Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Quote from: Goaty on 06 September, 2012, 09:26:49 PM
I really love one scene where Dredd "FUCK YOU TOO, MA-MA!"
Spotted you Goaty ;)
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Goaty

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 07 September, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
Spotted you Goaty ;)

Awesome! I was surprised that my Goaty last 5 seconds, not blink 'n' miss!

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

WhitBloke

Poor old Danny Cannon.  Who he again?

Just got back.  Still recovering from Thrill Bloat.  That is without doubt the most drokking merciless portrayal of the pulverising effect of an explosion's blast wave on a body that I could have imagined ever seeing in any movie!  Oh, and the rest of the film?  Drokk me bandy, that was...  well, no other way of putting it.  That film is Dredd.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Keef Monkey

I'm assuming this is the thread for folks who've seen it, so SPOILERS AHEAD....

Just back from a day at the cinema, I was on my way out of the morning screening and saw another was starting so bought another ticket and went right back in. That's actually never happened to me before.

Still reeling from it a bit, but it's a very good sign that I loved it the first time and then enjoyed it considerably more the second.

It's just tremendous. It nails every element. The city looks incredible, the Judges look brilliantly badass, the weapons are all really chunky and the action really bone crunching and visceral, and I found myself clenching my fists really hard with childish excitement when the lawmaster first tore onto the screen.

If I keep listing the things I loved about it I'll be here all day. Seriously though, what about those performances?!? Thirlby is fantastic as Anderson, Headey is so incredibly menacingly badass as Ma Ma, and Urban just is Dredd. He is him. His amazing turn coupled with the writing gives Dredd just the right balance of inscrutable monolithic toughness and gallows humor (there are some brilliantly funny lines in there, but importantly it's the right kind of funny, and perfect for the tone).

I can't quite believe that after months of hearing people criticize those early shots and predicting a turkey, they've completely knocked it out of the park. In fact, while watching the film it crossed my mind (and this might get me shot down) that I prefer the Dredd uniform in the movie than in the comics. Sorry, it just looks amazing in action.

I'm banging on I know, but it's hard to stop. It wasn't as violent as I expected, or rather it's violent but rarely (if ever) as gory as the slo-mo shootout that the clip was taken from. It still has some shocking moments though, and the screening(s) I was in you could feel the room reacting to some deaths.

I did panic at one point when Dredd says "2 way split" because before I processed what he meant I thought he was about to fire a Double Whammy shot.

Also, not at all a criticism of the movie, but the trailers show far too much. I guess if they get people into the cinema they've done their job, but some of the really crucial moments and lines are in those trailers (particularly the Ma Ma death, it's madness to show that) and that does affect your experience viewing something. Also, it's obvious that the mid-movie revelation that Ma Ma is in the mastermind of the slo-mo is supposed to be a reveal, but it's in the voiceover of the trailer (see also the[spoiler] "It's a ship!" [/spoiler]reveal in Prometheus). It's a shame because it's clearly been written to be a surprise or to up the stakes at that point, but you knew it when you sat down.

Anyway, that's me criticizing the trailer campaign in retrospect, when the main thing is that the movie itself is absolutely fantastic. I'm just such a very, very happy Dredd fan today and am already planning a third trip  :D

FoldsFive

It's a week old but got lost in a myriad of posts at the time .. a week old but spoiler free regardless :)

http://www.foldsfive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/dredd-3d-verdict-spoiler-free.html

Keef Monkey

Quote from: WhitBloke on 07 September, 2012, 05:20:55 PM
Poor old Danny Cannon.  Who he again?

Just got back.  Still recovering from Thrill Bloat.  That is without doubt the most drokking merciless portrayal of the pulverising effect of an explosion's blast wave on a body that I could have imagined ever seeing in any movie!  Oh, and the rest of the film?  Drokk me bandy, that was...  well, no other way of putting it.  That film is Dredd.

Absolutely, you've distilled my rambling into one sentence. It is Dredd.

While I'm here though, the Kenny Who? graffiti made me chuckle, but the Chopper one actually made me emit a little excited yelp that probably made me look quite mad.

Can anyone clarify a line for me though? There's a point where Ma Ma is talking about the territories she can expand into and she discounts one of them, saying "That's still .... territory". Neither time could I work out what she said there, "red" territory or something? Thought it might be a cool reference that I missed.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 September, 2012, 05:24:16 PM
I'm assuming this is the thread for folks who've seen it, so SPOILERS AHEAD....

Just back from a day at the cinema, I was on my way out of the morning screening and saw another was starting so bought another ticket and went right back in. That's actually never happened to me before.

Still reeling from it a bit, but it's a very good sign that I loved it the first time and then enjoyed it considerably more the second.

It's just tremendous. It nails every element. The city looks incredible, the Judges look brilliantly badass, the weapons are all really chunky and the action really bone crunching and visceral, and I found myself clenching my fists really hard with childish excitement when the lawmaster first tore onto the screen.

If I keep listing the things I loved about it I'll be here all day. Seriously though, what about those performances?!? Thirlby is fantastic as Anderson, Headey is so incredibly menacingly badass as Ma Ma, and Urban just is Dredd. He is him. His amazing turn coupled with the writing gives Dredd just the right balance of inscrutable monolithic toughness and gallows humor (there are some brilliantly funny lines in there, but importantly it's the right kind of funny, and perfect for the tone).

I can't quite believe that after months of hearing people criticize those early shots and predicting a turkey, they've completely knocked it out of the park. In fact, while watching the film it crossed my mind (and this might get me shot down) that I prefer the Dredd uniform in the movie than in the comics. Sorry, it just looks amazing in action.

I'm banging on I know, but it's hard to stop. It wasn't as violent as I expected, or rather it's violent but rarely (if ever) as gory as the slo-mo shootout that the clip was taken from. It still has some shocking moments though, and the screening(s) I was in you could feel the room reacting to some deaths.

I did panic at one point when Dredd says "2 way split" because before I processed what he meant I thought he was about to fire a Double Whammy shot.

Also, not at all a criticism of the movie, but the trailers show far too much. I guess if they get people into the cinema they've done their job, but some of the really crucial moments and lines are in those trailers (particularly the Ma Ma death, it's madness to show that) and that does affect your experience viewing something. Also, it's obvious that the mid-movie revelation that Ma Ma is in the mastermind of the slo-mo is supposed to be a reveal, but it's in the voiceover of the trailer (see also the[spoiler] "It's a ship!" [/spoiler]reveal in Prometheus). It's a shame because it's clearly been written to be a surprise or to up the stakes at that point, but you knew it when you sat down.

Anyway, that's me criticizing the trailer campaign in retrospect, when the main thing is that the movie itself is absolutely fantastic. I'm just such a very, very happy Dredd fan today and am already planning a third trip  :D

Good stuff there, Keef.

I had some of the exact same observations regarding the two way split and the Slo Mo production - it took me a moment to readjust that that was supposed to be new information.

Glad it ssems to be so well-received, I was expecting at least one or two of us to take against it.

QuoteCan anyone clarify a line for me though? There's a point where Ma Ma is talking about the territories she can expand into and she discounts one of them, saying "That's still .... territory". Neither time could I work out what she said there, "red" territory or something? Thought it might be a cool reference that I missed.

No, she's just talking about another gang - the Reds, or Redds. You can see the name in Mama's origin montage.

WhitBloke

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 September, 2012, 05:29:16 PM

Can anyone clarify a line for me though? There's a point where Ma Ma is talking about the territories she can expand into and she discounts one of them, saying "That's still .... territory". Neither time could I work out what she said there, "red" territory or something? Thought it might be a cool reference that I missed.

I think she said it was still RED territory, Mr Monkey.

WhitBloke

Quote from: WhitBloke on 07 September, 2012, 05:35:15 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 September, 2012, 05:29:16 PM

I believe Radiator's ears were at least as sharp as mine at that point, Mr Monkey, though probably sharper since I was busy being blown away like a first-timer unlike he!  :)  I think she said it was still RED territory.

Spikes

Very good, very good indeed.
A brilliant introduction to the world of Dredd, so please - let there be a sequel(s).
Its low budget origins didnt really show, or take you out of the movie, i thought. Kinda like smaller scale movies anyway, but Dredd, overall looked great. And Mega City One looked the biz, though id have liked to have see more of the city - a bit more colour, and it cant all be slums, surely.
Thought the 3D worked really well, and in several scenes, absolutely so. Was all i could do to stop myself reaching out and trying to touch things! MaMa, Anderson and of course Dredd were all spot-on, and i liked how Dredd (the film) didnt always focus on Dredd (the character), as with the comics, the city and its characters do often take centre stage, though not for too long. And i hardly ever thought about the comic Dredd whilst watching this, so id say Dredd now has a life outside of the prog, which is summat that couldnt be said back in '95.  The much talked about gore/blood/guts/willie chewing wasnt OTT, and in truth, that visible either, though its certainly an strong film. Caught a good few nods to the forum, but i suspect i missed many as well.
Goaty, was that graffiti figure on the wall, yours? And was that a cameo by the actor who plays Judge Minty?

For a workday, and a gloriously sunny one at that, there was a decent audience present at my screening.

W. R. Logan

The Sherman Kid

Finished work early and saw it again this afternoon, actually enjoyed it more the second time round, no nerves about it being poor.Picked up more of the easter eggs this time, like the Judge Child reference and Fatties Rule, still haven't spotted them all yet, but I'll be definately seeing it again and again.The soundtrack also sounded even better for some reason.
Besides the main characters special mention also of Domhnall Gleeson as Clan Techie (CCTV guy)and Langley Kirkwood as Judge Lex who were both excellent.
Does run well as an intro movie, which hopefully (fingers crossed) it is.

CYCLOPZ

Goaty