Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 September, 2012, 12:11:43 PM
Q-When Dredd blasts that van off the road and one flees why does he start blasting people?I know he's on drugs but didn't get the impression it made you kill crazy.
I have to say I was fine with this: desperate act of a desperate man who knows the Judge is on him and that means he's more or less already dead.
N-(for Niggle :D) Besides what I've already put. The completely contempary clothes of the citizenry compared to Dredd,
I was dreading this from the stills,but felt it worked fine -it's really a Riot-Cop outfit morethan a futuristic costume.
QuoteCCTV guy working with ultra low-tech when it's such an important position for Ma-Ma.
I honestly didn't notice- I'd have to see it again.

An 'N' for me was that I personally couldn't help feeling sorry for poor old Ma-Ma: she seemed to me as much a victim of the city as anyone else. When you see her mug-shot in the beginning it suggests that back when she was a hooker was the happy/innocent time in her life,- and a lot of really bad things have happened since then.

radiator

On a more fundamental, non notpicky level, you could argue 'what is so bad about Slo mo?'.

Given the circumstances, isn't it reasonable that people are seeking some kind of escape? Is it a particularly sinister or dangerous drug? Yeah those guys ran over a bystander, but that's more to do with them being in a high speed pursuit. Does the film do enough to tell us why it needs to be eradicated?

Is it more to do with the Mama clan becoming powerful off the proceeds, so powerful they could threaten the status quo ('we could take the whole city')? Perhaps. Perhaps it's deliberately ambiguous, mirroring the 'war on drugs' in our own world?

darnmarr

darnmarr

Seriously, on the SLO-MO point, I think it worked that we didn't know anything about it: any description of it's actual effects/addictiveness that raise the arguement of 'how 'bad' is it?' would have done nothing for the story... it's a new future-drug that makes things beautiful...I think we can infer that there's a nasty downside without having it explained.

Fisticuffs

It doesn't need to be anything more than addictive for it to be dangerous, people crave it, can't afford it, turn to crime to pay for it, things snowball and before you know it things are just getting worse and worse.

radiator

One thing I was thinking about: in the leaked script, there's a scene just after the chaingun massacre, where Dredd dispatches a squad of Mama's goons, picking them off one by one, breaking necks and snatching them as smoke engulfs them and they begin to panic. It's seriously cool, like something out of a Predator movie.

I don't remember seeing this in the actual film, though I did have nip off for a wee about halfway through, so did I miss it?

Likewise, theres a scene in the featurette where we see Dredd pacifying two unarmed perps with the 'stun' setting on his gun. Don't remember seeing that in the film, either.

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 04 September, 2012, 12:52:37 PM
One thing I was thinking about: in the leaked script, there's a scene just after the chaingun massacre, where Dredd dispatches a squad of Mama's goons, picking them off one by one, breaking necks and snatching them as smoke engulfs them and they begin to panic. It's seriously cool, like something out of a Predator movie.

I don't remember seeing this in the actual film, though I did have nip off for a wee about halfway through, so did I miss it?

Likewise, theres a scene in the featurette where we see Dredd pacifying two unarmed perps with the 'stun' setting on his gun. Don't remember seeing that in the film, either.

Well, Dredd stalking the goons in burnt out floor, and Ma-Ma hears the sounds,  and Dredd threw out Ma-Ma's number 1 goon and walk away. That's fucking coolest!

WoD

darnmarr

I think I remember all that stuff happening, but now I'm not sure...

Anyhoo, CF made a very good point about the uniforms being realistically 'off-the-rack' in a 'one-size-fits-some-better-than-others' way but if there were a sequel, I'd like to see the uniforms, and the helmets in particular tailored better to suit individual judges heads: Lex looked great, ( as did the black Judge who responds to the call first what's-his-name?-gruddamnit!) but I thought the others less so, particularly the wummin judge.

CYCLOPZ

The neck snapages are all done tasteful like, on-screen. If you missed the kids getting stunned then you for something to look forward to.

Goaty

Quote from: darnmarr on 04 September, 2012, 01:00:30 PM
I think I remember all that stuff happening, but now I'm not sure...

Anyhoo, CF made a very good point about the uniforms being realistically 'off-the-rack' in a 'one-size-fits-some-better-than-others' way but if there were a sequel, I'd like to see the uniforms, and the helmets in particular tailored better to suit individual judges heads: Lex looked great, ( as did the black Judge who responds to the call first what's-his-name?-gruddamnit!) but I thought the others less so, particularly the wummin judge.

Volt

CYCLOPZ

Michaelvk

Quote from: Goaty on 04 September, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
Well, Dredd stalking the goons in burnt out floor, and Ma-Ma hears the sounds,  and Dredd threw out Ma-Ma's number 1 goon and walk away. That's fucking coolest!

Without looking back.. That was awesome.. Fuck you Ma-Ma..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

darnmarr

Goaty

Quote from: Michaelvk on 04 September, 2012, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 04 September, 2012, 12:54:48 PM

Without looking back.. That was awesome.. Fuck you Ma-Ma..

Yep! Best Fuck You Too moment I ever saw!