Main Menu

Prog 2234: Plummet of the Ape

Started by Tjm86, 29 May, 2021, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

This is a great line-up of strips that bodes well for the next few weeks (though talking of Bode I presume Feral & Foe will be bowing out soon). 

'Adios, Rowdy Yates': Great old-school knockabout stuff from the Weston brothers (what? oh) with some lovely touches like the dignitary taken out by the ricochet and Dredd's mangled respirator at the end. Would it be churlish to ask why Dredd thought he could survive the block's demolition? Probably.

Mechastopheles: Apart from his being generally brilliant, I've noticed that across all his strips, the Rennie droid really knows how to sell an opening instalment; and this is no exception, hurtling from the fantastic trio of imps, to the Broken Crowns, to a majestically rendered sea battle (Boo Cook was an inspired choice as replacement artist) and finally the titular mecha itself... and still finding a spare frame to fill in the backstory! Exquisite... absolutely exquisite.

Department K: I have to admit I didn't really pay this much attention on its Regened appearances, but I'm very much liking what I'm reading here. And let's face it, art courtesy of top-tier art droid Dan Cornwell is never gonna hold a strip back, is it. Although I don't think this is the first time the Staring Championships have been interrupted by a furry starfish...

Feral & Foe: One of the things I love about Dan Abnett's scripts is that even in a five-page instalment where not a great deal happens, there's still something worth reading in every frame. Just a little joke, or a turn of phrase, or something to give a character colour. They're never just treading water.

Chimpsky's Law: Freed of any need to crowbar Dredd into the story, this absolutely shines. Special mention to the gorgeous little tableaux of the run-down apartment interior on the third page.

I can honestly say that I'm really looking forward to the next instalments of all four back-up stories, and great as 2000 AD is, that's not always true. As the time-honoured phrase goes: good proggage.

broodblik

What a good meg (I just wonder what happened to the other 1802 issues from May to June, mmm maybe that pesky dimensional shift or something)

Dredd – Weston on pictures and words and it turns out to be a delightful read. Like to tribute to the king himself, Carlos on the third page.

Mechastopheles – A great introduction to the world of the demons. Great to have this back the first full series was good stuff. Not always the biggest Boo fan but his work does suite the theme here.

Department K – Good first few pages and again a good staring start. Everything is just setup so lets see were this ride takes us. Cornwell's art also works well with the strip.

Feral & Foe – A lot of talking with a twisting end to the story. At one stage I tough it was Krog's soul that possesses Gyre. Great story from Abnett and Elson.

Chimpksy – Super opening episode with super splash screen to start off.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Andrew_J

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories
IN THIS PROG on the coupon and
enclose it with your entry.
1. Feral & Foe
2. Noam Chimpsky
3. Dredd

Dandontdare

Quote from: norton canes on 04 June, 2021, 11:17:21 AM
This is a great line-up of strips that bodes well for the next few weeks (though talking of Bode I presume Feral & Foe will be bowing out soon). 

'Adios, Rowdy Yates': Great old-school knockabout stuff from the Weston brothers (what? oh) with some lovely touches like the dignitary taken out by the ricochet and Dredd's mangled respirator at the end. Would it be churlish to ask why Dredd thought he could survive the block's demolition? Probably.

Mechastopheles: Apart from his being generally brilliant, I've noticed that across all his strips, the Rennie droid really knows how to sell an opening instalment; and this is no exception, hurtling from the fantastic trio of imps, to the Broken Crowns, to a majestically rendered sea battle (Boo Cook was an inspired choice as replacement artist) and finally the titular mecha itself... and still finding a spare frame to fill in the backstory! Exquisite... absolutely exquisite.

Department K: I have to admit I didn't really pay this much attention on its Regened appearances, but I'm very much liking what I'm reading here. And let's face it, art courtesy of top-tier art droid Dan Cornwell is never gonna hold a strip back, is it. Although I don't think this is the first time the Staring Championships have been interrupted by a furry starfish...

Feral & Foe: One of the things I love about Dan Abnett's scripts is that even in a five-page instalment where not a great deal happens, there's still something worth reading in every frame. Just a little joke, or a turn of phrase, or something to give a character colour. They're never just treading water.

Chimpsky's Law: Freed of any need to crowbar Dredd into the story, this absolutely shines. Special mention to the gorgeous little tableaux of the run-down apartment interior on the third page.

I can honestly say that I'm really looking forward to the next instalments of all four back-up stories, and great as 2000 AD is, that's not always true. As the time-honoured phrase goes: good proggage.

no need to review this prog - couldn't have put it better for every strip

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2234

1st - Mechastopheles - Great start with imps sharing the narrating and then Boo Cook's art esp. the second page with levitating "Broken Crowns"
2nd - Dredd - great story and art by Chris Weston, love the link between Rowdy Yates/Clint Eastwood/Dredd, well done Chris
3rd - Chimpsky's Law - Chimpsky on the case with some ape backstory

Really fun enjoyable prog well done Tharg and his droids

dweezil2

Quote from: Sean SD on 06 June, 2021, 12:42:10 PM
Dredd - great story and art by Chris Weston, love the link between Rowdy Yates/Clint Eastwood/Dredd, well done Chris

Yeah, that "..well whoever he was, I owe him my life" punchline was inspired!!!! :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

wedgeski

Quality prog. I especially enjoyed the ramp-up in Department-K from the previous week's Regened prog. Feral & Foe continues to make me snort with laughter. Chimpsky's Law nailed its opener with an intriguing historical backdrop. Mechastopholes looks amazing and seems ready to rock after a laid-back intro episode.  Bloody great!

Barrington Boots

I didn't get a chance to write this Prog up last week, but I really enjoyed it. Dredd was especially awesome but all round full marks for me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 June, 2021, 09:39:02 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 June, 2021, 09:40:34 PM
I'm thinking this is the inspiration, possibly, but there's another bell ringing that I can't quite place - might be a false alarm, though.
Vertigo's definitely the inspiration but that's not the version of the poster/cover I'm familiar with. Was thinking there had been a previous Prog cover riffing on the same source. Really & Truly maybe? But this was the closest I could find.

TV's Timetunnel?
DDT did a job on me

DrJomster

Very strong prog. Very strong indeed.

Loved seeing a full Weston Dredd, especially one written by the great man himself.

The Broken Crowns in Mechastopheles was a great concept and Boo's art worked really well.

Dept K is looking strong, again with lovely art. Curious to see what the dark and sinister threat is.

Feral and Foe continues to sparkle, lots of comedy moments and, yet again, very solid art.

Chimpsky makes an excellent non-Dredd debut. V interested to see where this goes. Plus bonus points for PJ on art duties.

Basically, like I said up top. Awesome prog. Lovely to see the tribute to Dave too.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.