Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Or even shut.. whatever you prefer!

thejudgemuffin

Don't think the Slomo would make a difference. She goes when she goes...she's not gonna stop her heartbeat any quicker by not having Solomon. Just come back from seeing it and as a man with a Judge tattoo on my arm I am damn proud.
Great twists
Great lines
Beautiful little in jokes (I don't think I blinked for the full length of the film)
Anderson, spot on
So many times I looked at Dredd and thought yeah I remember that image from such and such an issue.
And for the first time in 30 years of reading I felt the fear he must have being under threat all the time...and is there any more disconcerting than a smiling Judge? Made me think of the psycho one that went to South America with that imaginary blue guy in his head..

Smiley judges freak me out!
But not as much as growling ones...and what a nice surprise to be able to understand him unlike Batman!

Loved it, absolutely epic!

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: thejudgemuffin on 07 September, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

is there any more disconcerting than a smiling Judge? Made me think of the psycho one that went to South America with that imaginary blue guy in his head..

:D

thejudgemuffin

Anyone else feel as excited as they did when they used to walk back from the shops with the comic under their arm. I'm genuinely giddy. Haha. Love it!

James Stacey

One word review. More later.  Arsom!

Goaty

So do anyone love one scene when Dredd did "Fuck You Too" to Ma-Ma with her no 1?

Buttonman

Who-hoo that was excellent. Really lived up to the hype and it was great scene after great scene. Spotted loads of stuff - who did Joe Soap blow for that appearance?! Krysler, Chopper, Kenny Who? - amazed the comic was nodded to so much - real labour of love for all concerned. Can't wait to go again and the DVD frame by frame. Any justice in the world it'll do a bomb.

Durendal

Paying 12 quid to watch it in fuzzy 3d kinda took the shine off. I had to go ask for replacement glasses twice as it looked like they had been attacked with a cheese grater but it was still fuzzy and shit.
The MPAA/BPI wonders why all the cool kids are stealing movies off the internets. It's because Odeon don't give out free lube so they can fuck me some more. They could at least try to understand the basics of prostitution and leave me some cash on the sideboard when they fuck me.
Fuck you Odeon, fuck you all the way to hell.

I give this movie this smilie face  :o despite the cinema being a jerk.
Also screw Odeon.

Danbo

Quote from: Durendal on 07 September, 2012, 10:10:04 PM
Paying 12 quid to watch it in fuzzy 3d kinda took the shine off. I had to go ask for replacement glasses twice as it looked like they had been attacked with a cheese grater but it was still fuzzy and shit.
The MPAA/BPI wonders why all the cool kids are stealing movies off the internets. It's because Odeon don't give out free lube so they can fuck me some more. They could at least try to understand the basics of prostitution and leave me some cash on the sideboard when they fuck me.
Fuck you Odeon, fuck you all the way to hell.

I give this movie this smilie face  :o despite the cinema being a jerk.
Also screw Odeon.
They had to stop the film at my flicks because the wrong lens was on the projector...methinks its a reoccurring problem?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Mudcrab

Quote from: thejudgemuffin on 07 September, 2012, 09:58:26 PM
Anyone else feel as excited as they did when they used to walk back from the shops with the comic under their arm. I'm genuinely giddy. Haha. Love it!

I do! Like the day I still vividly remember standing on the High Street and my Mum giving me Prog 87 out of the shopping bag (to shut me up no doubt) and gazing at a stupendous Bellardinelli cover of Big Hungry  :D

So yes, I started today with an aching jaw from the dentist, now it's aching from not having stopped grinning since coming out of the pictures!

So much to say, a lot of which would just echo what a lot of you have said, such as "Urban IS Dredd". He really is. From the start I suffered a bit from having read and seen so much of it (well we have been drooling over it all for years!) and having a bit of a critical eye on it all, but at some point, I was completely immersed, it WAS Dredd and from the Avon (sorry, he'll always be Barksdale to me. True) mindfuck scene (but building up from the mother's apartment) onwards, Thirlby WAS Anderson. Can't compliment both of them enough, bloody fantastic!

Totally missed Goaty! Was looking out for it too, but that bit was too engrossing I guess (having seen the clip posted). Will give you a cheer next time Goaty! As has been said, much closer viewings to come!

Some of the more memorable bits for me, aside from a lot mentioned already, were me and my 2 mates all raising a fist and half shouting "Yay" when the Chopper grafitti appeared  :D and Dredd's "Yeah" at the end, utterly Dirty Harry!

One complaint. It's not enough! I want more! Much more!

Shouts to MichaelVK, Lawgiver was great! You should be reinstated with a full judicial pardon for the sequel!

One thing that stuck me. Ma Ma's death scene. I'm not saying it was influenced by it and I'd be more impressed if it was, but it reminded me of this...

Isis - Holy Tears (if you don't like the music, skip through, the main bit's at 4 minutes  ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjhxnVcmgg

So yeah, Merry Dreddmas to each and every one of you  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Dandontdare

Loved it, what an awesome film, Dredd's character caoptured perfectly... I won't go over all the fantastic bits as they've all been mentioned, but I had one big problem with the movie.

From what I knew beforehand, I assumed that Slo-Mo would slow the user's perception of time, thereby giving them super-fast reflexes, so they could dodge bullets etc; but it didn't seem to do that. They just got to watch themselves being blown away in slow motion. As a drug it makes no sense whatsoever - what's the appeal? If you live in a shitty slumblock, you want a drug that makes time go away, not spins out the grimness, however pretty your bathwater looks. Of course there may be other effects not mentioned (maybe you get that emotive orchestral music too),but it seems infeasible that this would be a popular narcotic.

Plainly, it's just a handy maguffin to justify lots of slow drawn out exploding heads and shattering explosions in 3D. Now I've always disliked slow-motion as a cinematic technique, it smacks of melodrama and a lazy stretching out of a moment for painfully maximum effect. For example, I loved the Matrix films,. but hated all that bullet-time shit. In Dredd, I loved all the real-time action but got irritated every time it went slow mo.

I read through 17 pages to see if anyone else mentioned, this, si I guess it's just me.

Best film I've seen in years though, but after all the talk round here for the last week, I don't think anything could have lived up to that level of expectation.

Mudcrab

Nah, that'd be weird, although admittedly awesome. I see it as very much like acid. Er, or so I've been told.

I liked the slo-mo bits but you've got a point I guess and in respect of the Matrix comparison, that's exactly what that did do, but Slo-Mo doesn't. It certainly wasn't overdone in the film, but by Grud, the bathwater did look lovely  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Toni Scandella

Also saw it today, also thought it was arsom.

Couple in the queue behind me debating whether to see Dredd or TDKR. I obviously turned around and recommended Dredd, and that made their indecisive minds up for them - so Dredd 2, Batman 0 there...

I can never see 3D, and was worried that I'd have massive headaches and would not be able to see the picture clearly - as it turned out, I just couldn't see the 3D effects but the picture was clear with the glasses on and was not a problem - still not worth the premium price to me but hey - at least it didn't ruin the experience!

Anderson really stood out for me - I thought they got her character spot on, and I loved the references to other mutants!

Really quiet screening though - might be because I went to a 4:50pm showing. Rest of cinema also deserted.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 September, 2012, 10:55:12 PM
What's the appeal? If you live in a shitty slumblock, you want a drug that makes time go away, not spins out the grimness, however pretty your bathwater looks. Of course there may be other effects not mentioned (maybe you get that emotive orchestral music too),but it seems infeasible that this would be a popular narcotic.

Best film I've seen in years though, but after all the talk round here for the last week, I don't think anything could have lived up to that level of expectation.

I think  that's the point of the drug. Your block is a grimy, crime-ridden shithole. Slo-mo makes everything beautiful, gives you a sense of euphoria and seems to last for aaaaaaages. I guess that's why they take it.

As for the hype, we watched the film in a room with Wagner and Ezquerra!!!! They could have put Mary Poppins on that screen and I'd have been raving about it!

Chuffed you loved it DDD.