Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Sadly I lost Mr Kermode at the Robert Z'Dar reference.

Spikes

Quote from: Goaty on 07 September, 2012, 05:48:18 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 September, 2012, 05:38:53 PM
Goaty, was that graffiti figure on the wall, yours?
Yep  :D

No, not that one Goaty, at another point in the film there appeared to be a Goat like horned figure/drawing that had been graffiti-ed onto a wall.

Zanti Misfit

After seeing this I'm still a bit shaken and frazzled.  About 8-9 folk in the audience and Mrs Misfit the only female. (The scariest part of the experience was emerging from the theatre into a darkened and empty multiplex foyer - soulless, unsettling  and resembling Peach Trees Block itself).

This is a film like no other, it had a unique look and feel and really is quite artful (hate the word 'arty') for a frenetic action pic.  Safe to say, Urban IS Dredd, but for me, this was Anderson's film (What an awful first day at work...).  Olivia Thirlby makes the part her own (and is gorgeous! ) - How many of us will be freeze-framing the  inside-your-head  sex scene when the DVD is released?  Oh, just me then. 

Ultra violent, fast paced, sweaty and grimy (I felt like having  a shower as the end credits rolled) there are just too many stand-out scenes to list (fave; the van chase and the fate of the hapless pedestrian; - horribly, bleakly funny). And this film is weird - ( no one seems to mention just how unnerving it all appears)Yes, it is grounded in a claustrophobic blood & bullets grungy reality, but the whole movie is a surreal experience (and not just the 3D or Slo-Mo effects - the tone is beautifully strange).

To conclude: I loved it, so did my Dredd-savvy wife, but here's hoping there's a little more futuristic/sci fi elements in the sequels.(if we get any sequels, that is).

Oh, did you all spot the Judge Child reference?

Goaty

Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 September, 2012, 06:01:59 PM
No, not that one Goaty, at another point in the film there appeared to be a Goat like horned figure/drawing that had been graffiti-ed onto a wall.

Really?? Alex Garland mentioned to me, there is three "Goaty"s there... So you found 2nd one!!

Which scene it was before or after so I will check it at cinema tomorrow!

Michaelvk

Goaty, you jammy git! 3 references! That's just showing off..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 07 September, 2012, 05:47:54 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 07 September, 2012, 05:42:38 PM
Judge Child reference

Missed That, Where?

Poster outside the phone booth that Dredd uses as a set up to grease some perps.

Goaty

Quote from: Michaelvk on 07 September, 2012, 06:06:30 PM

Thoughts you should know as you work there!

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 07 September, 2012, 05:39:25 PM
Kermodes review is online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/kermode

Don't understand what his problem with the 3D is, it looked spectacular and really added to the film, unless his own eyesight has a problem with it like some others.

Danbo

Missed most references bar Goatys and a Joe one ,think it was Mr Soaps old name??

Judge Child ? nope missed,too busy being in utter shock at finally getting a 2000AD film.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Spikes

Quote from: Michaelvk on 07 September, 2012, 06:06:30 PM

Innit!

Quote from: Goaty on 07 September, 2012, 06:03:44 PM
Which scene it was before or after so I will check it at cinema tomorrow!

Blimey errrr, sorry but its all still flying round my head, so i cant remember exactly. Was on-screen and visible for a good few seconds though. Think it was around the point when Dredd first leaves Anderson with the perp. Cant think, but if it comes back to me.....

Michaelvk

I had no idea.. They rarely ever let me out of the office, and I practically had to beg to go work on set..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Keef Monkey

Never caught the Judge Child reference, was it the film poster? I figured that must have been important but I never quite clicked to what it was there for.

Albion

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 September, 2012, 06:18:01 PM
Never caught the Judge Child reference, was it the film poster? I figured that must have been important but I never quite clicked to what it was there for.

Yes, the name Owen Krysler is on it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Michaelvk

By the looks of things the second wave has gone in.. I'm on the third wave for a 2130 landing.. Though I reckon it might be quiet due to the stupid football..