Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

Question for the constitutional experts (on the politics thread!Ha!):

Can a party without a majority be supported to form a government by another party, without a coalition? In other words, if Labour + SNP + Lib Dem > Tory, but Labour < Tory,  could they support Labour in forming a  minority government from the opposition benches?

Jim_Campbell

I think a formal coalition is required, otherwise the single largest party without a majority can form a minority government and attempt to pass legislation on an ad-hoc basis until the majority opposition parties can get enough combined votes to force a no confidence vote against them. The question is whether, if the Tories came in a handful of seats short, the LibDems a) had enough seats to get the Tories over the 326 line and, b) they'd actually be stupid enough to that again.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Be great if the LibDems got in again: five years of people telling us things could be worse, which is just what you want to hear when your mum's walked into oncoming traffic because her benefits were sanctioned.

Dandontdare

I believe the government is formed by whomever the Queen invites to form it. It is only tradition (and common sense) that she always asks the leader of the largest party to form her government, but technically she could ask anyone - pointless if they don't have enough votes to passs any legislation, but technically possible

Professor Bear

News coming in about an "incident" on London Bridge, and follow-up police action in Borough Market.  Stay safe, London peeps.

maryanddavid

Stay safe, just watching the news, worrying.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 June, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
The question is whether, if the Tories came in a handful of seats short, the LibDems a) had enough seats to get the Tories over the 326 line and, b) they'd actually be stupid enough to that again.

Can't find anything more recent, but as of April 2017 the following had been reported on as views of the lib dem leader / senior lib dems (can't be bothered to post links, but the following were all in the top 10 on google for "liberal democrat coalition"):

• the lib dems have ruled out going in to coalition
  • the lib dems have to consider going in to coalition to get in to power
  • the lib dems have ruled out going in to coalition with the Tories again
  • the lib dems would consider going in to coalition with the Tories again
  • the lib dems have ruled out going in to coalition wth Labour

Modern Panther

The SNP are likely to win about 50 seats (which will be reported as a massive loss to the Tories), and whilst they wouldn't enter into a coalition with Labour, they would absolutely be in favour of  the formation of a Labour minority government.  My original query was around this idea - if the Tories were in a minority, the opposition could threaten a vote of no confidence, and call for formation of a minority Labour government.

IndigoPrime

Problem is, unless polling's way off, the only viable majority will be Con+SNP, which isn't going to happen. My guess is the polls are optimistic from Labour's standpoint and we'll see a 50+ Con majority, with the Lib Dems basically wiped out (signally the end of them as anything other than a rounding error). In the unlikely scenario we get a minority Tory government, it wouldn't surprise me if we go through all this shit again by the end of the year.

Modern Panther

A whole series of general election beckon, each less informed than the last, all fought on the principle that you already had a vote on important issues and you're not getting another one.  The PM is seen less and less in each one, initial we're just led by an abstract concept -"MAY".  It has no policy other than it will never negotiate.

"strengthen my hand, damn you! "trengthen it!"

Goaty

Wow, Theresa May is totally f**ked.

IndigoPrime

Goaty

Professor Bear

Go watch BBC coverage of the election, Goaty.  That's what most of the electorate are seeing.

We're fucked.

Goaty

My birthday is on 9th June, yes I am fucked.