Main Menu

Do you remember 1989?

Started by McGurk76, 24 August, 2021, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: milstar on 25 August, 2021, 09:15:33 AM
Movies... Batman

Feck sake, how could I forget the Bat-madness of '89.

I was reading the UK Batman reprint title for a couple years at that stage, but I distinctly recall my first pre-internet spoiler own goal too - the excellent and accurate comic adaptation by O'Neill and Ordway, read it a few weeks before going to the cinema.

AlexF

I was getting to the end of Primary School and just getting into the weekly Prog - I'm another who only started reading every week with Prog 650 - although a lot of the comic was too grown up for me to handle!

As an 11/12 year-old I didn't have much going on but honestly it was a largely happy time reading comics, making my own Top Trumps and occasionally getting to watch 18 films with my big brother. Sorry to hear of those having rubbish times in '89.

On the subject of sad teen confessionalks, though, do any of you ever read Kit Power on Ginger Nuts of Horror? https://www.gingernutsofhorror.com/my-life-in-horror.html
I've a feeling it might resonate well with more than a few of you. My own youth couldn't be more different from Kit's (aside from a love of 80s horror movies), but he's an excellent writer who paints a superb picture of what thrills and pains lurk in the life of a genre fan. He's yet to mention 2000AD (that I've noticed), but he must've picked up a Prog here and there, surely...

Barrington Boots

Quote from: AlexF on 01 September, 2021, 10:24:50 AM
On the subject of sad teen confessionalks, though, do any of you ever read Kit Power on Ginger Nuts of Horror? https://www.gingernutsofhorror.com/my-life-in-horror.html

I've read a couple of these this morning after you posted this link and they do resonate - I think I'm a couple of years older than the author but he's got a lot of the same formative beats as me and a great way of communicating those. My parents could never understand how some things would horrify me so much as a child, but yet drive me to further explore those things. I'll be diving more into this blog on quiet work moments, thanks for flagging it up!

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 August, 2021, 09:38:29 PM
Throughout it, I kept reading, despite the increasingly obvious fact the comic really wasnt interested in me reading it.  It was a good ritual to show I'd got through another week.  Go to Nostalgia, drop into Reader's World. Rinse repeat. Maybe it was just a way to stay a kid as long as possible, because I was not equipped to negotiate the adult world in any capacity.

Leigh, I'm sorry to hear you had such a rotten time of it at this age. Your post really resonated with me as just a couple of years after 1989 I was in Birmingham myself, freshly enrolled at university and navigating what I now know was depression, and I too used to have a little ritual of visiting Nostalgia and then Reader's World each week, walking into the city to save bus fare and use uop a chunk of the day and picking up what I could afford to giving myself both a bit of purpose and a brief window into other worlds where I could handle things a little better: I felt a real bite of old sadness reading your words. I'm glad you made it through all that.
Costermongers was awful then too.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

I will need more that any of this to jog my memory....
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

oh! Heavily involved in the Anti-Poll Tax campaign...yes 1989, Thatcher tried it out North of the border and started her downfall  :)
DDT did a job on me

ming

1989 was okay for me, I think.  Finished sixth form, crap A-level grades but somehow good enough to secure my preferred place at Uni, which I deferred for a year so I could go and work in Australia (a love of Mad Max, Walkabout, Tank Girl and Neighbours pushed me in that direction I think).  Cue a year of haphazard but thrilling Prog-chasing in Melbourne - reading Zenith and the Horned God in occasional chunks was frustrating but utterly glorious.  There was a LOT of other stuff going on that year but 2000AD still had to fit in there somehow.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

1989?
first love. (with hindsight) the only true love.
soul ii soul at the fridge.
the stone roses.
kazuo ishiguro.
batman.
innocence.
and troubled souls.