Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

The only Skip Tracer series that I can say that I did not like was the "Louder than Bombs" one. But still the frequency of Skip Tracers compared to other series is too much lopsided.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

You're better men than most, lads.

I've read about 200 pages of it so far over the last few years, and it's so bland I genuinely can't recall if the main characters name is "Skip" or not.

IndigoPrime

Devlin's great. But I genuinely don't get Tharg's love for Skip Tracer. It's not bad, but it's just... there. Perhaps a full re-read might make me appreciate it more, but it just doesn't spark for me in any way.

broodblik

Skip for me is like Pumpkin*, if it is in my plate I will eat if it is not in my plate I will not ask for it.

* Replace it with your veg of choice which you will eat but that is it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have ordered a Stainless Steel Rat... was worried I would miss out

I have enjoyed last Skip Tracer, and am really enjoying the recent Devlin stuff.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 May, 2021, 04:14:15 PM
I have ordered a Stainless Steel Rat... was worried I would miss out
Wasn't going to bother with this and then I saw the magic words: "including the stunning colour centre spreads as they originally appeared in 2000 AD"
We never really die.

Leigh S

So excluding Dredd, I have all of the stront in hardback, Fiends in Hardback.... was Third World War published in HB?

The Corinthian

Is it just me or is it peculiar that the July and August previews only note four ongoing strips in 2000AD? What's Tharg hiding? Surprise return for Slaine? Two months of solid Future Shocks? Double-length Skip Tracer specials?

(I can live with Skip Tracer on the grounds that I remember all the "how/why is this appearing so frequently?" series of the early 1990s and none of them were as smoothly inoffensive as ST.)

TordelBack

Quote from: The Corinthian on 21 May, 2021, 07:19:32 PM
(I can live with Skip Tracer on the grounds that I remember all the "how/why is this appearing so frequently?" series of the early 1990s and none of them were as smoothly inoffensive as ST.)

Wise words. I hated Sin/Dex and couldn't see the point of Dante,  more fool me.  And if nothing else ST gives Peaty room to develop as a writer.

Digression: I'd be on record as finding Art Wyatt's early scripts as highly competent but lacking that magic something (thrillpower?), but now Tharg has let him trot around the Command Module paddock a while he's grown into goddamned Arkle in my book: most of my favourite new series have his name in the credit box. Same applies to Eglinton, a lot of early short-distance promise, then nothing that quite clicked for me, until boom, "suddenly" he's winning the Grand National with Thistlebone.

2000AD gets all these plaudits as the cradle of British comics greatness, but that only works if you give strips and creators time. The bright flowers of early thrilldom started as seedlings hothoused in years upon years of anonymous work in war comics and girls comics,  they didn't just burst out of the ground one day, for all that it looks that way (exception to every rule: Alan Moore,  and possibly his enhanced clone Al Ewing). Now that growth takes place in the Zarjaz/FQ arena, or right in front of us.

Skip Tracer and Peaty teeter on the very edge of being something good, and they're certainly not bad, so if Tharg believes they can blossom if left to work on (competently) a bit longer, I'm all for it.

(It appears I've run out of metaphors to mix, so I'll stop)

broodblik

Quote from: The Corinthian on 21 May, 2021, 07:19:32 PM
Is it just me or is it peculiar that the July and August previews only note four ongoing strips in 2000AD? What's Tharg hiding? Surprise return for Slaine? Two months of solid Future Shocks? Double-length Skip Tracer specials?

This is always the case with these things. Even what is "advertised" does not even say that it will run that time  I can remember that The Out was mentioned coming back in June but not even mentioned for July or August.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Leigh S on 21 May, 2021, 06:03:22 PM
So excluding Dredd, I have all of the stront in hardback, Fiends in Hardback.... was Third World War published in HB?
It's still on the 2000 AD shop: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCA-B0076

The Corinthian

Colin YNWA

The Corinthian

Rob Williams on Facebook (shared by Chris Weston):

[spoiler]Don't call it a comeback. Sensitive Klegg incoming, by @westonfront & myself. In @2000AD[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Corinthian on 27 May, 2021, 03:40:32 PM
Rob Williams on Facebook (shared by Chris Weston):

[spoiler]Don't call it a comeback. Sensitive Klegg incoming, by @westonfront & myself. In @2000AD[/spoiler]

That sir is very good news - thanks for sharing...