Spoilers > Prog

Dredd: The Citadel

<< < (2/6) > >>

Magnetica:
I think the final part does provide the answers you are looking for.

Tjm86:
Maybe but it looks like I'm going to have to wait until monday or tuesday when my subscriber prog turns up.

:-(

Richard:
This changes nothing.

Tjm86:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 April, 2022, 03:14:45 PM --- Thought experiment with The Citadel: if 2000 AD had somehow accidentally left off the creator credits for these weeks, what would you think? Personally, it didn’t click with me at all. Even taking into consideration the unreliable witness angle, it just felt a bit off to me.
--- End quote ---

I hope that this is not a problem but I felt like it needed to be brought back here.  I mean, there are two issues here that I try to address:
- the author of the piece in question;
- issues around witness validity.

For me personally the former is a major factor.  Then again I find myself heavily influenced by the likes of Foucault.  So the fact that Wagner is ascribed as author of this tale is something that I need to attend to.  If I'm completely honest, my initial reaction was the same as IP's: there is something odd here.  What is Wagner saying?

I would say that this ties into questions about witness validity:
  Wagner is narrating Winterton's recollections = this is a true and accurate account of events.

Except this is an assumption on our part and brings us back to the point I find myself faced with by this tale: how much of this is about Wagner challenging us as readers to accept what may be coming?

Magnetica suggests that when my subscriber copy does finally land on Monday or Tuesday (post arrived today ... ironically, a volume of Foucault lectures on parrhesia ... truth statements ... so it's not a delivery problem) a lot of my questions will be answered.  I'm not so confident though.

Personally I'm looking forward to the final instalment all the more now.  I was in IndigoPrime's camp with regard to this story.  Even the artwork was problematic for me, too much modern 'Dredd'.  Now I'm not so sure.  I'm open to different interpretations.  To me the whole point of the 'unreliable witness' motif is to foreground these issues.  Ultimately there is only one person who can answer these questions.

What it does mean though is that I find myself looking forward to the next prog delivery in a way that I have not in a long time (ironically dating back to the time of events described in the story ...).

Tjm86:

--- Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2022, 12:44:43 PM ---I think the final part does provide the answers you are looking for.

--- End quote ---

.. and finally it lands.  Point taken.  So the final part draws out many of the threads mentioned regarding memory and reliability.  Another viewpoint is offered that purports to show the 'truth' and offer another interpretation of events.

The proof of the alternate theory is a subtle throwaway visual.  A cursory reading would possibly miss it.

What does it change?  I think Richard has a point.  There is nothing dramatic, nothing that is likely to ripple out.  The list of those who know the 'truth' is incredibly short.

I suppose the same could be said for us as readers.  As we move forward will we continue to struggle with changes to MC1 and Dredd?  What I would say though is that it has been a more interesting tale than I originally felt it was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version