Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Angelic vs. Judge Death Round 2 Heat 110

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 April, 2022, 06:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Three weeks and counting and some interesting thrills appear. Ones that I think are great and widely loved but might have one factor or another that might stop them going as far as they otherwise might? This Round I'm not sure this will be tested toooo much but good to see how they will fare.

Dredd villains derbyish here...I mean it's the kinda Liverpool vs Man U, Nottingham v Derby type Derby. It's not really a Derby but its close enough.  Judge Death is just the solo named stories remember. Think Frazer Irving.

Angelic - more info

Vs

Judge Death - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday April 23rd and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 April, 2022, 06:38:53 AM
it's the kinda Liverpool vs Man U

Hmmm.....is it? After last night? Not sure it's the same as Sadio Mane versus Harry Maguire😉.

For this one I'm voting Judge Death.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 April, 2022, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 April, 2022, 06:38:53 AM
it's the kinda Liverpool vs Man U

Hmmm.....is it? After last night? Not sure it's the same as Sadio Mane versus Harry Maguire😉.

For this one I'm voting Judge Death.

Well funnily enough when I wrote this one up I hadn't realised the timing of saying that was going to be so pertainent. Happy coincidence (from from my perspective!) that one.

I suspect this tie will be closer than the game!

IndigoPrime

I'll give the Death team credit for attempting to bring the character back to its horror roots, but some of what happened just felt contrived and predictable. And Wagner couldn't help but at times veer off into comedy again. I found it fine to re-read but have no real interest in revisiting it any time soon.

Angelic is an odd one. Broadly, I'm not keen on ret-cons. We already have the origins of the Angel Gang, as told by Wagner/Grant. Within the 'version' of Dredd at the time, they made perfect sense and I didn't have any problem with them, even if they were very throwaway and villain of the week. But. Rennie has teased out something special with this alternate take on the group. I'm always a little suspicious of 'redeem a hideous character' but what we've seen so far just works. The script is compelling. The art is superb. I actually give a shit about these characters. So an easy win for Angelic.

rogue69

AlexF

Yeah, total agreement with IP. That first series of Judge Death by Wagner and Irving was a real breath of fresh air at the time, but it's not enough to mark it out against Death's earlier appearances in the pages of Dredd.
Angelic, by contrast, is largely better than the Angels have ever been; Lee Carter's art holoding its own against Mick McMahon and that's saying something. I'm dead curious to know what's going to happen storywise when the whole fmaily is finally united. I imagine GRennie is curious about that, too...

Anyway, Angelic.

Blue Cactus

Angelic. Like others I'm not always keen on alternative versions of existing characters but this one is compelling and looks great too. There's a lot of this about what with Megatropolis and Fall of Deadworld and I'd generally rather have brand new stories but honestly these are all really well done series.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Judge Death as a standalone series is mostly two stories: My Name Is Death and The Wilderness Days - which are good, but not the best of Death.

I prefer Angelic's gritty, deeper take on what were originally quite vaudevillian foils. That's not to say that Angelic doesn't owe a lot to the originals, of course.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++