Main Menu

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: THE TEMPEST

Started by JOE SOAP, 20 July, 2017, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

After half a dozen or so othe publishers, the deluxe hardback was published by DC over 4 years ago - would DC have such a hold - if any - over new stories?

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 July, 2017, 04:29:50 PM
After half a dozen or so othe publishers, the deluxe hardback was published by DC over 4 years ago - would DC have such a hold - if any - over new stories?

I suppose it depends how recently Rogue 69 heard/read Mills say DC were blocking his cock. *

At least not having another project to rush onto would allow O'Neill to fill Tempest with the inspired design work and gorgeous double page spreads we saw in the last two books, after the deliberately loose style of Century's latter half.

* If Mills & O'Neill agreed not to take Marshal Law elsewhere for a wee while, there isn't much incentive for DC to let it go early. Nobody wants to risk seeing others make a go of something you thought was worthless. Same reason you hear of studios buying or holding onto screenplays they have no intention of making.

rogue69

Pat has mentioned this several times recently over the past few months in talks & interviews. He keeps saying that they still want to do more Marshal Law but never have the time

JOE SOAP

If Marshal Law is off the books for new stories, what about Kevin O'Neill's lost work, John Pain.

It's a similar vibe to Marshal Law – with a bit of LOEG fancifulness – and with a few nudges could easily be imagined as another corner of the same universe.

Only 2 episodes were published in separate anthologies by BlackBall comics.

A special was advertised and intended to complete a storyline but BlackBall comics collapsed before it appeared.

If Kevin O'Neill finished those episodes, and they still exist, Rebellion are a possible venue for publication. I estimate it would amount to about 50 pages of story.

JamesC

Never heard of John Pain but it looks awesome!

Link Prime

In a strange yet wonderful parallel dimension, O'Neill produced a memorable run on Ghost Rider.

Apestrife

I'm thinking that DC:s recent push for positivity (Rebirth watchmen stuff, comments regarding their films, DKMR and so on) Marshal Law vs Batman seems a bit hard to get off the ground.

Hopefully with the upcoming push (DC uttered such at comic con) for DC OGN, perhaps Mills could get DC and O'Neill onboard.

sheridan

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 July, 2017, 10:42:55 AM
I'm thinking that DC:s recent push for positivity (Rebirth watchmen stuff, comments regarding their films, DKMR and so on) Marshal Law vs Batman seems a bit hard to get off the ground.

Hopefully with the upcoming push (DC uttered such at comic con) for DC OGN, perhaps Mills could get DC and O'Neill onboard.

DKMR?  DCOGN?

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 27 July, 2017, 01:05:27 PM
DKMR?  DCOGN?

'Dark Knight: The Master Race' (aka DKIII) and DC 'original graphic novel'.

JOE SOAP

Apestrife

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 July, 2017, 01:11:33 PM
DKMR?  DCOGN?

Sorry about that. Wasn't that much in a hurry that I couldn't have taken the time to just write those out.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I am going to pick up The Tempest when it gets collected. Quite enjoyed vol 3 and Nemo, even if they were nowhere near as much fun as the earlier ABC stuff.

Latter-day Moore is pretty good - see also Neonomicon and Providence - just been a while since he's put out anything really great.

sheridan

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 July, 2017, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 27 July, 2017, 01:11:33 PM
DKMR?  DCOGN?

Sorry about that. Wasn't that much in a hurry that I couldn't have taken the time to just write those out.

No worries, am I to presume that the Master Race is the newest creation of Frank Miller, seemingly trying his best to destroy any legacy he left with the first Dark Knight Returns? 

On another note - that John Pain looks interesting.  Not taken with the title character, but liking the Termight meets Marshal Law meets League of Extraorindary Gentlemen style imagery.

Apestrife

Quote from: sheridan on 30 July, 2017, 10:36:33 PM
No worries, am I to presume that the Master Race is the newest creation of Frank Miller, seemingly trying his best to destroy any legacy he left with the first Dark Knight Returns?

Actually, I think he did really good. Wouldn't mind if LOEG ended on a similar note as it :)

Mardroid

Yes, I haven't read it yet, but I've genuinely read positive things concerning the third book!

I was reluctant to read it as I wasn't keen on the second, but I may look out for it in future.