Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: positronic on 31 May, 2017, 06:08:30 AM

I had to look up "midden"... (a dunghill or refuse heap).

I have a Scottish friend from Aberdeen that used to call me a Midden, I thought it was a term of endearment... the cheeky mare.

A.Cow

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2017, 09:55:58 AM
Her name is therefore a misinterpretation; it should be 'Red Durham'.

... if her cultural heritage is one that puts the family name second.  (Much of south-east Asia puts the family name first.)

Link Prime

Quote from: A.Cow on 31 May, 2017, 04:58:39 PM

... if her cultural heritage is one that puts the family name second.  (Much of south-east Asia puts the family name first.)

Sure, but not in this case- I'm pretty certain it was explicitly stated that Durham is her (married) surname.
And her 'real' first name is Lucy. *

* According to Ho-Gan.

TordelBack

Lucy Durham: dosn't she present shows on Edwardian kitchenware?. Good job this is the work of a notorious fantasist.

glassstanley

Death Aid Part One:

"Control, this is Dredd. You got a stiff in Julian Clary Alley."

On an equally dubious note, I've finally tracked down the Bisley graffiti that David Bushop mentions having to censor in the Future Shock documentary.He's mis-remembering the actual graffiti. It's '<scratched out> bandit' rather than 'Gaylord'. It's in Meg vol 2 #62 if you want to find the name of the celeb...

JayzusB.Christ

I remember a Judge Gaylord in another Ennis Dredd. The young Garth was, it seems, obsessed with gay.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jacqusie on 31 May, 2017, 02:26:33 PM

I have a Scottish friend from Aberdeen that used to call me a Midden, I thought it was a term of endearment... the cheeky mare.
It's a little hard to explain, but something like "ya wee midden" could be used affectionately or as an insult.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 May, 2017, 09:32:49 PM
Lucy Durham: dosn't she present shows on Edwardian kitchenware?

We could start a campaign to get Beeny's forename changed to Sarah.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2017, 08:31:43 PM

Sure, but not in this case- I'm pretty certain it was explicitly stated that Durham is her (married) surname.

* According to Ho-Gan.

She's also from somewhere near Milton Keynes (she moves there after her parents die when she's 10) rather than from Durham, too - and that's in Island of the Damned by Alan Grant.

I'm saying she's originally from Oxford.  I don't think she'd 'ave a Durh'm accent wi'oot it toornin' up in 'er dialogue, pet...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Jacqusie

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 June, 2017, 03:38:04 AM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 31 May, 2017, 02:26:33 PM

It's a little hard to explain, but something like "ya wee midden" could be used affectionately or as an insult.

Aha, that's was she used to call me "ya wee Midden" - I did probably talk a load of dung in those days though.

Middenface has lumps on his head and some artists flattered his face more than others I suppose, Simon Harrisons Middenface looked a bit dungy at times!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 02 June, 2017, 01:38:53 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2017, 08:31:43 PM

* According to Ho-Gan.

She's also from somewhere near Milton Keynes (she moves there after her parents die when she's 10) rather than from Durham, too - and that's in Island of the Damned by Alan Grant.

I'm saying she's originally from Oxford.  I don't think she'd 'ave a Durh'm accent wi'oot it toornin' up in 'er dialogue, pet...

She has a Durham accent in the SD film, i was pleased to note.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JUDGE ALFISH

I'm nearly 50 and only now thanks to the Forum do I get "Rogers & Hammerstein". Perhaps that's what happens when you grow up listening to The Clash and Joy Division...or I'm just a lot dimmer than I realize.

Tony Angelino

Quote from: JUDGE ALFISH on 04 June, 2017, 08:44:54 PM
I'm nearly 50 and only now thanks to the Forum do I get "Rogers & Hammerstein". Perhaps that's what happens when you grow up listening to The Clash and Joy Division...or I'm just a lot dimmer than I realize.

I think those are the best pun names in the history of the Prog. Really clever. I figured that one out very early on and I think it may have been down to seeing The Sound of Music on TV when I was quite young. The name Hammerstein in particular just stuck with me.

positronic

Quote from: JUDGE ALFISH on 04 June, 2017, 08:44:54 PM

"Rogers" = "RO-Jaws" is a bit stretchy, even for a pun. Especially since to be technically accurate it's "RoDgers & Hammerstein"... which sounds even less alike. Although now that you mention it, now their song-and-dance duet on the stage at Greasy Gracie's does make make more sense in context.

Magnetica

Hmmm really? I don't think it is that much of a stretch...especially for a pun(???).