Main Menu

Think a decade younger and tell me....

Started by judgefloyd, 02 October, 2020, 09:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgefloyd

I've been away for yonks, ie just over a decade.
Last time I was around, Dredd had some promising young clones coming along, having their own personality, teasing us about would one of them take over from him...
Stickleback was, I think, still around

I can't remember much else.  The progs were mostly awesome.  Can anyone tell me any personal highlights since then? With Dredd? With other stories?

Colin YNWA

So many.

End of Dante is just fantastic.
Two amazing Judge Dredd epics in Tour of Duty and Day of Chaos
Zombo
Brass Sun
Brink
and Lawless from the Meg.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably be able to give you a whole different list.

Funt Solo

Zombo's marmite - but now that I think about it I suppose it's unmissable.

---

I did something of a catch-up read (am still doing, actually) after a brief stint away (eight years, but that was two years ago) and wrote my thoughts down in a couple of threads, then got distracted and started again from prog 1.

Thrill-Coma 2010
Thrill-Coma 2010: Best of the Meg
2000 AD in Stages

Then I got distracted inside a distraction and turned the last one into a web site: 2000 AD in Stages
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Those 'promising new clone' stories you remember highlighted how Dredd's getting old and maybe bit creaky yeah? Well he's 10 years older now, so that's becoming even more prevalent.

Rico is still a mini-Dredd - currently running the MC1 mutant townships outside the wall, Giant Jr and Dredd have a less rosy relationship, but his fave protege is Judge America Beeny (guess who her parents were)

Chaos Day was huge - bigger than the apocalypse war, and a massive toll on Dredd. MC1 was so weakened, they almost fell to a Texas City takeover.

Logan is now chief judge and has introduced robo-judges, to great success. Even Dredd seems to be grudgingly accepting that he may have been wrong on that one (this plot thread seems to be the one that Wagner is handling, so I cannot wait to see how that's going to go)

And there's been loads of other great stuff, which you can handily buy collected - I'd recommend Brink, Kingdom and Absolom in particular.

And welcome back

Colin YNWA

Christ yeah how did I miss Kingdom off the list. In many way the quintessential 2000ad series.

If you want to get bang up to date you can't go wrong with Out.

broodblik

Here is a few that is not mentioned above:

Gordon Rennie

Jaegir -   Kapiten-Inspector Atalia Jaegir, a veteran of the war between the Norts and the Southers on Nu Earth. Now an officer of the Nordland State Security Police, working for the Office of Public Truth, Jaegir is tasked with pursuing war criminals who have so far escaped justice.

Aquila - A former slave turned gladiator crucified in 71 BC following the failed revolt of the legendary Spartacus. Crying out for vengeance as he died a slow and painful death, he was saved by Ammit the Devourer, who took his soul but granted him invulnerability in return for sending her the souls of evil men by killing them.

Dan Abnett

Grey Area - Its eponymous location is Global Exo Segregation Zone or 'Grey Area', a huge plot of land (originally in Arizona) used to house the large number of extraterrestrial immigrants that arrive on Earth. A massive shanty town which acts as a holding area, it is policed by armed and armoured Exo Transfer Control Squads.

The Out - The furthest edge of the universe, far into the future. Cyd Finlea is photojournalist working for the publishers Global Neographic, travelling deep into outer space — otherwise known as THE OUT — and cataloguing the sights and alien societies that she encounters. She's been doing this for so long, she can't remember how far she is now from Earth. This has a Halo Jones feel to it.

Feral & Foe - It is five years since the Last-of-all-War, when the Monarchy defeated the Malign Lord, ending the threat he posed to humanity. His former minions are scattered, hunted by the Wretchfinders and condemned to execution if caught. The warrior Wrath and the necromancer Bode are two of them. They were never happy to serve the Malign Lord (Bode in particular has cause to be aggrieved, since he was made a eunuch in order to increase his powers) but frankly, their lives really aren't going much better now that they've been declared Feral and Foe

Ian Edginton

Kingmaker - It is set in the enchanted realm of the Nine Kingdoms (the Kingdoms of Brass and Bronze, the Kingdom of Iron, the Kingdom of the Dryads, the Vitruvian Empire, etc) which is populated by magical beings. A good description as well is that this is sci-fi Lord of the Rings.

Scarlet Traces - Scarlet Traces is an unofficial sequel to the novel The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, exploring Earth's ongoing conflict with the Martians (who turn out to be invaders from outside the solar system who merely chose Mars as their first planet to conquer), and the scientific advances humanity has made by retro-engineering Martian technology. The Martians might have lost their first battle with the humans, but will they lose the war?

T.C. Eglington

Thistlebone - It centred around Avril Eason, sole survivor of a cult that intended to sacrifice her, and journalist Seema Chaudry, as they return to the isolated village of Harrowvale in search of the reasons for what happened.

Guy Adams

Hope - An alternate 1940s Hollywood. WWII is over, victory having been secured by occult means. Now, magic is a part of everyday life, its practitioners commonplace. Mallory Hope is one such skilled operative, though calling on the dark arts takes its toll on the user. He's also a private investigator, hired for all manner of down 'n' dirty jobs, but the one desperate case he wants to close is the whereabouts of his wife and son

Michael Carroll

Proteus Vex - Proteus Vex was once a soldier for the Imperium Ascendant, one side in a galactic war. Since the war ended (the Imperium won) he's been acting as a secret agent, cleaning up the mess left over.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgefloyd

Hey thank you very much everyone - very interesting and informative!
  I remember Zombo being fun when it kicked off, also wondered if it could keep being fun for very long.
  The first Scarlet Traces was total genius, would love to see some more
  Good to see Abnett is his usual hyperactive self and Rennie is still Rennieing

Will check all this out

broodblik

I forgot about Rennie's latest Diaboliks. If you like Cabalistics you will certainly enjoy this. It is in the same universe
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgefloyd

Thanks again.  I really enjoyed Cabalistics.  Did that finish up?

broodblik

Quote from: judgefloyd on 05 October, 2020, 08:31:03 AM
Thanks again.  I really enjoyed Cabalistics.  Did that finish up?

Yes, it did finish in 2007.  It came back for a last episode in the xmas prog 2111. It has been collected in its entirely as well: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/more-titles/GRN594