Main Menu

Essential Judge Dredd Apocalypse War

Started by broodblik, 13 January, 2021, 02:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For the upcoming release of Essential Judge Dredd Apocalypse War I noticed that the collection is going to be in all colour. Now I never read the original run when it was first published. Was it then already all colour or just this first two pages of each episode?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 13 January, 2021, 02:24:45 PM
For the upcoming release of Essential Judge Dredd Apocalypse War I noticed that the collection is going to be in all colour. Now I never read the original run when it was first published. Was it then already all colour or just this first two pages of each episode?

Just the centre spreads in the original publication. Was it coloured/re-coloured by IDW...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tomwe

I only just realised it would be in colour too!

Images from this news article Still can't find a colour credit...

Colin YNWA

Oh this might tickle my curiosity now. I wonder if its the colour used in IDW edition as Jim said.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 January, 2021, 02:40:04 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 13 January, 2021, 02:24:45 PM

Just the centre spreads in the original publication. Was it coloured/re-coloured by IDW...?

I pre-ordered it digitally and when it is available I will see who did the colouring
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Twitter account confirmed:
QuoteThis is a combination of the original colour pages and colour from the IDW collection. The US Case Files (up to vol. 12) aren't in colour.

As you say, I've become more interested in these Essential books knowing they're different to, say the Hachette collections.

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

Are these original Prog size does anyone know?

Tomwe

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 January, 2021, 01:59:05 PM
Are these original Prog size does anyone know?
The size is listed as 21.59 x 27.58 cm, prog size at the time was 24 x 28 cm
This image is the best I can find as a guide to how big these Essential books are (the actual video here didn't work for some reason)

IndigoPrime

That's a still from Near Mint Condition, easily my favourite YouTube comics channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX6kqTUFzQaKJKBaqzuNdg

(Host Omar isn't big on 2000 AD, but recently 'discovered' Dredd after people had been hassling about doing so far ages, and it totally clicked with him by CF3. He put CF5 in his favourite reads of 2020.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlHYG85t21I

Lorenzo

Quote from: Tomwe on 15 January, 2021, 12:54:38 PM
Twitter account confirmed:
QuoteThis is a combination of the original colour pages and colour from the IDW collection. The US Case Files (up to vol. 12) aren't in colour.

As you say, I've become more interested in these Essential books knowing they're different to, say the Hachette collections.
The only other difference I can see between this Essential book and the IDW version is, IDW is available in hardback and has a slightly shrunk image size. There's also a collection of original full colour 2000AD covers and Jim Fern's IDW Classics covers in the back.

Tjm86

TBH I was looking at this and wondering.  Of the different collections we have the options of:
- original progs with colour spreads and b&w pages;
- various and sundry Titan editions in b&w (original sizing);
- mega collection in b&w IIRC (slightly reduced size);
- Eagle comics resized but fully coloured (American newsstand size);
- IDW digitally coloured (reduced to fit newsstand).

For me IDW colours are cracking but those covers?  Seriously, what were they thinking?  Eagle has a selection of Bolland or Gibson covers.  The artist that IDW contracted couldn't hold a candle to either of those.  Not using Ezquerra was sacrilege though. 

Having said that they did a variant for the first issue with Bolland's classic Block Mania cover fuller colourised, a work of beauty to be sure.

Looking at this, an Ezquerra cover with IDW colours would be my ideal.  If I didn't have the IDW version I would have seriously considered this.

Colin YNWA

Mines arrived and have to say its a handsome volume. Decent size, smidge smaller than original Progs, smells good, nice design.

What's really struck me though is how the colours sits with different artists. Now this is from a flick through and my eyes might adjust. But the colour seems to sit perfectly with the Bolland pages for example. It looks good on the Dillon and to my surprise McMahon pages. It just seems to click in and be natural.

Sadly for this volume its less successful on the Ezquerra pages. Well successful is possibly unfair, it just looks like its been added, like its on top of the line work rather than naturally part of the art. I have no idea why that might be and I'm reasonably sure my eyes may adjust cos is a decent colouring job and on some pages excellent. Just sits better with some of the art more than others.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 January, 2021, 05:44:56 PM
Sadly for this volume its less successful on the Ezquerra pages. Well successful is possibly unfair, it just looks like its been added, like its on top of the line work rather than naturally part of the art. I have no idea why that might be

I suspect it might be because we've seen so much of Carlos' art which he coloured himself, unlike any of the others, that there's a pre-existing expectation of what Carlos-in-colour looks like...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Yes, what you saying about the colouring not working as great as the other artists is true. I am looking at the digital one. It almost looks like a different person did the colours for The Apocalypse War versus Block Mania