Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Albion on 07 September, 2012, 06:20:37 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 September, 2012, 06:18:01 PM
Never caught the Judge Child reference, was it the film poster? I figured that must have been important but I never quite clicked to what it was there for.

Yes, the name Owen Krysler is on it.

It was called Krysler's Mark or the Mark of Krysler

Pete Wells

Not a review as such but the highlight of my day was my brother ringing me as he left the cinema, babbling like an excited seven year old! What a special day this is!

Michaelvk

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 September, 2012, 07:27:18 PM
Not a review as such but the highlight of my day was my brother ringing me as he left the cinema, babbling like an excited seven year old! What a special day this is!

Where's a like button when you need it?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Robo-K33F

Glad you guys have been enjoying the film.

Now, has anyone been inspired enough by The Judged to get an all-over head tattoo?

Steve Green

Give Burdis a couple of spare moments.

Danbo

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 07 September, 2012, 07:36:56 PM

Now, has anyone been inspired enough by The Judged to get an all-over head tattoo?
No but I'm thinking of a full arm of a Dredd comic page,pannel,speech bubbles the works...this got me thinking

http://www.binnit.com/view.php?i=5033b06110c9b

Imagine some classic McMahon or Bolland
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

chuffsteruk

No, but for a brief, insane, moment, I did think of cutting my knob off and then getting a tattoo on my testes saying"Ma-Ma was here"...

Michaelvk

Chuffster, that's one helluva compliment.. I suppose it'd need a matching one on your ring piece saying 'sly was here'
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

chuffsteruk

Quote from: Michaelvk on 07 September, 2012, 08:09:25 PM
Chuffster, that's one helluva compliment.. I suppose it'd need a matching one on your ring piece saying 'sly was here'

"...and he raped my childhood"??

:lol:

Robo-K33F

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 07 September, 2012, 08:04:43 PM

No, but for a brief, insane, moment, I did think of cutting my knob off and then getting a tattoo on my testes saying"Ma-Ma was here"...

That's dedication!

dweezil2

Just want to thank everyone involved in making such a brilliant film-it was so good , I saw it twice.

With more viewings pencilled in tomorrow.

Deeper musings on Dredd to follow, but for now I'd just like to say that the highest compliment I can give is that I would jump at the chance see Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby reprise their roles and explore more stories set in Mega-City One and beyond!

Please make it so Mr Box-office takings!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

I'm going into my review relatively cold having just got home and not having looked through this thread I've also avoided much of the movie talk here in an seemingly futile attempt to stay spoiler free (which I'll come back to), so apologies if what I say is going over old ground, I'll find out in a bit when I read this thread. I'm also assuming in a thread with this title there is absolutely no need for spoiler tags. So beware as there are some beauts to come I suspect.

Overall though I'd say the film is a qualified triumph. The main qualification being the constraints put on it by its budget and therefore its scale, in terms of how far it could go with showing the city and its people. The extent it was able to do this meant that it all but lost one of the strips main strengths, that of satire. Shame but understandable. That said it became one of the films strongest points maybe as it made it incredibly focused and wonderfully focused on the characters and there interaction. The best thing about it being Dredd and Anderson's relationship. The principal actors were fantastic, Urban and Headey in-particular.

One bit that I really didn't get on with was Dredd forcing Ma-Ma to take slo-mo right at the end there. While it lead to some stunning visuals and therefore I can see why they did it, it seemed too vindictive for Dredd and really didn't sit well with me. Mind since Wagner has had nothing but praise what do I know!

Whether by osmosis, carelessness, or just the bloody way they make trailers these days I seemed to have the story and the end in my head already. Shame as if I'd have gone in completely cold I think it would have been all the more enjoyable. Still there were still some surprises, who knew about the rogue Judges (well people who read the leaked script I guess) but that was great.

It looked wonderful, again limitations aside, and as I've never seen a 3D film before (A tenner to see a film when did that happen!??!) but was really pleasantly surprised by how well it was used to enhance, rather than as a gimmick. The same with the Slo-mo bits, not over used and done very effectively.

So many wonderful touches and nods of the head to so much that immediately make this a DVD purchase so I can see how many more I can spot.

I'm not a believer that comic stories are generally well served by adaption to film and so went in to this without the same feelings of hype that I know many here have (mind this is the first time I've seen a film in the first day of release since I think the Star Wars re-releases back in the 90s!). Given that though this was a very effective adaption and one of the better ones I've seen and really backed up Alex Garland's love of the character. It was a hard and powerful film that squeezed as more character out of the situation than I had any right to expect.

As I said a qualified triumph.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 07 September, 2012, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: W. R. Logan on 07 September, 2012, 05:39:25 PM
Kermodes review is online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/kermode

You're in it.

Finally listened to it and most of the letter made in on the show but they cut out my funny bit towards the end 8-?

Steve Green

I read the slomo bit at the end was more to help delay the detonation of the trigger, not sure if that was the case or not though.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 September, 2012, 09:34:18 PM
I read the slomo bit at the end was more to help delay the detonation of the trigger, not sure if that was the case or not though.

Arh now that would shout me up, hadn't considered that.