in the early eighties. *

I don't love it or hate it; it's okay. It's something new that feels like you've read it before, as if it was written to recreate the feeling of reading a Meg floppy.

* Probably scripted by Alan Hebden or Tom Tully. Despite the angry cow, it's not quite mental enough to rank alongside Meltdown Man, but then it doesn't test the patience in the same way as Mean Arena either.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 05 July, 2018, 02:06:18 PM
Said the same thing on another thread but I never get tired of repeating myself: not loving Skip Tracer but I'm very much in favour of Tharg giving new strips two or three runs in quick succession to see how they work out.

On the whole it's a bit of a nothing strip. Not heinously bad, but not especially engaging and in the overcrowded "investigating crimes on a space station" sub-genre it's old school action cliffhangers are blown out of the water by the talky but riveting Brink.

I'm not enjoying much of the Prog at the moment. Everything seems too backwards looking or maybe I'm just jetlagged.

I normally thoroughly enjoy a Rob Williams Dredd but this one didn't hit the mark. Dirty Frank and Sensitive Klegg somehow stay on the right side of the absurd/stupid line for me but most of the attempted laughs here strain just a little too hard. Top marks for the Dredd/Filth crossover though. One of those Chimps has to be Dmitri 9...

Still, that was a lot better than the stuff we've had of late. Last week's effort reminded me of Vector 13 in that it was piled high with text boxes telling us about the story rather than simply telling it. That can probably be chalked up to a newish writer missing the mark for once.

No such escape clause for Paradigm Shift. Having presumably run out of Dredd minutiae to revisit and bring up to date, Carroll now starts sifting backwards and elaborating on stuff which really doesn't need it. A competently crafted story that went nowhere and did nothing.  Tharg's threat of more of this stuff in the Megazine soon didn't go unnoticed either. I assume the Booth era Judge was called Deacon to tie into Fleischer's Harlem Heroes?

The Order I normally enjoy on a reread. This outing is already suitably convoluted. Deadworld I've warmed to since rereading the story to date, but the number of Dredd/MC1 analogues popping up in this run has possibly gone too far.

Which leaves Durham Red as the best thing in the current run. This story opened very strongly, went a bit sideways in the middle but I thought this episode's internal voice was fairly strong.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 05 July, 2018, 05:04:17 PM
Steve Ross described Skip Tracer as Brink if it had run in the early eighties.
Hmm. Why did he need to be so concise when he could've blathered on like me.
We never really die.