Main Menu

Prog 2283 - Scare in the community

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 May, 2022, 06:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2022, 03:46:34 PM
But between him, Williams, Carroll, etc, with input from a handful of others, Dredd is in good hands, even if it does sometimes feel a bit like we're reading several alternate universe Dredds rather than a single cohesive whole.
I actually kind of like the way each writer has carved their own little niche within the Dreddverse, with Matt presumably keeping a watchful eye to make sure they don't contradict each other (not that Wagner and Grant ever worried much about that when they were sole writers). YMMV of course.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2022, 03:46:34 PM
Personally, I'd say Niemend's writing feels the closest to Wagner's, in a manner only Al Ewing has really matched.

Not sure about that... for me, Al managed to write Dredds that were unmistakably Ewing, but still felt like Dredd. It's hard to articulate, but Dredd is actually such a difficult character to get right that when a writer tries to bring their own 'stamp' to the strip, it usually involves shifting at least a few degrees off what feels right for Dredd.

What I think both Ewing and Niemand bring (brought) is a desire to get Dredd right first, then write stories around that... and that's what makes them feel Wagner-ish — the fact that Joe is generally spot on. After all, the Wagner/Grant then Wagner-solo era encompasses such a vast range of tone, mood, and even genre, it's hard to point at any story that's definitively Dredd, other than for the fact that Dredd's in it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.