Spoilers > Prog

Prog 2283 - Scare in the community

<< < (4/4)

nxylas:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2022, 03:46:34 PM ---But between him, Williams, Carroll, etc, with input from a handful of others, Dredd is in good hands, even if it does sometimes feel a bit like we’re reading several alternate universe Dredds rather than a single cohesive whole.

--- End quote ---
I actually kind of like the way each writer has carved their own little niche within the Dreddverse, with Matt presumably keeping a watchful eye to make sure they don't contradict each other (not that Wagner and Grant ever worried much about that when they were sole writers). YMMV of course.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2022, 03:46:34 PM ---Personally, I’d say Niemend’s writing feels the closest to Wagner’s, in a manner only Al Ewing has really matched.

--- End quote ---

Not sure about that… for me, Al managed to write Dredds that were unmistakably Ewing, but still felt like Dredd. It's hard to articulate, but Dredd is actually such a difficult character to get right that when a writer tries to bring their own 'stamp' to the strip, it usually involves shifting at least a few degrees off what feels right for Dredd.

What I think both Ewing and Niemand bring (brought) is a desire to get Dredd right first, then write stories around that… and that's what makes them feel Wagner-ish — the fact that Joe is generally spot on. After all, the Wagner/Grant then Wagner-solo era encompasses such a vast range of tone, mood, and even genre, it's hard to point at any story that's definitively Dredd, other than for the fact that Dredd's in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version