Main Menu

No advent calendar this year? Let's have something else.

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 November, 2020, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Given we're in the back end of November and there's no sign-up thread yet I'm going to guess there won't be an advent calendar this year. Pete 'Lovely' Wells has done sterling work over the years organsing this and most significently always kicking it off with a work of wonder - nothing means X-mas to me more than Disco Dredd - Well it seems like he's moved on and won't be here for the X-Mas cheer this year.

So there's no way I'd try to replicate the wonders of Mr Wells (the lovely) so assuming this is right - and this is just an assumption at this point - but it would be a shame to see nothing done to celebrate the talent and creativity on the board. So if folks where thinking of doing something I will create a thread to support this. Its not going to need signing up and if Pete (lovely) comes along it will quickly be sacked off for the traditional calendar. I just wanted to ensure folks there would be somewhere to pop treats.

I do this mainly so I get motivation to draw again, which it often took the advent calendar to make me get around to. My 'strip' is half done (and a bit rubbish - this isn't about talent its about trying - trust I've seen what I've done!) but it will be there and will have a home.

So if you are waiting to start your X-Mas board treat - don't, get working, get writing, get creative and we'll host a little place - nothing grand like Pete did - to give them a home in December.

Rogue Judge

I'm in, great idea Colin. The advent calendar is always a highlight; hopefully this motivates others to pick up a pencil this season as well.

The Monarch

i'll force my mate kazan to read something terrifying and record his thoughts....any ideas on what terrible 2000ad thing i should subject him to?

AlexF

The Monarch

TordelBack

Not the worst strip, Kola Kommandos, more a case of wrong place wrong time.  Be interested to see how it goes down.

This is a good project Colin, many thanks for taking on yet more hard thread-work.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2020, 09:28:44 AM
This is a good project Colin, many thanks for taking on yet more hard thread-work.

Trust me I don't want to build this up - there's next to no effort gone into this on my part - I'm hoping you lovely folks will do all the graft as ever!

ming

I'll do something and you can probably guess the medium with which I'll be working  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 23 November, 2020, 09:52:22 AM
I'll do something and you can probably guess the medium with which I'll be working  :)

That's the main reason for this! Can't wait...

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 November, 2020, 09:45:47 AM
Trust me I don't want to build this up - there's next to no effort gone into this on my part - I'm hoping you lovely folks will do all the graft as ever!

Can't fool us, you're just hoping you'll be immortalised in a flattering nude study, as I believe is the tradition.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2020, 09:57:32 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 November, 2020, 09:45:47 AM

Can't fool us, you're just hoping you'll be immortalised in a flattering nude study, as I believe is the tradition.

Damn I was hoping to be showered with gold, drugs and the nakes flesh of beautiful people - bloody Covid!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 November, 2020, 10:13:43 AM

Damn I was hoping to be showered with gold, drugs and the nakes flesh of beautiful people - bloody Covid!

We'll get onto Amazon and sort something out.
I'll contribute something to the kind-of-advent-calendar.  Where's Wellsy these days anyway?  He was the best of us.  Well, one of the bests of us, anyway.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 November, 2020, 10:19:56 AM

I'll contribute something to the kind-of-advent-calendar.  Where's Wellsy these days anyway?  He was the best of us.  Well, one of the bests of us, anyway.

He was, he certainly was that. Last I chatted to him he was busy with lots of other exciting things and was generally moving away from 2000ad - he was losing his love of the Prog a bit and so was drifting. He's on Faciebooks and he seems super well and lovely as ever their. Just has other priorities from what I can gather.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 November, 2020, 10:25:12 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 November, 2020, 10:19:56 AM

He was, he certainly was that. Last I chatted to him he was busy with lots of other exciting things and was generally moving away from 2000ad - he was losing his love of the Prog a bit and so was drifting. He's on Faciebooks and he seems super well and lovely as ever their. Just has other priorities from what I can gather.

Fair play, he's definitely been worth his salt around here.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 November, 2020, 10:25:12 AM
Just has other priorities...

I did hear Greggs have expanded their menu, that's got to be distracting.