Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 September, 2022, 12:27:41 PM
CRIMES OF THE FUTURE

After briefly becoming embroiled in an NFT scam, Cronenberg is finally getting back to his meat and potatoes with an erotic body horror melodrama that rivals the best of his peak work. Nasty, gnarly, repulsive and horny as shit. Love it.

ooh, I didn't know this had been released. By what medium did you see it?

Anyway, I just watched Thor. By which I mean the light of its picture hit my eyeballs and the GNR soundtrack hit my ears. Most of it bounced off.

When did Thor become such an asshole?
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 09 September, 2022, 10:12:21 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 September, 2022, 12:27:41 PM
CRIMES OF THE FUTURE

After briefly becoming embroiled in an NFT scam, Cronenberg is finally getting back to his meat and potatoes with an erotic body horror melodrama that rivals the best of his peak work. Nasty, gnarly, repulsive and horny as shit. Love it.

ooh, I didn't know this had been released. By what medium did you see it?

Dropped in select cinemas today. Might want to check with your local fleapit to feel suitably violated.

broodblik

Watch the latest Marvel movie Thor Love and Thunder and to put it quite simply this is the weakest Marvel movie off them all and was just average. It looks like the tried to make a slap-stick comedy and not a superhero movie. The acting was forced, and you can feel the actors did not believe in the movie (an over-the-top ridiculous movie can be great when actors make it believable). So, I am very disappointed in the current batch of Marvel movies looks like the magic is gone.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

I watched my young grandson playing with his toy cars and action figures the other day. Some cars went through a minefield and everything blew up then they flew through the air on a rope but bad man he gotted way. And then they had more chases and flights and explosions and one of the cars went into space and blowed things up. And a big truck blowed up too.

Or was I watching FAST AND FURIOUS NINE?

To be fair, I was entertained for some of it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Colin YNWA

RRR on Netflix. I believe the most expensive Indian film ever made and it shows in many places. Quite an astonishing thing to behold. Go in knowing what you will be getting and the 3 hours won't seem too many.

Astonishing.

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 10 September, 2022, 06:59:25 PM
Watch the latest Marvel movie Thor Love and Thunder and to put it quite simply this is the weakest Marvel movie off them all and was just average. It looks like the tried to make a slap-stick comedy and not a superhero movie. The acting was forced, and you can feel the actors did not believe in the movie (an over-the-top ridiculous movie can be great when actors make it believable). So, I am very disappointed in the current batch of Marvel movies looks like the magic is gone.

That was all sorts of awful. Taika Waititi has some interesting work under his belt, but this is dire - and the forced, steady cameo as Korg is just utterly pointless. It's like Taika himself is standing there making tedious non sequiturs. At exactly zero laughs, it's definitely not a comedy. The heroes can teleport away from danger and hang out for perhaps days in a hospital while the baddy waits patiently for them to come back - so it's not a drama.

For all that it features Jane Foster's Thor, the story really revolves strongly around Thor-Thor's feelings about losing his true love (Mjolnir) and, also, not being able to get off with his ex.

Weak sauce.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

The Gray Man. Ryan Gosling's supercool Agent Six tears his way through a fairly standard jilted-agent action thriller that just keeps gathering steam until there's nothing left to blow up, nothing left to shoot-up, nothing left to smash-up, nobody left to tool-up, and nobody left who ain't beat-up. Bad guy Chris Evans looks like he's having a blast playing a sociopathic mercenary who has no qualms shooting civilian police. To be fair, Agent Six doesn't mind shooting the odd cop either, but only in the limbs, which will leave them crippled and disfigured but not dead, making him the chivalrous Goodie, I suppose. Is it me, or is chivalry not what it used to be? Anyway, complete over the top action all the way - gloriously daft fun. Enjoyed it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2022, 01:14:11 AM

The Gray Man. Ryan Gosling's supercool Agent Six tears his way through a fairly standard jilted-agent action thriller that just keeps gathering steam until there's nothing left to blow up, nothing left to shoot-up, nothing left to smash-up, nobody left to tool-up, and nobody left who ain't beat-up. Bad guy Chris Evans looks like he's having a blast playing a sociopathic mercenary who has no qualms shooting civilian police. To be fair, Agent Six doesn't mind shooting the odd cop either, but only in the limbs, which will leave them crippled and disfigured but not dead, making him the chivalrous Goodie, I suppose. Is it me, or is chivalry not what it used to be? Anyway, complete over the top action all the way - gloriously daft fun. Enjoyed it.

YMMV; this was illogical expo for a few minutes followed by over the top action for ten minutes. Cliche, overlong, underplotted nonsense that sums up everything wrong about modern conveyor belt churned movies. We gave up on it after an hour, but I could tell you how it ends...
Lock up your spoons!

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 September, 2022, 07:26:32 PM
RRR on Netflix. I believe the most expensive Indian film ever made and it shows in many places. Quite an astonishing thing to behold. Go in knowing what you will be getting and the 3 hours won't seem too many.

Astonishing.

Yeah, this was quite a film!

Jim_Campbell

Late to the party, as ever: Prey.

Yep. That was great. I've never been massively invested in the Predator franchise (outside of the first two, I think I've maybe seen ten minutes of one of the AvP movies) but I thought this was comfortably the equal of either of those.

At a pleasingly compact 100 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome. Spends a little time at the start letting you get to know the characters and doesn't mind lingering on some of those magnificent Canadian landscapes, but I don't have a problem with any of that. Amber Midthunder is fantastic and the doggo is terrific.

Well worth one hour forty of your time.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I, also late to the party, rather enjoyed BILL AND TED FACE THE MUSIC. It's not perfect but so genuinely well meaning and sweet that it carries you through. The actors playing the daughters were absolutely spot on.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 October, 2022, 10:24:40 AM
I, also late to the party, rather enjoyed BILL AND TED FACE THE MUSIC. It's not perfect but so genuinely well meaning and sweet that it carries you through. The actors playing the daughters were absolutely spot on.

A few years back, I worked on a couple of Bill & Ted books for BOOM — they were pretty good, TBH, but the icing on the cake when Alex Winter contacted the editorial team to say how much he was enjoying them, and was reading them with one of his daughters.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Company of Wolves

Some films you shouldn't go back to. Loved this in the day and haven't seen it for years so was looking forward to revisiting having stumbled across it on ITV HUB. I mean watching something via ITV Hub affords it some sympathy but not enough.

I mean its clear what its trying to do. It is visually interesting in place. Ultimatey the characters and ideas are just a bit flat andf obivous for a modern viewer (cos I'm so modern). I mean the character being flat you could forgive on the basis its a dream of a fairy tale and so my working assumption has always been that was the intend. The trouble is they are still flat. It tries lots of ideas and in doing that doesn't really develop many beyond a superficial level.

Its not terrible its just not the film my memory wanted it to be.

Hawkmumbler

I think a great appreciation of CoW can be met if you're at all familiar with any of Angela Carters work.
If not it can come across as somewhat stilted.