Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Watched the new David Fincher movie The Killer on Netflix last night.

Surprisingly good, despite the pretty poor promo and "Can I make it through this?" opening credits montage.

I know it's already on the Hollywood cards, but Fincher and Fassbender are only a blonde wig away from a decent Button Man adaptation as it stands.

broodblik

Enjoyed The Killer as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

paddykafka

Predestination (2014)

A time-travel movie, with Ethan Hawke as an agent who travels through time to prevent crimes before they happen.  A very inventive, intelligent and unusual movie with many twists along the way. And Sarah Snook is also excellent as one of the main characters. I really enjoyed this film and would definitely watch it again. Highly recommended!

Funt Solo

Quote from: JohnW on 13 November, 2023, 07:53:36 AM(Now would you all please stop making fun of my failing memory and refrain from bringing up any more good Stephen King adaptations? Please?)

And the viaducts!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Hell's Angels on Wheels

I've a list of films backed up to watch and yet somehow I stumbled across this on Amazon Prime and it got watched. Basically a late 60s (before Easy Rider) biker movie starring Jack Nicholson and its a bit weird. The fact that its from the 60s and got a mainstream theatre release (quite limited apparently) meant that its had its teeth removed somewhat. Even though it had some real Hell's Angels in it including then President, who was also a consultation means it seems to want to be authentic... and yet doesn't quite manage to feel real, or a parody, or a warning or anything really. Its just an odd little tale of 'Poet' played by Nicholson getting accepted to ride along with a gang before being accepted. Getting up to mischief and a bit of fighting... all feeling too safe... falling in love. Then having a very dull climactic conflicit with the gang leader.

All this made all the more woolly by having some of the key 'we're doing biking things' set to some quite cool, but out of place 60s tunes...

... all a bit... tonely curious

paddykafka

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 November, 2023, 04:46:08 PMHell's Angels on Wheels

Even though it had some real Hell's Angels in it including then President, who was also a consultation means it seems to want to be authentic...

Have to admit that I had a momentary head-wobble at this, imagining JFK as a Hell's Angel biker.  :lol:

The Legendary Shark

"My fellow Angels: ask not what your motorcycle can do for you—ask what you can do for your motorcycle."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I stay with Van Damme last night and watched Timecop because it's a movie called Timecop.  It was fine.  Not as good as Universal Soldier, considerably better than Universal Soldier: The Return.  Silly sci-fi action movie - not much else I can say.

I really enjoy 1408.  Never read a Stephen King book, so have no comments about the source material, but I find the film engaging and interesting with a bleakness that didn't seem mean spirited.

I, Cosh

Hang on. Are we saying that Carrie and The Running Man aren't great films now?!
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 November, 2023, 12:34:29 AMHang on. Are we saying that Carrie and The Running Man aren't great films now?!

Reg: All right, but apart from The Mist, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery, The Shining, The Dead Zone, The Green Mile, Carrie, The Running Man, Dolores Claiborne, It and Children of the Corn - what have Stephen King's movie adaptations ever done for us?

Xerxes: Christine?

Reg: Oh - Christine? Shut up!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

The only good King adaptation is The Longoliers.

I am not accepting questions at this time.

The Legendary Shark

When I first watched Stranger Things, I would have sworn that King had a hand in it. But nope. Those Duffer Brothers are just as King as King, maybe even slightly moreso.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 November, 2023, 07:04:46 PMWhen I first watched Stranger Things, I would have sworn that King had a hand in it.

Can't imagine why anyone would ever think that...

Colin YNWA

Just finished Bones and All and wow that was an experience. Brilliant, beautiful, disturbing, horrible.

Its not like any other film I've seen, or not for a long time anyway. Its a love story about two young adults forced outside society normals. The reason for that is the horrific backbone of the story and also not as important as the doomed beauty of the growing love and trust for one another in extreme circumstances. As they struggle to find themselves and their place in the world its so moving. And yet the fact that they have a compulsion to eat people means there is a gripping tension all the way through and a deeply sadding knowledge that however hard they try they won't escape what they are.

Fantastic, but be in a good place when you watch it.