Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 September, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2019, 03:12:41 PMWho exactly was Moore talking to in the Northampton Arts Lab?

A Netflix series, Wormwood, covers this story from the point of view from Olson's family.

The Olson tale first got into the mainstream via the original source book for these stories Operation Mind Control (1978) by Walter Bowart. Another referred to in the book was the story of Candy Jones who cliamed to be a victim of the same programme – David Fincher was trying to get it made into a film at one point.

I haven't read Operation Mind Control, but the Olson's family's 1975 meeting with Gerald Ford appears to have sold them on the new cover story, that his death was an acid freak-out. It was their meeting with Gottlieb in 1984 that raised suspicions and the autopsy in the nineties revealed the head trauma and lack of toxins.

Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2019, 03:12:41 PM
How A Deadly Fall Revealed The CIA's Deadliest Secrets ... Wormwood covers this story from the point of view from Olson's family

The CIA made me do that.

Rackle

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 July, 2019, 10:39:36 PM
Not prog related, but...
"Open sesame". Open, says-a-me.
Never got that. Not until tonight when it was made obvious by an eleven year old actor in a school performance of 'Ali Baba and the Bongo Bandits'. I feel like an idiot.

SBT

Well I just learnt something today. Guess I am a little bit less of an idiot now.  :)

Frank

As pointed out by Jim Craig of the Megaverse group, Ezquerra's unusual boot holster design found favour with at least one fan:

1976      1983

Art from Bank Raid, Wagner & Ezquerra's first, unpublished Dredd strip. Image taken from the 1981 Judge Dredd Annual, which printed the story with all the spicy dialogue about Dredd being an executioner excised.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 20 September, 2019, 10:02:12 PM

As pointed out by Jim Craig of the Megaverse group, Ezquerra's unusual boot holster design found favour with at least one fan:

1976      1983

Art from Bank Raid, Wagner & Ezquerra's first, unpublished Dredd strip. Image taken from the 1981 Judge Dredd Annual, which printed the story with all the spicy dialogue about Dredd being an executioner excised.

Boot holsters are a bit silly when you're standing up, but make sense when you're on a bike.  Or speeder bike.

JayzusB.Christ

It's only a week ago, but what went over my head (but was later mentioned in the prog thread) was that it was Dredd's helmet sitting on the [spoiler]dying Hershey's bed, not her own.[/spoiler]

Made the scene all the more poignant for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

I only just learned that 'Hocus Pocus' is most likely a 17th C mockery of 'Hoc est corpus meum': the 'magic words' of transubstantiation in the latin Mass.  Surely Uncle Pat has used that factoid somewhere...?

In other considerably more embarrassing news, my wife recently and rather sternly informed me that the phrase "hooking up" exclusively refers to the sex act.  I was under the impression it had the more general meaning of meeting up, or casually getting together socially.  So when I've (frequently) told folks I'll try to hook up with them later, I may have been terrifying them.  Especially when I was trying to get out of going drinking with junior colleagues... 

...your Honour.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2019, 01:05:15 PM
I only just learned that 'Hocus Pocus' is most likely a 17th C mockery of 'Hoc est corpus meum': the 'magic words' of transubstantiation in the latin Mass.  Surely Uncle Pat has used that factoid somewhere...?

In other considerably more embarrassing news, my wife recently and rather sternly informed me that the phrase "hooking up" exclusively refers to the sex act.  I was under the impression it had the more general meaning of meeting up, or casually getting together socially.  So when I've (frequently) told folks I'll try to hook up with them later, I may have been terrifying them.  Especially when I was trying to get out of going drinking with junior colleagues... 

...your Honour.

The first one: Wow! I honestly never knew that.  I had aspirations to be a magician as a kid, and learned lots of good tricks, and really wish I hadn't let (in hindsight, jealous) friends put a stop to it.

The second one: Nahhh, I'm not having that. I've heard it used in purely social contexts loads of times. Either that or some of my best male friends want to shag me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 September, 2019, 01:43:16 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2019, 01:05:15 PM

...your Honour.

The first one: Wow! I honestly never knew that.  I had aspirations to be a magician as a kid, and learned lots of good tricks, and really wish I hadn't let (in hindsight, jealous) friends put a stop to it.

The second one: Nahhh, I'm not having that. I've heard it used in purely social contexts loads of times. Either that or some of my best male friends want to shag me.

The US-centric English-speaking internet suggests it means either 'having sex' or anything along those lines but having sex.  One study found three cohorts, the second of which had a completly non-sexual social definition.  Though the Merrion Webster page links to the definition of 'hooker', so you probably don't want to use the phrase around junior colleagues.  Or senior colleagues, for that matter.

sheridan

Wiktionary has a more balanced definition (unless it's suggesting Madonna had sex with a French music producer).

TordelBack

I'm very glad that Jayzus, as my Dublin/Kildare contemporary, has heard it in the sense I always intended, but as Sheridan's research suggests, and my missus avers, the younger native-netizen crowd may be hearing something totally different. So as I often find myself in the role of managing a lot of youngsters (anyone under 30, obv) I'm going to be trying to avoid this one.

JOE SOAP

I doubt all those kids in 80s US sitcoms 'hooking-up' meant they were indulging in horizontal refreshment.

"Hooking up" was a term known in the year 2000 to almost every American child over the age of nine, but to only a relatively small percentage of their parents, who, even if they heard it, thought it was being used in the old sense of "meeting" someone. Among the children, hooking up was always a sexual experience, but the nature and extent of what they did could vary widely. Back in the twentieth century, American girls had used baseball terminology. "First base" referred to embracing and kissing; "second base" referred to groping and fondling and deep, or "French," kissing, commonly known as "heavy petting"; "third base" referred to fellatio, usually known in polite conversation by the ambiguous term "oral sex"; and "home plate" meant conception-mode intercourse, known familiarly as "going all the way." In the year 2000, in the era of hooking up, "first base" meant deep kissing ("tonsil hockey"), groping, and fondling; "second base" meant oral sex; "third base" meant going all the way; and "home plate" meant learning each other's names. – Tom Wolfe, Hooking Up: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the Second Millennium: An American's World

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/first/w/wolfe-hooking.html

Tjm86

Re-reading this I'm minded of the B5 episode in which Ivanova has to have 'sex' with an alien ambassador to seal a treaty.  Having conned him royally, the puzzled shrug she gives in response to his "well what happens now" question was superb.

"Old style, you roll over and go to bed. New style, you go out for pizza, I never see you again."

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
I'm very glad that Jayzus, as my Dublin/Kildare contemporary, has heard it in the sense I always intended, but as Sheridan's research suggests, and my missus avers, the younger native-netizen crowd may be hearing something totally different. So as I often find myself in the role of managing a lot of youngsters (anyone under 30, obv) I'm going to be trying to avoid this one.

I think I'll join you in not using that one again.  My students, who struggle at the best of times with phrasal verbs such as this one, will not be introduced to it.

They'll just have to jolly well work it out for themselves.

Funt Solo

Phrases I'm uncomfortable using as a teacher but only discovered that by saying them (from nurture) and then backtracking quickly (from nature):

- Rule of thumb - despite it's probably innocent etymology there's a commonly held belief that it has something to do with legal wife beating. I use heuristic, instead, to avoid confusion. Although I have to define it. Without saying anything about thumbs.

- What did your last slave die of? - something my mum used to say to me, that I absolutely mustn't say here in the US, where slavery is rather a contentious issue, given that some people still think it was rather a good idea.

- Off the reservation - a phrase that means "out of control", or "outside the normal bounds" but is rooted rather directly in the forced relocation of indigenous Americans. My in-laws live "on the res": so reservations still exist, and to describe leaving said area as a negative, well...it's just not okay.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++