Main Menu

Battle Action returns as original graphic novel.

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 06 January, 2022, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Being informed is vastly overrated... look at twitter  :)
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 10 January, 2022, 08:00:19 PM
His original run on Dredd was quite varied. There are some truly horrible stories like Muzak Killer Live and A Man Called Greener. But he also did Raider, which I like very much (and so did Karl Urban), and Justice One, and Twilight's Last Gleaming. And he was much better than everyone who came next until Wagner came back.

I know I'm in a minority, but I wasn't a fan of Kevin Costner IS Karl Raider in Raider.  Correct me if I've misremembered the details, and I may well have, but too many things just didn't make sense.   A judge who quits in disgrace being allowed to keep his lawgiver?  Dredd pistol-whipping a perp who was already in custody (with a cheesy line like 'You have the right to remain silent')?  Dredd, whose brooding had recently become a major ongoing theme, complaining that Raider thinks too much?  Nahh.  When I look at the Garth of his recent(ish) war comics, and his Punisher Max stuff, and even Crossed (where the final fate of those four British army mates actually brought a tear to my eye, and eclipsed Alan freaking Moore's work on the same series), it's hard to believe it's the same writer as those early Dredds.

The Democracy one was pretty good, though, as was Justice One.  And never mind Judge Proudfoot; there was a Judge Gaylord in Judgement Day.

Thread cleanup—IP
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

I don't like a lot of Ennis Dredd, but I respect the way in which he's responded to his old work. He notes he was young and too in thrall to those who went before. He lacked the maturity to take on the mantle, and I'd say a lot of the blame lies with the editorial team in not recognising that. Then again, they at the time seemed quite happy for Morrison and Millar to wreck the crown jewels — and those two have been comparatively arrogant about their time on the comic, rather than regretting the crap they churned out.

I find Ennis a tough read sometimes. I own a set of Preacher, but there's a lot I really don't like about it. I abhorred 90%+ of The Boys (although enjoyed the first series of the TV show). But I'm glad he's thoughtful about the work he produced and the new content he's producing, and that he seems so keen to keep alive important British comics brands when, frankly, he could probably get a gig anywhere he wanted.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Richard on 10 January, 2022, 08:00:19 PM
But he also did Raider, which I like very much

yes, me too. I think this might be Ennis' best Dredd effort and the closest he ever came to 'getting' Dredd. The dialogue at the end when the two Class of '79 graduates have a showdown

Raider "Been a long time, Joe. I wondered what I'd say to you when we got to this..."

Dredd "I haven't. Drop the guns, Raider. You're under arrest"

is perfectly unsentimental.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 January, 2022, 07:12:50 PM
...too many things just didn't make sense.   A judge who quits in disgrace being allowed to keep his lawgiver?  Dredd pistol-whipping a perp who was already in custody? 

though I also can't help agreeing with these points from Jaysus

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 January, 2022, 09:16:52 AM
I don't like a lot of Ennis Dredd, but I respect the way in which he's responded to his old work. He notes he was young and too in thrall to those who went before. He lacked the maturity to take on the mantle, and I'd say a lot of the blame lies with the editorial team in not recognising that. Then again, they at the time seemed quite happy for Morrison and Millar to wreck the crown jewels — and those two have been comparatively arrogant about their time on the comic, rather than regretting the crap they churned out.

Yep, Ennis shot up in my estimation when I realised he had pretty much the same views of his early Dredds as I do. (He loses a couple of brownie points for hating cats, but nobody's  perfect).  To be fair to Millar, I vaguely remember him in a Megazine interview accepting that his own prog stuff wasn't so hot either, though in his case it was for the opposite reasons - he didn't really know much about 2000ad when he started working for it.

Also, IP, thanks for cleaning up my messy attempts at modifying my posts!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 January, 2022, 03:24:40 PM
Ennis comes across like a good egg. Nice to see him still singing the praises of 2000 AD as well.

Indeed, he was great at the Lakes Comic Con I attended, happy to talk non-comic stuff with my partner, comic stuff with me and listened politely to my asking for a story about the Red Ball Express and the contribution of the (mainly) black drivers. And he'd happily sign any of his stuff, including the page where Judge Proudfoot is hung out to dry.  :)
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2022, 01:40:47 PM
Garth. Garth. GARTH.

Garth baby.

Not only can you write your own cheque on this, we'll even reprint Sleeze 'n' Ryder as a deal sweetener.

< Flashes 80's sleazy exec smile >

Pretty sure Garth disowned Sleaze'n'Ryder a long, long time ago.

broodblik

If you are not super excited by this here is a picture of The Sarge by PJ (sorry PJ for stealing your thunder I cannot help myself):

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Yep that is one fine, fine, reason to be excited about that story. Brilliant stuff.

broodblik

Richard S.

about halfway through it so far - really enjoying the comic strips.

As ever, the non-comic strips needed another proof-read* - it's "The Sweeney" not "The Sweeny" and it's "Phil Gascoine" not "Phil Gascoigne"

*I'm sure they were proof-read plenty of times, but, y'know, it needed to be done again
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard S. on 14 June, 2022, 06:20:49 AM*I'm sure they were proof-read plenty of times, but, y'know, it needed to be done again
Perhaps there's something amiss at the Nerve Centre in terms of resource. The 45th anniversary book is a lovely object, but the first page of text alone (the intro) is littered with errors. (I just quickly went through it and found nine in a single pass – more if you were to align with broadly standard style across modern press.) That just seems odd to me.

IndigoPrime

Having read a few more pages of this, it's bizarre. It's like a first draft escaped into the wild. It's a good job the book is mostly about the art; but, honestly, if 2000 AD was edited like this, I'd have a hard time reading it.