Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJW

How do the sexual scenes come across? I don't mind a bit of nookie, but I don't expect them to be gratuitous without serving the needs of the story.  :o

COMMANDO FORCES

This is when Anderson invades the prisoners head and she reads what he wants to do to her. The way she reads people is cleverly shown on screen and with this one sequence, the act he is doing to her is in the background and isn't on screen for long but I'm sure some will have the pause button ready when the blu-ray comes out!

It's quite interesting how she uses her power with the same prisoner a little later. She lets him think he is in control but she then does her stuff and shows him who really is in control of his mind!

MattJW

Isn't there a thing with Ma-Ma biting someone's willy off as well?  :-\

COMMANDO FORCES

Correct! This is when Anderson is back in the blokes head and he thinks he's in control and makes her go down on him. We see this from a side view and slightly behind, he thinks he's won until she pops up from the side and then he looks down and it's not her but Ma Ma biting it off.

Very cleverly portrayed sequence I thought!

FoldsFive

Fisticuffs

I loved it, Urban was spot on as Dredd - "Freeze!! ...  Why?" :D And I thought that alot of the scenes were very well done, including Andersons psychic scenes and the infamous sexual scenes were fine and in keeping with the film and the scene at hand. Having not read the script previously I was very surprised when the 'other' Judges turned up and threw a spanner in the works, but it worked well I think, and brought up some decent opponents for Dredd.

If I had one minor criticism it would be that it suffers a bit from Promotheus-itis, in that alot of the film is given away thanks to the trailer. Somewhat difficult to avoid though I imagine.

nicklambo

Wow....Just Wow.....Loved it....Urban is Dredd...The uniform looks great...Anderson just got better and better....Slow Mo was used to great effect.....( I would see it in 2D next time though although there are a couple of stand out 3D moments)...Oh and sat and had a drink with John Wagner, Alex Garland and had my photo with Karl Urban and the Ezquerra....So I think you could say it was an amazing day all round....!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

radiator

Some random bits that I loved:

Dredd: "Drug bust".

Dredd: "Yeah".

The piece of music used when the four judges arrive on the scene.

The scenes of 'control' with the banks of screens - spot on.

The rocking main theme (or nearest the film has to one) 'Mega City One'.

The Clan Techie's camera lens eye - took me a while to decipher what that was.

Hi ex to the head.

Lawgiver self-destruct.

The way the gang members all called Headey 'Ma'.

radiator

Dredd setting the lawmaster to stand guard while he pursued the perp - and the lawmaster responding, just like in the early comics.

Dredd: "Hotshot".

radiator

Anderson: "He's thinking about trying to take your gun".

radiator

Steve Green

The moment Dredd faces off against Ma-Ma across the atrium. But a ton of favourite bits like those mentioned above.

The psychic scenes are really well done, and the trailer really doesn't do the slomo scenes justice, with regards to 3D.

I was a bit worried that they might overdo the slow-motion/gore but I thought the balance was perfect.

The redband clip in the film sounded and looked amazing projected in 3D with a decent sound system.

I enjoyed it more than TDKR and waaayy more than Prometheus. But it's hard to tell how it will play to non-Dredd fans, there is a great interplay between Dredd and Anderson, and the basic setup of the way the city works for anyone unfamiliar to get it.

Just really hope they get all the things they need for a sequel as it's in safe hands with this crew.

Steve Green

Oh, and I want more of Judge Volt.

W. R. Logan