Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Thanks Tordelback so everyone was right, and the real Barbara Hershey is a nutter. Glad that is all cleared up!

Big_Dave

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 March, 2016, 05:58:24 PM
Originally the confectioners, but if I remember correctly the 'Barbara' first name came from a readers' poll in the Meg.

runner up was judgey mcjudgeface  http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/20/boaty-mcboatface-leads-online-poll-for-name-of-new-research-ship-5763140/

I, Cosh

Was out with a friend last night and learned something I'd been oblivious to.

Him: "Oh, I see Garry Shandling's died. Bummer."
Me: "Who's that?"
Him: "Garry Shandling. American comedian?"
Me: "Oh. Never heard of him."
Him: "The Larry Sanders Show?"
Me: "Eh? I vaguely remember that being on but I always assumed it was one of those shitey American chatshows they used to fill up empty bits of the schedules with."
Him: "..."
We never really die.

Steve Green

It was treated pretty horribly by whatever maniac was scheduling BBC 2 programmes though...

ming

Huck Widney - who he?

I've wondered about who the hell Huck Widney was since Chopper tagged his block in UnAmerican Graffiti back in 1981.  Any clues?

Steve Green

Heh, was reading the same thread I think.

No idea.

ming

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 May, 2016, 06:14:40 PM
Heh, was reading the same thread I think.

Probably!  Whenever I look at that page I always wonder about Huck Widney...  Why couldn't it have been Rita Tushingham Block or Ernest Borgnine or someone?  Bah!

:lol:

M.I.K.

If Huck Widney's not a real person, it could be a Scottish dialect pun in-joke thing.

Frank

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 May, 2016, 02:03:51 PM
If Huck Widney's not a real person, it could be a Scottish dialect pun in-joke thing.

I was thinking the same thing. To explain: in idiomatic lowland Scots, would not becomes widnae (wid-nay), just as cannot gives way to cannae (can-nay), and will not transforms into willnae (can-nay). An old Scottish joke relies on the same speech pattern:

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney? Bings sings but Walt Disney

I can't think of any similar joke that has the punchline Huck widnae, though.

ming

Quote from: Butch on 28 May, 2016, 04:31:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. To explain: in idiomatic lowland Scots, would not becomes widnae (wid-nay), just as cannot gives way to cannae (can-nay), and will not transforms into willnae (can-nay). An old Scottish joke relies on the same speech pattern:

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney? Bings sings but Walt Disney

Tom Sawyer wanted to swim in the Mississippi but Huck Widney /widnae...?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: ming on 28 May, 2016, 07:22:05 PM
Quote from: Butch on 28 May, 2016, 04:31:25 PM

Tom Sawyer wanted to swim in the Mississippi but Huck Widney /widnae...?

There's the Billy Connelly classic about the Weegie in the phone box who gets redirected to the operator:

"Here daft lad, the fanes nae workin'! I'm tryin tae ring ma burd!"

"Is there money in the box?"

"No its jist meself!"
You may quote me on that.

Spikes

Mike Carroll

I reckon it's "money" = "many"

-- Mike

Spikes

JayzusB.Christ

Just rereading some early Day of Chaos episodes, before the shit hit the fan.  Lovely bit of Wagner irony here when you know what's coming...

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"