Main Menu

Thread suggestions?

Started by Emperor, 26 July, 2009, 09:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Going on previous discussion folks would like to see a general thread for collecting links, tips, etc. on:

• Drawing
  • Lettering
  • Colouring
  • Writing scripts

It might be a good idea to have a handful of links to get people started (as we can't edit the first post), like the scripts list at Barney:
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=scriptindex

Of course, if anyone has a very specific problem or question then it might be better to start a separate thread.

Also what about general threads or publishing and/or pimping? I'm sure Bolt has plenty to provide on both :)

Creative criticism threads - presumably one per "work" (so it could be a panel or a strip if you like)> Just make sure you read the rules stickied to the forum - it is creative criticism and "I hate it" isn't helping anyone (granted neither is a simple "I love it" but at least that isn't discouraging ;) ).

I was looking at this thread:
http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,9857.0.html

It starts out as a bit of a show and tell thread but then a few people pitched in doing some colouring, including a number colouring the same picture. It was something I pondered when PJ Holden showed a recolouring someone had done of the first page of his recent Dredd. Mixing all that together what about:

Challenge threads - posting something like a page of script for the artists to have a crack at or a black and white pin-up or sample page which people could colour? If that seems a generally good idea how would people like to run it? Have it open ended and people post up as they complete the work or set a deadline so people can avoid any influences (although not peeking at the rest of the thread would suffice as it isn't a competition).

Any other things people would like to see?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

mygrimmbrother

These all seem like genuinely sensible ideas, Emp. As there seem to be so many of us who wnat to contribute to the comic world in one form or another, threads such as these would be really useful.

Kev Levell

I thinks those are all really sound suggestions.
I have opened one new thread that shows the sort of criticism I believe is helpful - I thought it was worth starting the ball rolling with that as a sort of sacrificial lamb that may be deleted at a later date.

Kev Levell

Lonely Hearts - a section where creators of all disciplines can come together.

Emperor

Quote from: KevLev on 27 July, 2009, 01:41:30 PM
Lonely Hearts - a section where creators of all disciplines can come together.

I was wondering about a thread for people seeking creators for projects. It might be we want to steer clear of cash based projects are there are too many ways for people to get burned.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

VinceBot

Quote from: Emperor on 27 July, 2009, 04:38:44 PM
It might be we want to steer clear of cash based projects are there are too many ways for people to get burned.

Yes please, I know you've go the idea but just to clearify for everyone else - I'm not going to allow anything involving money within this forum. Keep all that stuff to classifieds, pms, email, whatever. Just don't do it in this forum.

Emperor

Quote from: VinceBot on 27 July, 2009, 11:18:47 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 27 July, 2009, 04:38:44 PM
It might be we want to steer clear of cash based projects are there are too many ways for people to get burned.

Yes please, I know you've go the idea but just to clearify for everyone else - I'm not going to allow anything involving money within this forum. Keep all that stuff to classifieds, pms, email, whatever. Just don't do it in this forum.

Thanks for clarifying - that was my interpretation of the guidelines. Anyway if you have a paying gig you'd want to approach the artist directly or cast your net wider. What I was thinking of was somewhere for people to post looking for an example script or a collaborator on a webcomic or if you are an artist with an idea looking for a writer to help develop it. Keep it tight, no banter that kind of thing. Of course, there might not be much call for it but if there is it'd be worth making sure the first post spells out the scope of the thread.

Kerrin

A gallery.

People post finished pieces/pages that they would like to share. Each piece has a link to a seperate thread to discuss/critique that particular item. The gallery itself would have no text other than the link to the relevant discussion thread. First post in the discussion thread is the artwork and whatever the creator would like to add before the melee ensues. 

VinceBot

That isn't a bad idea, but the forum isn't yet receiving enough submissions to warrant this kind of thing.
I don't want to put too much weight on creators to do certain things and scare newcomers off.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 30 July, 2009, 02:32:31 PM
A gallery.

People post finished pieces/pages that they would like to share. Each piece has a link to a seperate thread to discuss/critique that particular item. The gallery itself would have no text other than the link to the relevant discussion thread. First post in the discussion thread is the artwork and whatever the creator would like to add before the melee ensues. 

Have a look at the idea I posted here:

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,25681.msg443592.html#msg443592

It might be easier to use Flickr/Picasa to draw everything together under common tags, using software specifically designed for this kind of thing.

Kerrin

Yep, I missed that Emp'. Some sort of gallery would be good, however we actually do it.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 30 July, 2009, 04:30:06 PM
Yep, I missed that Emp'.

Well the reason for that is because I posted it after you posted that ';)

Quote from: Kerrin on 30 July, 2009, 04:30:06 PMSome sort of gallery would be good, however we actually do it.

Doing it using the external image galleries means it should be pretty easy to get it going. For example, mygrimmbrother has his entry for the latest art competition on his blog:

http://mygrimmbrother.blogspot.com/2009/07/back-to-fuhrer.html

I'd assume if he looks in his Picasa account it should already be there and all he'd need to do is tag it with something like "2000AD", "2000AD forum" and "2000AD forum art competition June 2009" and that should mean it'll slot straight in with this. All you really need to do is specify the tags and then anyone can add their work in and you can link it in from here.

Just nosing around I see Kevlev has a nifty Picasa plugin on his blog and has organised his images on there so might be able to offer some advice on using this to collect things together:

http://picasaweb.google.com/KevinLevell

Emperor

OK the first colouring challenge has started. If anyone knows of any other work that might seem good for such a challenge then drop a note in here and we'll see what we can do.

Also if anyone knows of a page in the sample scripts that is flexible enough to allow for a range of artistic interpretations (which would make it ideal for an artistic challenge) then point it out and we can look into that too.

Any other ideas? Then don't be shy.

Dandontdare

I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to be able to browse all the art comp entries in one gallery (or even just the winners).

Emperor

Quote from: dandontdare on 05 August, 2009, 03:29:16 PM
I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to be able to browse all the art comp entries in one gallery (or even just the winners).

Points eagerly to an earlier post. This would be a quick solution to that which could be started right now. With the right tagging people can jump straight into all the forum competition threads and then narrow it down to the different competitions using the more specific tags.