Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Jeepers dirk/sauchie, cool solo dialogue thing you've got going there.  :lol:
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Theblazeuk

That went over my head, I assumed it was a mythology thing but then it's a cat and not a fox so you're probably on the money.

Frank

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 June, 2014, 10:29:10 AM
That went over my head, I assumed it was a mythology thing but then it's a cat and not a fox so you're probably on the money

No, I think you're probably right. Can you believe I never thought to google the word Kitsune?

Dash Decent

It only clicked this morning that the "four cred freezy whip" thread is named after an early moment in Block Mania.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

It's only occurred to me now that 'dogchips' that G.I.s' personalities were stored on were so-called because real G.I.s' identities were engraved on dogtags.  Christ, I'm thick.
Lucky they changed the name to biochips.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

8-Ball

It wasn't until a recent purchase of The Art Of Kenny Who that it dawned on me that Scotland would have been bombed back into the stone age (becoming Cal Hab) due the fact that we have nukes at Faslane and therefore we would be a first strike target by the Sovs.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Fungus

Quote from: 8-Ball on 26 June, 2014, 11:05:20 PM
due the fact that we have nukes at Faslane

Not after 2014... food for thought.

glassstanley

The planet Zed in Strontium Dog's 'The Killing' is so-called because the planet's real name is the unpronounceable ZDWHKKRSWRLD.

The planet-namers could just as easily have reinstated the missing vowels to give Whicker's World.

Hawkmumbler

Frank

Guia para iniciantes que se interessam em ler o Juiz Dredd, feito pelo 2000 AD Brasil para o Grupo HQs S/A. Vale lembrar que a Juiz Dredd Megazine pode ser lida fora da ordem, a qualquer momento, por isso foi posicionada no final.

No Day The Law Died, and the Death Fist stories come before Blockmania?  ¡Ay, caramba!

Bubba Zebill

Maybe this is the most obvious thing in the world (it certainly seems to be now) but it went right over my head until last night.

The Judge Dredd story 'Father Earth' printed in 1979 was obviously a dig at flower-power hippies and cultists but I don't think I ever knew how closely it was based on a real group.

Father Earth is almost identical to 'Father Yod' of the Source Family. Not only that but the Dredd story perfectly captures Yod's contradictions, messianic behaviour, increasing insanity, anti-science, apocalypticism and criminal origins.

In addition something happens in the Father Earth story that I thought ludicrously funny when I first read it. I won't spoil either the Dredd story or the documentary but there is a similarly ludicrous event in the history of Father Yod. Again, I found myself laughing.

Also, they move to new territory and are hounded by local police...anyway, several comparisons can be made.

It also gives me a new appreciation for the kind of writing (for impressionable young minds) that tears apart this kind of 'cultist' nonsense...and kicks dust in its face.

Check it out, this documentary is available on Netflix and it's (IMHO) mind blowing. Enjoy!
Trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3f4aleOAxo
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Steve Green

I did wonder if this dated back to Garth Ennis' run, and Murphyville being turned into a theme park.

But it seems to be a more recent thing.

http://www.taytocrisps.ie/park/

"Spudgun to chips"

TordelBack

Don't knock Tayto Park, it's surprisingly good fun - and in the process of expanding (much like its client base).  However, despite the most elevated expectations, you will still be shocked by the quantity of crisps you will consume/acquire during your visit.  Some stereotypes are just oft-repeated facts.

Good catch on Yod there, Bubba - never knew that.

Frank

Me neither. Douglas Wolk points out the frequent mentions of Lobsang Rampa in the work of Wagner and Grant too, suggesting that obscure, semi-comic, mystical figures occupied a significant place in their imaginative lives. Grant says Wagner went through a phase where he wore a kaftan - maybe they had the same flirtation with alternative lifestyles and quackery as the rest of the ME generation.