Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 September, 2014, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 08 September, 2014, 09:32:36 AM
Hellraiser: Deader!

Crap title, Crap film. I really should have known better, but I was bored!

Cheers

I have recently watched all the Hellraiser movies - never has the law of diminishing returns been writ so large.

I attempted to do the same on a Netflix binge recently, and I think Deader was the last one I made it to (or maybe Hellseeker?). They do become truly terrible, and apparently the very last one was knocked out in about a week just so they could keep the Hellraiser rights. Even Doug Bradley drew the line at that one, so it's probably a real treat.

I still plan to go back and finish the series, but have no idea why. Something about horror franchises keep you coming back for more punishment.

Richmond Clements

QuoteThey do become truly terrible, and apparently the very last one was knocked out in about a week just so they could keep the Hellraiser rights. Even Doug Bradley drew the line at that one, so it's probably a real treat.

Revelations in an interesting one. It is a monumentally bad movie, bit there's a good movie in there somewhere - it almost makes it in places, but really suffers from a lack of Doug Bradley.

QuoteSomething about horror franchises keep you coming back for more punishment.

Mmm... there's a story in that somewhere..!

Steve Green

Noah, on a bit of an Aranofsky binge, so have the Fountain and Black Swan to watch as well.

Odd film, I'd loved to have seen the feedback cards at test screenings...

COMMANDO FORCES

Noah was rather strange when it became all Lord of the Rings at one stage. Didn't see the trailers so don't know if those bits were shown and I'm not going to mention what, as it would spoil the fun!

Steve Green

[spoiler]I've read they kept them out of pre-publicity.

I just found out that Hector from Breaking Bad was the voice of one of those. Ting![/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Logan's Run - more like Shit's Shit, am I right?
Doesn't make a lick of sense or hold together under even the passing scrutiny of a brain that willingly watched Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Buck's Duel to the Death this very morning and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I've always been freaked out by those hand-crystal things, wondering how you'd pick up and hold teacups or glasses with them jutting out like that, but if you stop to think about it a bit, it just seems like a dumb concept because how would you have a wank?  You'd rip your knob to pieces - not that this would stop teenagers trying, all the same, but the long-term effect would still be less wanking in the population, so they'd have more regular sex, which means a growing population, which means a strain on limited city resources, so if you apply logic to it, a magic diamond in your hand that tells you when you're 30 and have to float up into the sky and explode is an inherently illogical concept.  Michael York as Logan gets this, as he plays the character like someone who hasn't had a wank in days, except after he bangs Jenny Agutter and then he goes around with this smug shit-eating smile plastered all over his face even though he's walking through the radioactive corpse of America, but let's face it, if you had just banged Jenny Agutter, this is exactly what you'd be like for days.
It's a bit dated as well as silly, with the close-up shots of the models not doing the suspension of disbelief any favors, and there's a bit at the end where there's no sense of the scale or geography of how the city is open now, there's just some fire over this hill beside a fountain and then everyone walks over the fountain and it's the end, cutting off just before we see Peter Ustinov get so much poontang he doesn't make it 'till morning and then everyone starves to death because no-one knows how to plow a field because they've been spoilt bastards all their lives.

Logan's Run aka Shit's Shit: the tv pilot.  As dumb as the film, but piles on more daft ideas and becomes slightly more watchable by engaging with that part of the film that was sadly underdeveloped - the post-apocalyptic freakshow that America's become outside the City of Domes.  I gather the watchability diminishes the longer you watch the tv show that follows, but there's some decent ideas in this and some attempt at making the internal logic of the world work better than it did in the film, like introducing older characters who run the city in secret rather than just being publicly asploded - though the mechanics of having a wank still remain unexplained.

The Rover - recommended up the thread by others, I'll add my rec to theirs.  There's a great central performance from Guy Pearce that nails the Sisyphean torment of a dude who fails to keep those around him at a distance, and I'm not sure if the title is - in retrospect - meant to be a black pun, but it's still a great addition to the post-apocalyptic genre.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Bear McBear on 08 September, 2014, 11:19:24 PM
Logan's Run - more like Shit's Shit, am I right?
Doesn't make a lick of sense or hold together under even the passing scrutiny of a brain that willingly watched Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Buck's Duel to the Death this very morning and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I've always been freaked out by those hand-crystal things, wondering how you'd pick up and hold teacups or glasses with them jutting out like that, but if you stop to think about it a bit, it just seems like a dumb concept because how would you have a wank?  You'd rip your knob to pieces - not that this would stop teenagers trying, all the same, but the long-term effect would still be less wanking in the population, so they'd have more regular sex, which means a growing population, which means a strain on limited city resources, so if you apply logic to it, a magic diamond in your hand that tells you when you're 30 and have to float up into the sky and explode is an inherently illogical concept.  Michael York as Logan gets this, as he plays the character like someone who hasn't had a wank in days, except after he bangs Jenny Agutter and then he goes around with this smug shit-eating smile plastered all over his face even though he's walking through the radioactive corpse of America, but let's face it, if you had just banged Jenny Agutter, this is exactly what you'd be like for days.
It's a bit dated as well as silly, with the close-up shots of the models not doing the suspension of disbelief any favors, and there's a bit at the end where there's no sense of the scale or geography of how the city is open now, there's just some fire over this hill beside a fountain and then everyone walks over the fountain and it's the end, cutting off just before we see Peter Ustinov get so much poontang he doesn't make it 'till morning and then everyone starves to death because no-one knows how to plow a field because they've been spoilt bastards all their lives.

I still love watching this old sci/fi classic. Favourite scene, is when Michael York/Logan renters the city through the outlet at the beach near where he left Jenny Agutter and Peter Ustinov and tell the dome inhabitants that it's okay to live past the age of thirty. The outside is inhabitable and they should follow him back out through the water ducts to see the old man outside. Don't forget the nude scenes featuring Jenny and that she wore that didn't leave much to the imagination.

Logan's Run aka Shit's Shit: the tv pilot.  As dumb as the film, but piles on more daft ideas and becomes slightly more watchable by engaging with that part of the film that was sadly underdeveloped - the post-apocalyptic freakshow that America's become outside the City of Domes.  I gather the watchability diminishes the longer you watch the tv show that follows, but there's some decent ideas in this and some attempt at making the internal logic of the world work better than it did in the film, like introducing older characters who run the city in secret rather than just being publicly asploded - though the mechanics of having a wank still remain unexplained.

I have vague recollection of the television series made not long after the original film and perhaps a newer version made during the 90's. Not to mention a film featuring Ewan Macgregor and Scarlett Johanson called The Island where they lived underground and were invited upside if they won the lottery. Which was really where they were taken to operating theatre were their prised organ were their prised organ/limbs were removed to be donated to their above world counterparts. They were all clones...the original version of themselves. Yeah, a different story, but the parallels are obvious.

Don't forgot there was episode of Mork & Mindy (R.I.P.) where they borrowed film clips of domed interior including it's famous monorail system taken from the original Logan's Run (You were talking about!) as Mork's home world. I think the even used the same capsule-car-transport that ran on those monorails.

The Rover - recommended up the thread by others, I'll add my rec to theirs.  There's a great central performance from Guy Pearce that nails the Sisyphean torment of a dude who fails to keep those around him at a distance, and I'm not sure if the title is - in retrospect - meant to be a black pun, but it's still a great addition to the post-apocalyptic genre.

I would to see this now.....and about the name Rover....

I not sure about your interpretation, but if your familiar with Baiden Powell and Cubs/Scouts. Rovers were always one rung above Scouts in Australia.

Not sure If I can say the same for their counterpart in the U.K..

I'm sure they have something similar.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 August, 2014, 08:01:31 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 23 August, 2014, 03:58:02 PM
Just watched Dinosaur 13 (2014), a documentary movie about the 1990 discovery of "Sue" - the largest and most complete T-Rex fossil ever –

Read and own an enjoyable book about all this. Rex Appeal (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rex-Appeal-Amazing-Dinosaur-Changed/dp/1931229384/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408819856&sr=8-1&keywords=rex+appeal) indeed an astonishing story.

Only just heard of the film, must catch it at some point, glad to hear its worth seeing.

I saw Dinosaur 13 last night. It was very good - fascinating, touching, and totally outrageous! I was left with such a sense of how completely broken the US Justice system is.  I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so won't bang on about it, but if you love palaeontology and conspiracies, you'll probably get a lot out of this.

Ghastly McNasty

Edge of Tomorrow

Really good. Can't breath. Guns. Too excited. Aliens. War. Time-shit. Sci-fi-gasm. Unnnnn. Spent.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 14 September, 2014, 11:34:52 AM
Edge of Tomorrow
Really good. Can't breath. Guns. Too excited. Aliens. War. Time-shit. Sci-fi-gasm. Unnnnn. Spent.

Is that something you really want to broadcast on a public [sort of] forum? Outrageous! :lol: I'll wait till download comes along.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

shaolin_monkey

Edge of Tomorrow

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by it too.

CheechFU

amines2058

Edge of Tomorrow

Watched on Saturday and also enjoyed immensely, a proper tidy sci-fi action film.
Maybe did not enjoy to the extent you did though.  ;)

Keef Monkey

Machete 2 (or whatever it's called). I didn't think the first Machete came close to capturing the fun of Grindhouse, and this one even less so unfortunately. I think the biggest problem is the effects - cheap-looking physical effects are charming and nostalgic, cheap-looking CG is the opposite so the film's schtick just doesn't work at all. Shame.

Couple of good laughs mind you.

Hawkmumbler

Dressed To Kill (Brian De Palma, 1980)

La Bete (Walerian Borowczyk, 1975)

Gremlins (Joe Dante, 1984)

Demoni (Lamberto Bava, 1985)

Demoni 2 (Lamberto Bava, 1986)