Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 01 May, 2017, 09:15:17 AM
Quote from: positronic on 01 May, 2017, 06:53:36 AM

At any rate, he doesn't get much on-panel time in Judgment Day, but perhaps you're thinking of OZ.

If I was thinking of OZ, I'd mention OZ.

Well, I meant specifically relative to Judge Bruce being an homage to Lenny Bruce. I read Judgment Day, but given Judge Bruce's not-large speaking role in that, even after you point it out, I'm still having a hard time recognizing the homage to Lenny Bruce.

I thought you meant that the homage/parody (other than just the name) was evident in terms of character dialogue, since the Judge uniform would obscure any physical resemblance of Judge Bruce to Lenny Bruce, especially in Judgment Day where he's mostly seen towards the end of the story in that Samurai Ground Attack Armor, so I assumed the homage was more recognizable through characterization in his earlier appearances. Or maybe there was just some bit of Judge Bruce's dialogue in that which escaped me.

Tony Angelino

I don't think the 'homage' goes past the name. I couldn't tell there being any other similarity between Judge Bruce and Lenny Bruce.

The name Bruce is associated to Australia, which is probably how the original writers gave the character that name, but even then its more as a forename.

positronic

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 01 May, 2017, 12:36:48 PM
I don't think the 'homage' goes past the name. I couldn't tell there being any other similarity between Judge Bruce and Lenny Bruce.

The name Bruce is associated to Australia, which is probably how the original writers gave the character that name, but even then its more as a forename.

Okay, I've just paged through Judgment Day now, and I see the reference JudgeJudi is referring to -- it's on page 99 of the print collection, where Judge Charlie Joyce calls Judge Bruce "Lenny". I wasn't getting what she was saying at first, because if it was just the name, then didn't Judge Bruce already exist before Judgment Day? -- But I gather then that Judgment Day is where Judge Bruce -- who was not originally created to be an homage/parody to American comedian Lenny Bruce -- became an homage to Lenny Bruce, when Garth Ennis supplied Judge Bruce with a first name, which he'd never had before that. Pardon my confusion, JudgeJudi.

Eric Plumrose

Haven't read 'Judgement Day' and it's been an age since I flicked through 'Oz' but doesn't giving Judge Bruce a 'first' name kind of miss the point? In that 'Bruce' is his first name? What with the Oz Judges being far more laid-back, they're all referred to by their givens!

Or is that something that should have gone over my head?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Robin Low

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 30 April, 2017, 08:59:51 PM
How did I miss first time around reading Judgement Day:

Judge Bruce is Lenny Bruce...

That Sabbat is a parody of the Dennis the Menace character Soppy Walter and even worse I missed that Dennis turns up himself!

But an Aussie version of Lenny Bruce? I can see where I'd miss that; I'd just assumed it was perhaps a common surname in Australia. At any rate, he doesn't get much on-panel time in Judgment Day, but perhaps you're thinking of OZ.

This may be a case of something going over Garth Ennis' head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVX3uJpqxc

...or more likely he just didn't care.

Regards,

Robin

positronic

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 01 May, 2017, 04:40:04 PM
Haven't read 'Judgement Day' and it's been an age since I flicked through 'Oz' but doesn't giving Judge Bruce a 'first' name kind of miss the point? In that 'Bruce' is his first name? What with the Oz Judges being far more laid-back, they're all referred to by their givens!

Or is that something that should have gone over my head?

It seems there should be some consistency, but what are the other Oz Judges' names?

Let's not forget that this has been a point of confusion ever since Judge Rico (who technically, should also have been Judge Dredd).

positronic

Quote from: Robin Low on 01 May, 2017, 05:15:21 PM
Quote from: JudgeJudi on 30 April, 2017, 08:59:51 PM
How did I miss first time around reading Judgement Day:

Judge Bruce is Lenny Bruce...

That Sabbat is a parody of the Dennis the Menace character Soppy Walter and even worse I missed that Dennis turns up himself!

But an Aussie version of Lenny Bruce? I can see where I'd miss that; I'd just assumed it was perhaps a common surname in Australia. At any rate, he doesn't get much on-panel time in Judgment Day, but perhaps you're thinking of OZ.

This may be a case of something going over Garth Ennis' head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVX3uJpqxc

...or more likely he just didn't care.

Regards,

Robin

It's likely something much more obvious when reading Oz or Chopper than Judgment Day, where Bruce is out of his element. (Hard to be laid-back about voting to nuke those other five Mega-Cities, too...)

But yes, Monty Python. Garth Ennis really should have known that, unless he's much younger than I think he is... but maybe we can use the excuse that Lenny is his last name. Judge Bruce Lenny. "Lenny" is a single word in a dialogue balloon uttered by Judge Joyce of Murphytown. (Personally I'd have voted for his first and last name being the same -- Judge Bruce Bruce.)

A.Cow

Quote from: positronic on 01 May, 2017, 09:40:27 PM
Let's not forget that this has been a point of confusion ever since Judge Rico (who technically, should also have been Judge Dredd).

I've always presumed that Judge names work the same way as South American footballers: some use surnames, some use nicknames, and a few use first names.

TordelBack

We've also seen this issue explored: when Rico II shows up in MC2 he too is a Cadet Dredd, but elects to take 'Rico' to avoid confusion (and give his clone-uncle another shake). Presumably a similar decision was made before: two identical Judge Dredds is asking for trouble.

The Legendary Shark

There must be more than one Judge Smith or Judge Jones - I always wondered how Justice Department dealt with that. Maybe they get a number as well, like the Welsh soldiers in Zulu (eg., 347 Jones), or maybe they use first or nicknames as already suggested. My favourite idea is that their badges contain some kind of bluetooth identifying transmitter thingummies.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Woolly

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2017, 06:25:15 AM
My favourite idea is that their badges contain some kind of bluetooth identifying transmitter thingummies.

Don't the badges also contain a small explosive charge, or did I dream that?

Steve Green

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2017, 06:25:15 AM
There must be more than one Judge Smith or Judge Jones - I always wondered how Justice Department dealt with that. Maybe they get a number as well, like the Welsh soldiers in Zulu (eg., 347 Jones), or maybe they use first or nicknames as already suggested. My favourite idea is that their badges contain some kind of bluetooth identifying transmitter thingummies.

First names possibly? Frank can't be the only Judge to have his forename on his badge.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe first name then initials, SMITH, JF.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

I think you'll find Judge Frank's first name is Dirty.