Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Round 10 - SEEDINGS

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 March, 2021, 06:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Almost there, almost there. Last call for votes here as I'll count this one up in the morning and we'll be ready (well preparation willing) to kick off the knockouts Monday first thing. If you want to get your favourite epic a better seeding vote now... or just vote for Cursed Earth to keep me happy!

Link Prime

GoGilesGo

No contest as to the best of the bunch here. Judge Child has everything you want to from an epic - a fabulous mcguffin in the form of Owen Krysler; legendary antagonists; meaningful world-building (I'll take the three episodes in Memphis over the whole of The Cursed Earth) and a great balance of humour (Mean stuck on 4 1/2) with high terror (Old Joe Blind; Lopez under the influence).

And then that ending. "I see only...Evil"

What elevates it even further is that all three artists are drawing to their strengths and illustrate the perfect episodes. No one could have evoked the Jigsaw Man as well as Bolland did, nor Murd the Opressor as gloriously as McMahon...and neither could have drawn the Pazaaz war wheels as well as Ron Smith.

Perfection.

Judge Child
Tour of Duty
Oz

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Quote from: gogilesgo on 26 March, 2021, 08:51:55 AM
No contest as to the best of the bunch here. Judge Child has everything you want to from an epic - a fabulous mcguffin in the form of Owen Krysler; legendary antagonists; meaningful world-building (I'll take the three episodes in Memphis over the whole of The Cursed Earth) and a great balance of humour (Mean stuck on 4 1/2) with high terror (Old Joe Blind; Lopez under the influence).

And then that ending. "I see only...Evil"

What elevates it even further is that all three artists are drawing to their strengths and illustrate the perfect episodes. No one could have evoked the Jigsaw Man as well as Bolland did, nor Murd the Opressor as gloriously as McMahon...and neither could have drawn the Pazaaz war wheels as well as Ron Smith.

Perfection.

Yes totally agree:

Best Dredd epic
Best art

Indeed it might well be my favourite story in all comics, ever.

Dark Jimbo

Hmm, getting really tough now.

Tour of Duty still top for me. There's just so much going on.
Necropolis still getting a vote from me, not so much for the Dark Judges stuff, but for the excellent build-up, the Bloodline stuff, and the legacy.
The Cursed Earth is not my favourite of what's left, but, dammit, it was the first! The one that pointed the way for all epics to follow. Plus it does a ton of world-building, most all of which is still informing the strip now - Bad Bob Booth, anyone?
@jamesfeistdraws

paddykafka

Funt Solo

Quote from: gogilesgo on 26 March, 2021, 08:51:55 AM
No one could have evoked the Jigsaw Man as well as Bolland did, nor Murd the Opressor as gloriously as McMahon...and neither could have drawn the Pazaaz war wheels as well as Ron Smith.

You inspired me to look these out:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

So we have the seeding done and its been an interesting set of vote - which you all got wrong - but I'll move one - so without any more whining from me about how The Cursed Earth shaped the way I view all fiction - ahem this isn't one of my self-absorbed thread is it... the results to take us into the knockouts Friday...

16th Seed = Machine Law - 1 point
15th Seed = The Day the Law Died - 10 points
14th Seed = The Cursed Earth - 12 points
13th Seed = The Pit - 16 points
12th Seed = Oz - 19 points
11th Seed = Judge Child - 20 points
10th Seed = Tour of Duty - 31 points
9th Seed = Necropolis - 41 points

So yeah the points distribution has closed up and when we close in on the real quality in the pack I think we might get some real interesting results.

Join me Monday when the knockouts begin.

GoGilesGo

You inspired me to look these out:

NOTHING CAN STAND AGAINST THE WAR WHEELS!

Glorious.