DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Volt...? Did I miss something?

Another bit:
Anderson's revelation with Cathy.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Goaty

After the massive gun attacks on the floor by Ma-Ma, in way of "Fuck you, Dredd!"

I love how Dredd did "Fuck back at you" by threw out Ma-Ma's number 1 and walk away without looking back! So cool!!!

Radiator, Volt is on badge of one Judge at the block main door.

Steve Green

Quote from: radiator on 31 August, 2012, 10:55:57 AM
Volt...? Did I miss something?

Another bit:
Anderson's revelation with Cathy.

Volt was the black judge who was trying to get in before the 911 group turn up - I loved his delivery.

radiator

Was the other guy Guthrie then?

Michaelvk

Gonna love an extended 'unrated' cut of this, if there's going to be one..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

Pretty sure there won't be - Alex said they used pretty much everything they shot. The budget didn't allow the luxury of shooting lots of extra stuff.

Steve Green

Quote from: radiator on 31 August, 2012, 11:52:52 AM
Was the other guy Guthrie then?

I think Guthrie was just one of those names that popped on IMDB...

Albion

I'm sure I saw an Owen Krysler reference. Anyone else see it?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Alski

So... in keeping with the thread title, are there any actual reviews from the jammy bastards that saw it last night?

Okay, so there was a link to one, but it was not much of a review.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve Green

Quote from: Albion on 31 August, 2012, 12:26:05 PM
I'm sure I saw an Owen Krysler reference. Anyone else see it?

The film poster outside the block cinema, yep.

radiator

I think the problem is that we're too close to it right now, and can't really divorce the film from the experience and circumstances of the screening. Pretty much everyone agreed that they'd need to see it again before they could really give a proper opinion on it.

I'd say that there are enough cool things in the film to impress most cinemagoers - from the soundtrack (and overall punishing sound design - the screening room was literally rattling at times, very cool) to the action to the often gorgeous shot compositions.

Some might be put off by the aesthetic or feel of the film, which is - how can i put it? - a bit grungy, or B-Movie. It doesn't look like a slick Hollywood movie at all, and as expected, at times the low budget is somewhat evident. I remember that someone tweeted a while back about how it 'doesn't look very expensive', which isn't entirely unfounded (I happened to like the rough and ready feel, it seems appropriate for a pulpy 2000ad adaptation). Others may be put off slightly by the excesses of the film - though, having heard all of the talk about the violence, I was actually surprised at how mild it is - wouldn't have batted an eyelid if it had been passed with a 15 certificate. It's also pretty bleak stuff - there is definitley humour in there, but it could probably have done with a bit more of it.

The pace is excellent though - things don't really let up from the first scene to that last - and it's refreshing to see an action film that is this lean, focused and doesn't outstay it's welcome at all.

The principal actors are all great, but it's undoubtedly Urban who is the star here. He's dark, curt and  powerful and is just the right side of funny without straying into Arnie one-liner territory - even the 'Judgement Time" line is nowhere near as cheesy in context. Special mention to Dohmnall Gleeson as Mama's Clan Techie - he has an interesting relationship with Mama and along with Anderson he is central to the heart of the film and is one of the only Cits/bystanders who really have any screentime.

For the casual viewer, it's most likely a solid, enjoyable action film - a 3/5 or 4/5. For fans of Dredd and/or a specific type of genre movie, it's a smash.

I hope that's a fair assessment.

radiator

I thought the front and centre Wagner/Ezquerra credit (which is literally one of the first to come up as credits roll) was a lovely touch, too, and typical of the thoughful approach to the film by all inviolved.

radiator

QuoteSome might be put off by the aesthetic or feel of the film, which is - how can i put it? - a bit grungy, or B-Movie. It doesn't look like a slick Hollywood movie at all, and as expected, at times the low budget is somewhat evident. I remember that someone tweeted a while back about how it 'doesn't look very expensive', which isn't entirely unfounded

I should clarify that I'm only talking about specific elements here - plenty of things, such as the cgi-enhanced cityscapes - look just as polished and lovely as anything you'd see in a big blockbuster.

Spaceghost

Like Radiator, I'm still trying to process it all. It blew me away, that's for sure.

Urban IS Dredd. The voice, the mannerisms, delivery, the terse, quick and minimal way he speaks and moves. In the action sequences Dredd is like a coiled spring with a beautiful economy of movement. When he hits, he hits to kill. I can't imagine anyone else portraying Dredd so perfectly.

Similarly, Anderson is fantastic. She's not the confident wise-cracker from the comics, this is her first day on the job and she's nervous and eager to please. As the story progresses, the relationship between Dredd and Anderson develops in a really believable way. The psychic scenes are brilliant and Thirlby really nails Anderson's playful, 'cat with a mouse' attitude to the perp who's mind she's invading.

So many great action sequences, so many nods to the fans, so many references to the comic. I couldn't have asked for a better film. Mega City One is low tech and much nearer to our time but it it's still recognisably MC1.

Little things that stayed with me -

Dredd - "It's all the deep end."
Hottie House, Shoppera and Chopper graffiti in Peach Trees.
The Fattie stuffing his face in his apartment.
Joe Soap's MASSIVE billboard.

On top of the film being FANTASTIC I met Karl Urban, Alex Garland, John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra and so many lovely boarders. It's great to be able to put faces to the names I see every day on this forum. I had such a great time.

Thanks to everyone involved for a brilliant, unforgettable night.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...