Main Menu

First single or album bought

Started by 8-Ball, 27 April, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Not the first single I bought, but more a memorable incident.

As a young teenager I went into Woolworths seeking a copy of Bryan Adams' 'Run to You' (don't worry, I have seen the error if my ways since). When I approached the counter the attractive young woman explained they were out of stock.

I asked politely when new stock was expected, and at that moment the screws on both sides of my glasses gave, and the lenses simultaneously fell out, landing on the counter in front of this pleasant young lady.

Keeping a perfectly expressionless face, she explained they would be in next Wednesday. I thanked her, picked up my lenses and walked out of the shop.

This kind of shit happens to me ALL THE TIME.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 August, 2014, 11:52:49 AM
This kind of shit happens to me ALL THE TIME.

You're the Larry David of Jimps, Shaolin!  :lol:

PsychoGoatee

ZZ Top - Recycler, on cassette. The first CD I bought was either Dr. Feelgood or Ride The Lightning, or maybe it was both at the same time.

Rog69

The first single I bought was a kind of highly condensed audiobook of Star Wars that filled both sides of a seven inch vinyl. The first music single I bought was walking on the moon by the Police, I got it with a 50p record token that I got from mailing in tango ring pulls (most of which I found in the street).

There was a pretty big gap then until my first album, I think it may well have been by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rog69 on 27 October, 2014, 11:56:10 PM
The first single I bought was a kind of highly condensed audiobook of Star Wars that filled both sides of a seven inch vinyl.

We had, what in my mind was an LP of Star Wars, which in my head (and possibly therefore not reality) was the edited soundtrack. Anyway it had a scratch on it toward the end and I find it hard, even to this days, when watching the film not to have

"...guess that's what your best at isn't it SCRRCH ...guess that's what your best at isn't it SCRRCH... guess that's what your best at isn't it SCRRCH... guess that's what your best at isn't it SCRRCH... guess that's what your best at isn't it SCRRCH..."

repeating through my head.

Misanthrope

The first single I bought was Toast by The Street Band. First album was So by Peter Gabriel.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

AlexF

First single: Do the Bartman, on cassette.
First album: I think I made a simultaneous pirchase of Now 23 and a Genesis live album (the not-cool Phil Collins iteration, rather than the slightly less not-cool Peter Gabriel iteration). I'm somewhat surprised to find that I can't remember which was the first album proper that I bought for myself. Normally I'm an obsessive about those sorts of details. I copied Jacko's Dangerous off a friend - does that count? I liked that album a lot more than it deserved.

For anecdote's sake, I went on to buy Now 24 a year later at the same time as I finally completed my 2000AD collection (then up to the giddy heights of Prog 900!); the songs on that tape inevitably remind me of my first Slog, reading through progs 1-300 - especially, for some reason, Is it like Today? by World Party and Exterminate by Snap!.

Devons Daddy

forgive me for this sin board.

first single was JANUARY by Pilot.
my son (19 years old) has never bought a record, this thread shows our age
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Hawkmumbler

First Single: 10th Man Down by Nightwish

First Album: Somewhere Back in Time by Iron Maiden*

*A compilation album, yes, I know flail me I was 13!

Citi-Def_Joe

First album Def Leppard's Hysteria on cassette, I was 10

arf1982

Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction on cassette, played it to death when i was 12/13 i'm now in my 30's and i'm still not tired of it! still one of the best albums ever, can't fault it

richerthanyou

First single would be Limp Bizkit - Take A Look Around, also known as the Mission Impossible theme. On cassette no less.

The second was Original Prankster by The Offspring. Also on cassette.

Of course those were the days when I could get away with wearing an over-sized Green Day hoodie and jeans that would sweep the floor, along with the obligatory wallet on a chain.... Oh what it was like to be cool...

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Gus W

First Single: Black Sabbath "Die Young", on vinyl.

First Album: Motorhead "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" also on vinyl.

Both have been replaced over the years digitally, but I think I probably still have those vinyl records in the roof somewhere, but alas no means to play them.

ThryllSeekyr

It seems like I travelled back in time to nearly every one of your personal past experiences & removed your licence to be cool & added to my own before I returned back to the present.

BTW, I loved listening to Bryan Adams music back in the late 80's when he sang that Run to You song & what was the name of the whole album that came with it?

I think brought eh cassette taper for my older brother or he did, but I brought the stuff from the nineties. Forget the name of the album & song, but recall how they referred to themselves, what ever band he had with him as ......Dudes of Leisure.....

As for the very first single I ever brought with my own money. I don't think there were any of those. I did own  a single by Neil Diamond called Heart-light (How embarrassing I feel now!). Not sure what he's doing now, but I recall he was in some film with Jack Black, some guy called Zack & that fellow from American Pie. He had comeback in the mid 90's I know. I recall finding a night club inside the arcade of shopping mall on the Gold Coast that was more of a pub called The Rose & Crown singing one of his old hits. I was just passing through, but felt overwhelmed by this communal spirit shared by all occupants.

I did buy myself a few records, & a lot cassettes tapes. Used to buy a lot movie sounds tracks, like Ghostbusters, Gremlins, High-Lander Two which I found a few years about the release of the film in this country. Which seems like a really odd thing & the only reason I own it, was out of curiosity for a film I hadn't seen yet.

I do remember buying the original Hitch-Hikers Guide To the Galaxy radio series with the very last twenty dollars of pocket money I had been given by my mother . I think it was holiday money & it felt like huge purchase for me at that time. Being as it was found at the only ABC Shop in the Winter-Garden centre on the Queens street mall.

Since then, one of the two large vinyl disc included went missing while I was sharing that house near the city with some old school friends at the time. Not sure who to blame for that, but I had also managed to replace it with another from Ebay. Just had a look at it now, it's in near mint condition...yet. I have never bothered playing it yet. I may do that pretty soon, when & if I set up the record player. I never got one that was built into the stereo system I brought when I first moved here. 

That thing is kind of back ward to operate & the disco-lights only light up in green, blue, or red, & sometimes one of each, but it stays that way and doesn't alternate or even flash the colours I've chosen while I play music on it. 

Taryn Tailz

The Darkness - Permission to Land. Bought in 2003, aged 12.