Main Menu

Bolt-01 Cup - Best Strontium Dog - Qualifying Annuals and Specials

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 July, 2021, 06:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogie101

Top Dog 5

I recall getting the yearbook for Christmas and being blown by Dredd and SD in a crossover.

sheridan

Rogue Judge

Top Dog - 2 Points. Tight, fast-paced story with terrific MacNeil painted artwork featuring two top favorite characters...what's no to love!

The Sad Case - 1 Point. Humorous Kid Knee story that stands out, I've enjoyed rereading this one.

Beast of Milton Keynes - 1 Point. I like Billy Glum's appearances, classic and newer, and he was clearly important to Johnny. And that beautiful Carlos art (as always)

Town that died of shame - 1 Point. I'm going to show some love for Colin here as there will be plenty of time to gush over Carlos' art as we go along. Colin is so different than Carlos that he's the perfect artist to pick up the torch and continue Alpha's adventures, in my humble opinion.

Colin YNWA

Last chance to get your votes in on this one. Remember you can spread your 5 votes however you choose, but do it today and I'll tote up in the morning and we'll have our first Qualifier for the Tourney Proper - EXCITING!

For me this was pretty straightforward. I was surprised how little I remember of many of the annual stories but when I can up with the list two things came straight to my mind. The WHOLE of Top Dog being one of the most exciting things I've ever read in any comic and it remains so. And that double page spread from The Town that Died of Shame... but as I've said a panel (even a dp) doesn't make a story alone. But on that basis;

Top Dog 4
The Town That Died of Shame 1

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

We have our first qualifier for the Tourney proper - the big question is can they keep match fit as they will have a long wait.
What I've loved most about this one (well aside all the worry over whether I'd even got all the stories right!!!) was the diversity of voting. As ever Tharg's minions make it clear there are no right answers when it comes to 2000ad.

Strontium Dog: Annual 1982 - 0 votes

Incident at the Back o' Beyond - 2 votes

The Beast of Milton Keynes - 10 votes

Fever - 0 votes

Complaint - 4 votes

Incident at the End of the World - 3 votes

Top Dog - 32 votes

Assault on Trigol 3 - 1 vote

The Town that Died of Shame - 4 votes

Incident at the Birth of the Universe - 2 votes

The Sad Case (Prog 2001) - 7 votes

Valhalla - 5 votes and a quick rebuff!

So no surprise that the winner and first entrant into the tourney proper is the wonderful Top Dog whi was just one vote short of having the same number of votes as all other entrants put together - and in part that was due to some folks knowing it was going to win and spreading the love!

The Beast of Milton Keynes makes it into a play off which we can worry about later....