Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 May, 2015, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 16 March, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Here's one that's still going over my head. Not because of a double-meaning, but because it's only ever been printed and not said out loud. Did the Sovs have Strato-'vees' or Strato-'fives'?

Necroposting somewhat...

I always assumed that the name was a reference to the guitars the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Flying V so it's always been 'Strato Vee' for me..

I've always thought they were 'Stratospheric Vehicles', so Strato Vee for me too.

JayzusB.Christ

I thought it was because they were shaped like the letter 'V', no?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Yes, I thought 'V' because of the shape.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JamesC

Quote from: A.Cow on 12 April, 2015, 06:50:20 AM
Was just re-reading Portrait of a Mutant, which features the Kreelers' symbol prominently -- vertical box with an X through.  However, I realised that I don't actually know what the vertical box is supposed to represent.  Presumably mutation but how?

No thermometers?
No hotdogs?
No Nintendo Wiis?

Please could someone put me out of my misery?

A mutant chromosome?

johnnystress

An upright "no junk mail" sticker ?  :)

Maybe a "no ballot box" symbol?

JayzusB.Christ

There was a gay jibe by some actress against some actor during Strontium Dog:  Rage. I had no idea at the time.  But then again, I never even copped that when some London thugs accused Clinton of being Swifty's 'lover boy' that they were accusing him of being gay; mainly because I had never heard of 'gay' at the time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Also, speaking of gay jibes, I just noticed that Garth Ennis's first ever line of Dredd dialogue was 'Control, you got a stiff in Julian Clary Alley.'

Garth Ennis then completely abandoned the concept of joking about anal sex, of course, and certainly did not bang on and on ad nauseum about it in Preacher.

Dandontdare

So I popped into Waterstones yesterday and it was bedlam - half the shop cordoned off with big screens so you couldn't see what was happening, lots of large security men and a massive queue of giddy (mainly teenage) girls stretching out of the shop and half way round the shopping centre. I asked one of the staff who was the cause of such excitement and discovered it was none other than ... Joey Graceffa!!!!

Nope, me neither.

Apparently he's a YouTube vlogger with something like 600 million viewers - the most famous dude you've never heard of.

Hawkmumbler

I know (of) him. He's a nice enough fellow, but not in my sphere of interest.

A.Cow

Was just re-reading the Chopper Midnight Surfer story and realised that the billycord that keeps surfers attached to their board must originate from "umbilical cord".  D'Oh!  How can I have missed that all these years?

JayzusB.Christ

I was only re-reading that the other day.  You're probably right - do actual surfboards have billycords too? It sounds like an Ozification of 'umbilical' anyway

Dash Decent

Yeah, you can get leg ropes for surfboards.  It stops the board from being washed away from you if you fall off, saving you a potentially long swim trying to retrieve it.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SuperSurfer

A real dumbo one. Was reading Hachette Mandroid today and I don't think I ever realised an iso-cube is an isolation cube.

They should do a facepalm emoji.

Spaceghost

Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but I've just been re-reading the very excellent Trifecta and I've only just noticed that the three villains involved in the Godcity conspiracy are called Bachmann, Turner and Overdrive.

Let's Rock!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dan Banks

Quote from: Spaceghost on 02 July, 2015, 08:57:22 AM
Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but I've just been re-reading the very excellent Trifecta and I've only just noticed that the three villains involved in the Godcity conspiracy are called Bachmann, Turner and Overdrive.

Let's Rock!

You've just blown my mind!